moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
i currently have 3 working basses. all yamaha rbx series i have a 170, a 270 and a 375. If i were to find a replacement neck for either the 170 or the 270, could i defret only the new neck and change it if and when i need to? its not really a case of could i, more of a 'should i?' is there anything detrimental that can happen due to somewhat frequent neck changes? i don't want to just defret one of the two incase it all goes wrong etc
hopefully i didn't ramble on and hopefully i'm not being as silly as i think i might be
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
I might be a little drunk (no comma) but defretting is a really easy job that no one should be afraid of. Defretting, sanding, filling and sanding again is really easy though the varnishing stage requires a lot of patience and (as I recently found out) a dust free environment.

Defret the cheapest one and then buy a new neck if you think you ****ed it up.

Use flatwounds, then you don't need to give a **** about varnishing the neck.
moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
spaz: i defretted my first bass and it was somewhat of a botch job, i ended up getting sand and other dirt under the laquer-y varnish stuff which made the g string completely unplayable past 7th fret and i don't wanna end up losing a working bass.
danjo: i was just thinking theoretically to have an interchangeable neck
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by moody git
spaz: i defretted my first bass and it was somewhat of a botch job, i ended up getting sand and other dirt under the laquer-y varnish stuff...

How!?
watchingmefall
Government is hell
1,458 IQ
IN THEORY... You CAN have an interchangeable neck. But IMO it would be a pretty big hassle. Between changing strings, retuning, adjusting trussrod, tension and bridge position.

I'd get a cheap bass (like a Squier VM) and toy with it if you want to try fretless or other strange modifications.
moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
i stopped concentrating and slightly dropped the neck onto my patio - was doing it outside.
needless to say i thought i'd just continue putting it on over the dirt and hope it would work.
sometimes i amaze myself with what i end up doing.

EDIT: if i could i'd buy a couple of cheap basses and fiddle with them endlessly but i'm out of space - and money.
i think what i'll do is save money and look for a 270f (though its now discontinued?)
Last edited by moody git at Nov 11, 2012,
OtamotPuhctek
10 IQ
Quote by moody git

i think what i'll do is save money and look for a 270f (though its now discontinued?)

Why not sell the 170 to help finance the 270F. When one comes up, you're in a better position to jump on it. No real reason to keep the 170 with a better 4 & a 5 on hand.

Oh, I can see the possibility of frequent swapping of necks leading to the loosening of the screw holes in the neck pocket. Not right away, but down the line.