woodsballplayer
20 IQ
Hello, I'm looking to get my girlfriend an acoustic guitar. She has pretty small hands and doesn't really enjoy playing my martin. I don't want to get her a kiddie guitar that you'd see at walmart, those are too small and are garbage. Is there something inbetween a regular guitar and the kid sized ones? I don't have much knowledge on acoustic guitars.

Another thing, I'd like to cheap it cheap, say under 120. I don't want to say I don't have much faith in her but... I don't have much faith in her learning I'm going to try my best.

I don't mind buying one and setting it up better, I just want one that's smaller and isn't garbage. Nothing annoys me more when a guitar goes out of tune every 5 seconds.

thank you
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Viban
UG's resident bum
150 IQ
What does she not like about it? Is it the body size or the neck thickness? If it's the neck thickness then you'll probably wanna take her to a guitar shop and have her play around until she finds something comfortable. If it's body size than I'm sure anything lower than a full dread would be fine for her, something that is a little less thick and a little smaller around.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
200 IQ
sounds like she just isn't used to the stretching it takes initially to play the guitar. the thinnest nut on a guitar is generally 1 5/8" nut - you don't mention what martin you own, so we can't guess if it has a 1 11/16" nut or wider, but i have very small hands (i'm 5' 3" and my hands are small for my height) and play a wide nut by preference (1 7/8"), so i'd say your girlfriend's hands aren't too small - she's just not had time to adjust.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
woodsballplayer
20 IQ
I'm sure most of her discomfort comes from not being used to moving her fingers, the body size didn't seem to bother her
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist
50 IQ
Ovation makes a thinner neck than most. Have her try out a Celebrity.

What's the longest word?

Shiiiii......plus the added time it takes to hit (in your vehicle) whatever started the word.
1979 Martin D-35
1979 Ovation Adamas W597
Ovation Custom Legend 2079 AX CCB
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
200 IQ
actually they don't make a thinner neck than a large variety of brands. not sure why you think that.

Quote by mymartind35
Ovation makes a thinner neck than most. Have her try out a Celebrity.

What's the longest word?

Shiiiii......plus the added time it takes to hit (in your vehicle) whatever started the word.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
stepchildusmc
30 IQ
i have Ovations and the necks 1 11/16" nuts. they are easier to play because of the "D" style strat type necks. they feel like electric guitar necks. neck width is the same, depth may be a bit shallower, not sure.
if she's looking to play more fingertyle i wouldnt recommend it. a wider neck is much better for it. strumming and a lot of fingerpicking is ok on them but for playing melodies i usually pull out a more traditional flatback.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Still, its a matter of personal comfort- Kaki king is, what, 5'0"?- and she's a big fan of Ovations. And she's big on finger style...at least, her version of it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.