Usernames sucks
Tab Contributor
12,735 IQ
Hi, im a baritone (i can sing from D-d1) singer, but all my favorite singers are tenors. What are some famous/good bass singers, that are not in the generes: Contry, classical, and blues? Thanks, i need some inspiration. (Im most intrested in rock/metal)
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Dec 4, 2012,
Jacques-Henri
55 IQ
Russell Allen (Symphony X) sings in a pretty low register... James Hetfield as well. Volbeat's singer also has a pretty deep voice... Mastodon, kinda... Savatage, but they kinda suck...
Fishybones
.....Pudding?
297 IQ
Peter Steele was a baritone (if I'm not wrong), and he used to go pretty low.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

Squier Vista Venus

Pro co Rat 2
Fulltone OCD
Boss DD7
Akai Headrush E2
EHX NYC Big Muff

Vox AC30cc1
Xeron Brigs
UG's Structural Realist
508 IQ
You might try Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto from Charon. He's got quite a good voice.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Sethis
171 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Hi, im a baritone (i can sing from D-d1)

Wait...you mean from D1 up to which note? You probably mean D2 anyway, there's absolutely no chance you can hit a D1.

You might want to try Nevermore. Warrel Dane has a really low voice. Bass like. Ville Valo of HIM can get pretty low as well but his voice has a lighter texture than Dane's.
Axl Rose and David Coverdale if you prefer singing high. Cornell of Soundgarden, David Grohl of Foo Fighters, Akerfeldt from Opeth...

Baritones can become jack of all trades with some training because they're right in the middle. There are more baritone singers than you think that it's pointless to keep offering examples.

Quote by Jacques-Henri
Russell Allen (Symphony X) sings in a pretty low register...

Not really...He's probably a low tenor or high baritone. The guy definitely nails the high notes.
BloodReverence
917 IQ
Quote by Sethis
Wait...you mean from D1 up to which note? You probably mean D2 anyway, there's absolutely no chance you can hit a D1.

You might want to try Nevermore. Warrel Dane has a really low voice. Bass like. Ville Valo of HIM can get pretty low as well but his voice has a lighter texture than Dane's.
Axl Rose and David Coverdale if you prefer singing high. Cornell of Soundgarden, David Grohl of Foo Fighters, Akerfeldt from Opeth...

Baritones can become jack of all trades with some training because they're right in the middle. There are more baritone singers than you think that it's pointless to keep offering examples.

Not really...He's probably a low tenor or high baritone. The guy definitely nails the high notes.

I feel like you're pulling singers out of your head with no real knowledge of what range they usually sing in....

Dane is a tenor, he often sings in a high baritone range though. Valle of HIM is a good person for a baritone to sing with, same with Akerfeldt, but really? Axl? Axl is quite obviously a tenor. For a baritone to try to sing like him is just rediculous.

Try singing along with bands like Trivium, Across the Sun, Finger Eleven, Three Days Grace, Twelve Foot Ninja, Godsmack, HIM, System of a Down, Stone Sour, Static X, Soil, Seether, Motograter, Five Finger Death Punch, Older Disturbed, Dark New Day, Staind, Basshunter, etc.

Those guys are more in the range you're looking for. All bass/baritone singers who stay within an average baritone range for most of their songs.
Sethis
171 IQ
Quote by BloodReverence
Dane is a tenor, he often sings in a high baritone range though.

Are we talking about the same person? Warrel Dane? Dude that guy has one of the deepest singing and speaking voices I've ever heard. Sounds like Gandalf or something. Check this interview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKt7dT2Pgqg

Quote by BloodReverence
Axl? Axl is quite obviously a tenor. For a baritone to try to sing like him is just rediculous.

Nope. Axl is actually one of the many, many baritones that went after their tenor idols and pushed their voice way beyond their tessitura (their most comfortable range). He is a proof that if you really want then it can be done. Being a baritone doesn't mean you can only sing low, it means that it is more comfortable to sing low.
BloodReverence
917 IQ
I'll stand corrected for Dane, but after hearing him in his older band (I can't remember it unfortunately) where he was pumping out Judas Priest style vocals, I doubted him being a baritone.

As for Axl, just because his speaking voice is lower doesn't mean that it'd be suitable for a baritone to sing his parts. He's constantly singing in a tenor range and it'd not be in this guys best interest to start off by trying to belt out Axl's parts.
helltothee
Idiot
55 IQ
Robb Flynn maybe? He attacks those low notes in Machine Head, but I guess he has range and does use it from time to time.

Quote by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
jrenkert
921 IQ
You need to check out Godforbid...he is in That Handsome devil...odd music...I really really enjoy...whatever you do dont listen to the live versions on youtube
tottsk1
729 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Is the singer a baritone or tenor (wait for clean vocals)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuiIfHoezo

I guess he is a tenor, but most of the parts is baritone range i believe. You can hear at 3:07 he is hitting notes way over the baritone range.
tottsk1
729 IQ
I don't think you sing an octave lower in the beginning, because it's pretty low notes. What is your vocal range?

The Human Abstract song seems to be in baritone range, Im not sure but he seems to only sing in one octave range the whole song.
tottsk1
729 IQ
Then your range is D2 to D4 if im not mistaken? Can also be D3 to D5 but thats pretty high, how does your voice sound, bassy or light?
tottsk1
729 IQ
Okay, i guess you are a bass singer then, they usually are around D2-D4 or E2-E4. But that don't really matter, if you learn the right technique you should probably be able to reach the tenor range with your head voice or at least baritone-tenor.
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
John Frusciante, John Mayer.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Usernames sucks
Tab Contributor
12,735 IQ
Quote by tottsk1
Okay, i guess you are a bass singer then, they usually are around D2-D4 or E2-E4. But that don't really matter, if you learn the right technique you should probably be able to reach the tenor range with your head voice or at least baritone-tenor.

Yeah, after i became a vocalist in a band, i feel like i have been born with a curse because of my range :/ How do i use head voice? I can do falsetto, but it has no power.
tottsk1
729 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Yeah, after i became a vocalist in a band, i feel like i have been born with a curse because of my range :/ How do i use head voice? I can do falsetto, but it has no power.

Try to imitate the sound of an ambulance siren, or do the "who!" sound really high and you should find your head voice. If the sound is very airy then it's probably falsetto but if it's squeaky or pure and clear it's probably your head voice.
jrenkert
921 IQ
You, sir, are not a baritone. You are a bass, the bad news is that little popular music is incredibly accessible for our range. The good news is that good technique and popular music are so far removed that as long as you can match pitch you will find someone to listen to you.

I have been struggling with the "I am a bass, poor me" issue for a long time now and with practice you will find that there is very little you cant achieve. My range in full voice is C2-E4 and there is little now that I cannot sing. Worst comes to worst you can always change the key or down tune your guitar a half step or two (you'll be amazed at what that can do).

My real break through came in 2 parts; figuring out that most of the people I listen to don't have technically brilliant voices and learning how to growl. These findings have revolutionized me.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Yes, you are a bass.

Axl seems to me to be a baritone, except he often uses falsetto when he goes up high, (though he has it down to an art) as do many other hair-metal singers.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
itsgoodtobefree
706 IQ
Some guys with deep (mainly baritone) voices in non-classical music:

Justin Vernon (from Bon Iver)
Matt Berninger (from The National)
Pete Yorn
John Mayer
Nick Drake
Chris Martin (from Coldplay)
Damon Albarn (from Blur)
Richard Ashcroft (from The Verve)

If you feel you are stuck with a bass/baritone range, then the mixed voice technique is for you. It combines the strength and loudness from the chest voice with the tonality and clarity of the head voice. This makes it easier to hit high notes. Look it up on youtube, plenty of videos.
20Tigers
640 IQ
Turn your speakers up and listen intently to the groove at the start of this song. Then when his voice comes in "Baby I've been waitin...." you don't just hear it, you FEEL it.

You can have all the high balled pretty boy singers in a bar hitting on some fine woman but when Leonard speaks, that's when she knows a real man is in the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-E53gmeO-8

I know its not quite the rock/metal scene you're looking for but it shows how freakin awesome a deep voice can be. Use what you got. don't try to sing as a tenor if you're a bass. Rock is not about sounding like everyone else. It's about being yourself, lettin it all hang out, and not giving a shit.
Si
Sethis
171 IQ
^Agreed. Being a baritone is not really a curse. Even in hair metal and generally music with very high singing most actual singing is done in the mix part of the voice. The really high notes are usually just one scream or something. So it's not like you should care a lot. Plus you can always learn to sing higher, it's close to impossible to sing lower.
alinvan
10 IQ
I really like listening to Paul Robeson and Jim Reeves.