what things do you engage or disengage in your chain. All I do is switch from a short delay to a long delay on my two timer and that is it. I'm curious to see what the rest of GG&A does so post away and discuss.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
it all depends, i can go into a solo many different ways and i like to mix it up to make it more interesting.

my OD is 2 channel, so sometimes i'll engage a little more distortion. i step on the wah a lot. i'll engage a vibe effect. i have a boost i might use. if i am going over the top i'll engage the fuzz (usually with my OD cascading into it). sometimes reverb, sometimes delay, sometimes i'll even do play with the mutron biphase and do some convoluted stuff with the channels.

i can also not use any effects. if i am plugged straight into an amp i might switch pups, or just change my dynamics. in fact, many times even if i have effects at my disposal i'll still just change my playing dynamics when i go into a solo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 12, 2012,
I play a nice descending slide, hit the delay and fuzz pedal, hit a note and start adding vibrato from subtle to extreme xD.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I program the rack to whatever that song requires. Maybe a boost, maybe some compression, a change in EQ perhaps, maybe some delay, and of course amp channel.
Whatever horse suits the course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I wanna step up the intensity I hit the good ol' control bypass switch.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I sometimes use a very subtle Phase 90 (model on my M9) to highlight the sound (for lack of a better word).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Switch from bridge humbucker to neck single coil. I'm dead serious.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I do any combination of up to four things:

1. Engage the 2nd Master on my Vengeance, which is a simple volume boost

2. Engage my Reverb, which seems to thicken up the sound and bring some extra attention to it

3. Engage the Mids function on my footswitch, which is set to boost my mids.

4. Switch to my Neck Pickup for a smoother, more liquid sound.

Once I throw my Wah Pedal back into the equation, I'll probably use it for certain solos. I really enjoy the expression wahs provide, and if I'm not using it for that, I'll either push it all the way forward for a treble boost, or I'll pull it back to get that smoother kinda tubular sound - kinda like switching to the neck pickup, but with a kind of vocal, throaty aspect to it.

For smaller stuff like fills, I usually either hit the Mid Boost or just do nothing. The way our band mix is set up, it's not really necessary to boost for something so small.
Depends on the song. Mostly just a volume boost.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by gumbilicious
it all depends, i can go into a solo many different ways and i like to mix it up to make it more interesting.

How could the answer be anything but this? 'Soloing' isn't even a specific technique...

There's any number of things you could be trying to achieve by 'soloing' and each one should warrant its own effects.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

There's any number of things you could be trying to achieve by 'soloing' and each one should warrant its own effects.

yup...
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
When I play a solo, I engage my heart and soul. Sometimes some delay. Sometimes a TS-9. Sometimes even a wah.

But mostly my heart and soul.
I step on my TS-9, add a lil delay and more reverb. then roll up my tone.
I don't do anything at all. I didn't realize I was in such a minority.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Not even roll up your guitar's volume knob a bit? Or change pick ups? I like to differentiate my one a little bit from rhythm.

I should point out though; I'm just jamming with friends, not actually playing gigs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i forgot to mention, sometimes i light the guitar on fire or bring out half naked dancing girls. i use a midi board to control all that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If playing a lead with gain, switch to the lead channel that is set up as a tad louder than the rhythm and clean channels. Depending on the solo, I'll switch to the neck pickup and roll back the tone pot a tad for optimal smoothness. If I need to achieve feedback easier, then I turn on my clean boost pedal.
If the solo is clean, then I switch both pickups on, and bypass the effects loop for a slight boost in volume.

That's about it, as my current chain is guitar>Clean Boost>TS-9>Digitech Whammy>Amp
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by tubetime86
Not even roll up your guitar's volume knob a bit? Or change pick ups? I like to differentiate my one a little bit from rhythm.

I should point out though; I'm just jamming with friends, not actually playing gigs.

I'm playing a solo. That differentiates me from the rhythm.

EDIT: I guess it could be due to the fact that I don't think a solo should dominate a mix. I think it should blend in with the mix as well as any/everything else. To me, solo is just a short style of playing, essentially I treat solos the same as riffs, it's just that one guitarist is doing something a lot different than the rhythm.

Probably also relevent to the fact that when I record, I don't record a solo on top of the L/R rhythm tracks, I make the solo one of the L/R tracks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 12, 2012,
I usually add in a few more fingers. Sometimes delay, but I normally run that all the time before my NS2 to get a thick sound without all the noisey tailend. I'm with Offworld, I don't really add much for a solo.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Offworld92
I don't do anything at all. I didn't realize I was in such a minority.

I'm with you. I don't change anything either, except channels when going from clean to a distorted section for the solo, but that's self-explanatory.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler