backlash92
468 IQ
About a year ago I ended up making some upgrades to a Starcaster by Fender, for those of you that aren't familiar with them they're basically beginner guitars sold at retail stores around the holidays. I needed a little bit more bite out of my guitar so I decided to slap on a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup I received from a friend after he made some upgrades to his Jackson. At the time I didn't really mind but basically on clean channels I don't get much of any buzz or feedback, but when I turn on distortion I get a pretty annoying buzzing sound.

I'm wondering if maybe I should replace the pots because the ones on there can't handle the humbucker or if it may just be bad wiring?
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
10 IQ
pot value won't cause hum so it will be wiring...pic of the wiring will help
backlash92
468 IQ

Basically that right there. incase you can't tell the red and white are taped together and not connected to anything
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar
673 IQ
looks like you've got the wires the wrong way around ground to signal, signal to ground?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
guidothepimmp
23 IQ
You should be using a 500k pot for buckers ..

Hot to the switch is ok, or you could wire it to the hot lug. But if you went from single to bucker , then you're likely still using the 250k pot?
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Does the buzz go away when you touch the strings?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
10 IQ
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I don't know exactly whats going on but it looks like the shield of the pickup is connected to the switch?

yeah it looks like the bare is soldered with the black wire to the ground on the switch.....which is wrong

the green and the bare wire need to got to the pot and the black to the switch (one of the lugs will be bridge position

also you need to solder the red and white together (doesn't look like they are in the pic)
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Nov 11, 2012,
backlash92
468 IQ
ok so I just realized this is an old pic of when I first tried to install the humbucker. Right now I have it wired green to switch and black to the back of the volume pot. Both of my tone pots are disconnected and the red and white are soldered together. I don't have access to a picture right now but I will try to update later if I can

edit: as far as buzzing, no doesn't stop when I touch the strings or the bridge. Like I said before it's only noticeable with distortion on. I'm sure its something with this guitar because I use the same setup with an ibanez I have and those pickups don't have the buzz with the distortion
Last edited by backlash92 at Nov 12, 2012,
backlash92
468 IQ
The bridge is grounded, there's a wire running from the volume pot to the bridge. I'm wondering if maybe that white cable on the lower left of this picture might be a problem. But I doubt it, since its to the output jack and I have the buzzing issue with the humbucker only. Another note, the pots are 500k so thats not the issue either. Maybe just the messy soldering job I did?

EDIT: another question. This guy >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOqtJw0cbQ
is wiring with a similar setup (going from sss to hss) and he did black to switch and green and bare to pot. Is that how I should be doing it ???
Last edited by backlash92 at Nov 12, 2012,
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Different pickups have different color wires for hot and ground
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
backlash92
468 IQ
I suppose I'll just leave it as is then, I can't figure it out .-.
LeviMan_2001
1,782 IQ
So does any hum go away when you touch the strings? It should. Now are you sure you really have a seymor duncan pickup? Because check out this picture. Different manufactures have the same color wires, but connecting to different things. Which could be problematic.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Also, buzz will always become greater when you switch on distortion, that is obvious. But the humbucker should be much much quieter (noise wise) than the singles.
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding
10 IQ
Quote by IronMaiden76
Different pickups have different color wires for hot and ground

This....as I told you in my last post the BLACK wire goes to the switch and the GREEN goes with the BARE wire to the pot....do this and your buzzing should go away