I just got a esp ltd viper 300m, it has active EMG 81/85. When I play any chord through the distortion channels on my vypyr modeling amp it sounds terrible. Past guitar had passive pickups and sounded fine through these effects. Playing single notes, it does not sound bad. Do I need a special amp like the manual says for the active pickups?
I don't think so. Have you tried turning down the gain on the amp? Perhaps try rolling back the volume knob on the guitar.
Turn the tone knob on the guitar down
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Make sure you're battery isn't dead. I had an active piezo system in one of my guitars, and for some reason when the battery died it made the magnetic (passive) sound all distorted and shitty.
I adjusted the tone and volume and it just goes from muddy to terribly distorted. It does not do this on the clean channels... Gain does not really help, I want gain obviously and with very little gain it sounds muddy. I tried it with a new battery as well.

Thanks
The only other thing I can think of is turning the bass down on your amp. Unless you want your tone super saturated with bass, you shouldn't have your bass control above 5 when playing with any kind of heavy overdrive/distortion.
Could it be a problem with the amp?

Also the guitar is not in very good tune because i don't have my tuner with me.
any new guitar you buy you should immediately get it setup with a licensed Guitar Tech. The intonation could be way outta wack and make your overtones/partials/subharmonics go crazy and make gain very chaotic and shitty. Make sure connections on the electronics look solid and the quik-connects under the pickups are fully pushed in.
If you are going from passives to EMG's you are gonna notice a big difference. What type of music are you playing?

Did you try the guitar on another amp before you bought it? How did it sound?

I've never used a vyper, is it a practice amp you have? This may not be optimal for EMG's (at least that's what it says in the commandments stickied up top here.)
Tuning your guitar properly is always a good place to start.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Huge Guy
If you are going from passives to EMG's you are gonna notice a big difference. What type of music are you playing?

Did you try the guitar on another amp before you bought it? How did it sound?

I've never used a vyper, is it a practice amp you have? This may not be optimal for EMG's (at least that's what it says in the commandments stickied up top here.)

I just tried my old cheap guitar on the amp and it did the same thing, it used to sound good. It seems like an amp problem to me. It seems you are right about the vypyr, it's just a $100 15w modeling amp for my dorm. It seems I am in for another amp anyway as this one is cheap, however i'm not sure what to look for but I was thinking the line 6 pod. I have not used it on another amp, but like I said my old guitar sounds bad through it as well.
Quote by Perry125
I just tried my old cheap guitar on the amp and it did the same thing, it used to sound good. It seems like an amp problem to me. It seems you are right about the vypyr, it's just a $100 15w modeling amp for my dorm. It seems I am in for another amp anyway as this one is cheap, however i'm not sure what to look for but I was thinking the line 6 pod. I have not used it on another amp, but like I said my old guitar sounds bad through it as well.

Glad you found the problem! Have fun amp shopping.
I found the problem within my amp. The input jack was supposed to have a support, but mine was either broken off or was never installed. This means that the jack flops about and the connections were loose. Also, the tape which is supposed to hold the ribbons down is ineffectual. What a cheaply made piece of equipment. It's not like I throw the amp up against the walls.
Quote by Perry125
I found the problem within my amp. The input jack was supposed to have a support, but mine was either broken off or was never installed. This means that the jack flops about and the connections were loose. Also, the tape which is supposed to hold the ribbons down is ineffectual. What a cheaply made piece of equipment. It's not like I throw the amp up against the walls.

You still gonna get a replacement?
I probably will get a line 6 pod 2.0, seems like it can do everything I need, and more.
Quote by Perry125

The input jack is literally just stuck through the hole in the chassis and a nut is screwed on. Are you saying the nut is gone? There is no support for it besides the chassis.
... And get thrown out when every other person in the building calls the police.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
EMGs (and other active pickups) are used in metal because they push the amp harder than a passive pickup. This is generally used to push a tube amp into greater levels of distortion. Your EMGs may be pushing your vyper too hard, and could be why you are getting a nasty distorted sound. Pushing a tube amp hard sounds good, pushing a solid state hard sounds bad, and pushing a modeling amp sounds like the screams of a decapitated child.

Your best bet would be to get a new amp. 6505+ is a very popular choice for your style.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Turn down the guitar volume? I get away with far less gain on the PRS vs. the Pacifica since the pickups are hotter.