burningforce
10 IQ
hope this is the right forum

I am looking for better then average books/dvds that cover every part of acoustic/electric guitars and how to fix them. From scuff marks, to setting up a guitar, to finding out different guitar types.

I want to purchase a guitar, but have no place local to setup the guitar for me when I get it, let alone knowing which guitar is right for me.

So I figure I will do a lot of research and learning before i make a purchase whether it is a $90 guitar or an $1000 one. Just would like the knowledge to fix or deal with problems as they arise.

*Note*
I have a ibanez grx20 that I can practice working on, some of the wood broke off behind the nut, the strings are touching the frets and i assume the neck is not right as the previous owner said he messed with the truss rod.

thanks
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
StewMac.com has all kinds of books, how to videos and tools.

You can get lots of information on youtube for free. Thats how I learned about certain things.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Guitbuilder
10 IQ
The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine available from Stew Mac is a good start. It shows how to setup repair and maintain electric and acoustic guitars. A great book for any guitar player, repairer, or builder.
burningforce
10 IQ
thanks for the info both of you

i will check out that book, that is one I had my eye on.

as for youtube vids, i mean they are helpful that you can see what the person is trying to explain, but how knowledgeable is the person making the vids?I guess I can buy the book then just use youtube vids as visual reference.
seljer
UG Resident
242 IQ
the youtube user FruduaTV is a luthier and despite the funny accent has a decent set up videos regarding basic setup (intonation/string height/etc..). He doesn't just show you how to do it but gives an explanations as well.