Page 2 of 2
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,498 IQ
Quote by nickdohle
I have only heard good things about this box. Why didnt you like it?

way overpriced, didn't sound that good at high gain, bought it mainly because of the PGS hype and genuinely thought that it was the be-all and end-all of overdrives. plus i was sold by the paint job.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Mostly some of the real high end gear I have bought...

My ENGL Steve Morse which has made every amp since obsolete and means until I get another ENGL SM I will always hate my tone.

A few guitars, my old J Custom and Ernie Ball jp6 which did a similar thing to a lot of guitars that followed them.

Lastly? Biggest regret was my Gold Top. I loved that guitar but when I lost my job t sort of came to symbolise the whole farce and I hated to play it after that.

Regrets because the gear sucked? Defo my stupidly expensive Rebel Yell pickups. Useless hateful things.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
harrisonatsix
607 IQ
Quote by kindadumb
Hm?

Solid state amps hate pedals, particularly ones such as overdrives and distortions as they are designed to push the tubes of which solid state amps have none
kindadumb
1,198 IQ
That's the first time I've ever heard that - I've heard that many tube amps can be finicky with pedals, but decent solid state amps (as long as they aren't crappy 5 watt starter amps) are generally good pedal platforms. I mentioned owning a Peavey Special 112 earlier in this thread, and that 160-watt monster loved having the guitar feeding into an overdrive, which in turn fed into a Big Muff, which then fed into the amp. Loved that combo.

Another regret - breaking the neck of my first Epi LP.
J_W
65 IQ
I only regret selling one thing, my Tremoverb. It hurts me to this day.
J_W
65 IQ
Quote by harrisonatsix
Solid state amps hate pedals, particularly ones such as overdrives and distortions as they are designed to push the tubes of which solid state amps have none

Pedals worked just fine on every SS amp I have owned.
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)
4,852 IQ
I regret selling around 90% of everything I've ever had
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by harrisonatsix

i don't know how to say this any other way, but that is BS. it is attractive BS that shrouds itself in popular opinion, but BS nonetheless.

Quote by kindadumb
That's the first time I've ever heard that

then immediately forget it.

on topic. when i first started i sunk all my cash in a marshall VS, great learning experience cuz i never did such a dumb thing again. only other real regret since then has been getting a redwitch Fuzz God II, great sounding pedal but the damn thing keeps failing on me.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 15, 2012,
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,498 IQ
Quote by harrisonatsix

incorrect. the tubescreamer was originally designed to simulate a cranked tube amp on a solid-state amp. it was a happy coincidence that it just so happened to literally push the tubes of a tube amp into saturation.
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,131 IQ
Bought too many pedals I barely ever used. MXR 10 band, 535Q crybaby, MXR micro amp, BOSS RC-2, MXR phase 90 script...

Kind of regret getting my Fender Twin too, don't like it much

edit:
Quote by SimplyBen
I regret selling around 90% of everything I've ever had

Including that telecaster on my lap?
Last edited by Darkflame at Nov 15, 2012,
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
I double dipped in regret and replaced my Marshall MG10 with a Line 6 Spyder III 30w which iv been stuck with since. Finally getting a chance to replace it in the coming months.

One thing I don't regret is buying my Epiphone SG Special II when they were sold out of the lp version. If I had gotten the one I intended I might have been turned off of buying my Epi LP Standard a year later, and that guitar kept me playing for 7 years.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I don't really regret much, I also see all of my as having a purpose. I regret getting an Epiphone SG special, rotten guitar. I kind of regret selling my Krank Chadwick, more so because the guy that bought it blew it up that amp was pretty sweet.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Necropeth91
256 IQ
I don't have any regretful purchases necessarily, but selling my Laney VH100R with the matching cab for a measly $1000 is my biggest regret.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I've heard nothing but good about the speed twins. What didn't you like?
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Not a godamn thing. It's called research, guys.

quoted for 100% truth.

anything i have bought i have waited for a killer price (currently stalking 8 or so things at the right price), and if it didn't work for me just sell it. i have NEVER sold at a loss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
I've heard nothing but good about the speed twins. What didn't you like?

wow somebody else has one... lol. i never hear them mentioned. they are decent, but nothing special. the dirty channel can sound pretty decent with a timmy and a little lower on the treble and with the mid knob pulled out on the amp which gives it an upper mid shift. they aren't really that great but they get the job done. traded a line 6 douverb straight up. the duoverb sucked. they really need
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Dan_5893
Interdit
1,405 IQ
I don't regret anything really. I guess I regret buying a Bugera 333, even though it sounded fantastic, it spent more time being repaired than it did being in my possession. Then when I got the store credit for returning it, I picked up a Blackstar HT-40 since it was the best amp I could afford at the time from that store. It was OK but I wish I'd waited a bit and picked up something better.

I regret selling my HT-1 though. Fun little amp.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
I regret trying to sell my friends Spider III 75W to another friend of mine. Not because I hate the Spider, but because the Vypyr 75W + Sanpera II he ended up getting are so much better.
Perverockstar69
3,494 IQ
Line 6 Spider 1st version, it died after 3 months and I got it new... u.u

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict
455 IQ
Buying a Blackstar HT-Dist X. It was used, cheap and I could probably get my money back on it, but it's not as versatile as it seemed and doesn't have a particularly tight or modern sound. Fine for Sabbath riffs, but it's been sitting there gathering dust since I bought my Eleven rack a month or so later.
JAHellraiser
2,405 IQ
I regret not really looking at this HSS strat when looking at my strat. It was a dark red, rosewood fretboard HSS strat and I swear it had a nice neck, but I was so caught up on getting a 3 tone sunburst strat that was SSS (I considered them to be much better looking than HSS strats) and basically didn't bother with it.

I also regret getting my Egnater new. It's a great amp, but I would've liked to have saved a few hundred bucks.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by NakedInTheRain
incorrect. the tubescreamer was originally designed to simulate a cranked tube amp on a solid-state amp. it was a happy coincidence that it just so happened to literally push the tubes of a tube amp into saturation.

+1 In fact, the values varied enough on those tubescreamers that its possible for one to not reach unity gain. Those particular instances would not push the tubes much, if at all. It would still likely sound louder due to the mid hump.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
wow somebody else has one... lol. i never hear them mentioned. they are decent, but nothing special. the dirty channel can sound pretty decent with a timmy and a little lower on the treble and with the mid knob pulled out on the amp which gives it an upper mid shift. they aren't really that great but they get the job done. traded a line 6 douverb straight up. the duoverb sucked. they really need

Hows the clean though? I remember folks on here talking fondly of them for some reason....
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Personally I don't regret buying the MG I had several years ago. They aren't exactly the classic Marshall sound, but there are some good sounds in there for people who are prepared to dial them in properly. It was a good amp for what I needed & it served me well for a few years until I upgraded. Sold it to a mate & he's still happy with it today - still working as a reliable practice amp even though it's over 15 years old.

The purchase I've always regretted was my old Fender MIA Stratocaster. Spent a load of money on it thinking I'd be getting something awesome, whereas I actually found it to be extremely bland and no better than average at everything. It just gathered a load of dust while I stuck with my trusty Telecaster & Les Paul, eventually sold it & was glad to see the back of it.

I agree and can relate to absolutely everything posted here.
harrisonatsix
607 IQ
Quote by NakedInTheRain

Fair enough, I guess it's something to do with the modelling on the spider then as it sounded like a piece of shit that had been eaten and then shat out again but now on my ac30 it sounds glorious.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by harrisonatsix
Fair enough, I guess it's something to do with the modelling on the spider then as it sounded like a piece of shit that had been eaten and then shat out again but now on my ac30 it sounds glorious.

A spider is representative of all SS and modeling amps out there? Not at all. The 20 year old crate SS amp I got for 50 bucks says otherwise.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Kevin Saale
A spider is representative of all SS and modeling amps out there? Not at all. The 20 year old crate SS amp I got for 50 bucks says otherwise.

The g40c is a great amp. I loved the one I had in college.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I used a SS Yamaha g100-212 as my gigging amp for many years, it worked fine. You can't judge SS amps based on a Spider - spiders are shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
zilant
2,245 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
I regret trying to sell my friends Spider III 75W to another friend of mine. Not because I hate the Spider, but because the Vypyr 75W + Sanpera II he ended up getting are so much better.

As I was reading this it came out "I was trying to sell my friends spider III 75W to another friend of mine. Not because I hate the Spider, but because I hate the friend."
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
Hows the clean though? I remember folks on here talking fondly of them for some reason....

cleans are pretty nice. not as nice as the musicman i picked up or my '68 bassman, or any twin, but they get the job done. very OD friendly. reverb is great as well. foot switch has lots of options, but the guy i got it from never had it. i havnn't looked really that much but when i did they sure didn't seem to pop up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by zilant
As I was reading this it came out "I was trying to sell my friends spider III 75W to another friend of mine. Not because I hate the Spider, but because I hate the friend."

I read it the same way, and I was thinking "What a douche bag..."

After re-reading it, it makes sense.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
There is a similar thread over at Rig-Talk right now.

Guess what kinds of amps are on that list?

Bogners. VHTs. Mesa Marks. Splawns. Axe Fx'. Cameron. etc.

Guess what bunch of people are f***ing stupid, then? THOSE GUYS.

Plus, we love you more here anyway

SO YOU TELL THEM TO F*** RIGHT OFF!