Page 4 of 4
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
772 IQ
I have no problems with automatics, but once you get it down, driving a stick really isn't difficult at all. Driving stick usually makes you feel more connected to the road, if that makes any sense.
Pagan-Pie
UG's Ziltoidian Overlord
258 IQ
People who can't drive a manual or 'stick shift' don't know how to drive.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,116 IQ
Okay, driving in England, you actually need a license that says you can drive a manual before you can drive a manual... Get a license to drive an automatic... Is something, I guess, it proves you're not a danger on the roads, but it doesn't mean you can drive.

My father taught me how to drive.

How to lift off the clutch, find the biting point and roll off before hitting the gas.
Also, hill starts are cool. - In automatic, you roll back, you always know if you're on a hill and you're behind an automatic and you're waiting to go, because the car in front of you will always roll back.

Driving in America, young son of a Gun Brit me driving a new Honda with manual was cool, that was my first manual in America I drove, that was Hella Pimp for me back then, older people were shocked young me got that thing going and... I did love it's engine.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 12, 2012,
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,116 IQ
Driving a manual where I live is stop/start/stop/start (Neutral, clutch, 1st, gas, lift off clutch then like half a second later, off the gas quickly, clutch, 2nd, lift off the clutch, back on the gas, clutch, brake, back down to neutral, stop, repeat). -- You rarely make it out of 3rd or even 2nd sometimes and you're never in 1st for more than a second. - It's just nature to me to cut the engine with the clutch as I brake.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 12, 2012,
The Buttmonkey
357 IQ
I've spend the most time driving a 5.0 Mustang with a torquey V8 and a lower final gear ratio (3:43? maybe). It was a 5 speed. It was almost impossible to stall, lol and it was pretty quick. just mash on the gas and go.

Also I ride motorcycles flawlessly. both mine are 5 speed so I have my head firmly wrapped around the idea of a clutch I haven't stalled in many months.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,383 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
Yeah, I wouldn't trust any 16 year old driving over here.
We don't trust them here either

First time I drove a manual was during a test drive at the dealership when I bought my old truck. I was too scared to go higher than 3rd gear, but I didn't stall it once. I bought the truck and then drove it home in rush hour. Now THAT'S how you learn to drive a stick...

Quote by genghisgandhi
I ****ing hate driving stick. I hate driving in general I guess. Hopefully I move to England so I can take advantage of your great public transportation and never drive again.
It's been a month since you started this thread and you still hate driving a stick? And/or driving period? I think you're doing it wrong.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,383 IQ
Quote by genghisgandhi
Why? I can do it, I just don't enjoy it.

Everyone I've known that drove a stick for a while ended up loving it, and they usually bought another manual when they got their next car. I've known some people that had a hard time getting used to it, but not anyone that flat out hated it.

Although I will say this - my biggest pet peeve was not being able to drink coffee or talk on the phone during my drive to / from work (I took back roads so I was constantly shifting). It was also REALLY annoying after I had shoulder surgery on my left shoulder. My left arm was in a sling for a couple months and I could only use my right arm. That made driving a stick interesting...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis
4,324 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
Everyone I've known that drove a stick for a while ended up loving it, and they usually bought another manual when they got their next car. I've known some people that had a hard time getting used to it, but not anyone that flat out hated it.

Although I will say this - my biggest pet peeve was not being able to drink coffee or talk on the phone during my drive to / from work (I took back roads so I was constantly shifting). It was also REALLY annoying after I had shoulder surgery on my left shoulder. My left arm was in a sling for a couple months and I could only use my right arm. That made driving a stick interesting...

Well, I guess I'm different than everyone you know.
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,383 IQ
Seriously dude, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm honestly curious. Why do you hate driving? And why do you hate driving stick?

Wait, nevermind... I just noticed your location. I hate driving in New York / Jersey too. I grew up around Boston so I'm no stranger to bad drivers. But NY / NJ traffic is a whole different kind of crazy. The times I've been through there it was a white-knuckle drive to say the least. Good luck man...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
750 IQ
Go for a drive in the twisties with minimal traffic and you'll love it. I too, hate driving manual in traffic, drives me insane.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.
1,105 IQ
Quote by K'Nuckles
in da 05 v6 clio twin turbo datz how we roll wit da back seat hoez

AND THAT'S A FUKIN COLOUR RUN!
rpd
65 IQ
Quote by genghisgandhi
Hopefully I move to England so I can take advantage of your great public transportation and never drive again.

You are taking the p1ss?
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
joshua029
Yeshua's soldier...
412 IQ
Yes. It's very easy to do. Just fill up the tank and drive around, making sure to stop on hills to get used to taking off on uneven ground. By the time you've gone through the tank you'll have it...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
772 IQ
Man, so much hate in this thread: i.e. "I can't understand these retards who can't drive stick! The first car I ever drove was stick, and after 15 minutes, I was driving on an interstate highway at 90mph in rush hour traffic!"

I drive stick, I learned on stick, and even if it was an automatic, I wouldn't driving on the open road the first day I hopped into a vehicle.

edit: nevermind, the posts I was talking about are really old.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Dec 13, 2012,
Greenie_777
UG Newbie
547 IQ
I remember when I tried driving automatic my left hand and foot were completely lost with what to do. Plus when you want to over take or get a bit more power up hill you can't shift down a gear for a bit more power.

Boring as ****.
Hebriqui
Paid for being an idiot
185 IQ
Quote by Snake_42
Could you learn how to make the car move? Sure, no problem.

Could you learn to drive at a standard that's safe on the road? Not a chance.

You speak gold. It takes about twenty to thirty driving lessons to get well enough at driving stick to be safe on the road.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis
4,324 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
Seriously dude, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm honestly curious. Why do you hate driving? And why do you hate driving stick?

Wait, nevermind... I just noticed your location. I hate driving in New York / Jersey too. I grew up around Boston so I'm no stranger to bad drivers. But NY / NJ traffic is a whole different kind of crazy. The times I've been through there it was a white-knuckle drive to say the least. Good luck man...

Yeah I'd probably be better off in Ohio.
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
I'm currently learning to drive manual and it's not too bad once you get the hang of it, holding down the clutch if you break excessively etc but as soon as I pass my test I'm looking for an automatic car.

Edit; Also if your car is lurching as you change gears you need to release the clutch slower. And I'm not sure if it's different with ever vehicle but it'll be a smoother transition if you start gently pressing the accelerator just before you finish lifting your foot off the clutch.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Dec 13, 2012,
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,116 IQ
It's all about clutch control.
Quote by laid-to-waste