I haven't tried one personally, but I havent heard much good about them around here.

From what I understand, its a tube hybrid. Tube pre amp, SS power section. I may be wrong tho.

If I were you, I'd look for something all tube. Post your budget, playing style, closest city, needed application (gig or practice), and someone here should be able to recommend you something sweet!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
74' Vibro Champ
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley
Quote by sheldonpardy
If I were you, I'd look for something all tube. Post your budget, playing style, closest city, needed application (gig or practice), and someone here should be able to recommend you something sweet!

+1

my own opinion is they are ok - nothing special but they can do the job. but without this information, we don't really know what it is you're looking for so can't give any informed recommendations.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Quote by Blompcube
+1

my own opinion is they are ok - nothing special but they can do the job. but without this information, we don't really know what it is you're looking for so can't give any informed recommendations.

im just looking for a classic marshall tone and i found this for a really amazing affordable deal on it
Well that is most certainly not classic Marshall sound. There is a what amp sticky at the top of the GGnA page. Fill that out and we can get you something nice
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by 1998metalhead1
im just looking for a classic marshall tone and i found this for a really amazing affordable deal on it

clqassic Death tone is about it on that one. not the worst amp by a long shot but won't give you much of that classic tone. it has one 12ax7 in the overdrive channel and honestly it really doesn't do much.
Saying it has a tube preamp is playing loose and fast with the truth. It has a single tube in the lead channel. It's more of a gimik than anything.
If you want that nasty early Death tone then it's the amp for you, if you want to do anything else then it is a steaming pile of smeg. They are closer to an MG than a JCM, any JCM - or any other real tube Marshall for that matter (with the possible exception of the MA which is possibly the worst tube amp ever made by anybody anywhere).
If you are looking for that Marshall tone look elsewhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Valvestate divides opinions, a lot. If old school Thrash and Thrash/Death metal sound you are looking for (particularly Death itself as Chuck used Valvestates), it is a great choice and one that has been used a lot in past.

For classic Marshall sound? No idea, but it can mimic JCM quite well with careful EQing and adding a boost pedal on top of it. (either that, or you can make JCM mimic Valvestate... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_705524&feature=iv&src_vid=C0q68bItfDY&v=opvg23lHQr0

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 17, 2012,
Quote by MaaZeus
Valvestate divides opinions, a lot. If old school Thrash and Thrash/Death metal sound you are looking for (particularly Death itself as Chuck used Valvestates), it is a great choice and one that has been used a lot in past.

For classic Marshall sound? No idea, but it can mimic JCM quite well with careful EQing and adding a boost pedal on top of it. (either that, or you can make JCM mimic Valvestate... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_705524&feature=iv&src_vid=C0q68bItfDY&v=opvg23lHQr0

That was quite close,but on the first one riff, you can really hear the SS clipping.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That video just shows that even a DSL100 can be made sound like shit. Your last statement was the correct take on it. If you try you can make a DSL sound almost as bad as a VS. You can make any amp sound shit if you try hard enough.
I had a VS8100 in the band room for quite some time and not even a brilliant Soldano 2x12 could make it sound decent. That cab sounded great under every other amp I plugged into it - but not even that could rescue the VS8100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you want Classic Marshall on a tight budget, look at the Peavey Windsor.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
Saying it has a tube preamp is playing loose and fast with the truth. It has a single tube in the lead channel. It's more of a gimik than anything.
If you want that nasty early Death tone then it's the amp for you, if you want to do anything else then it is a steaming pile of smeg. They are closer to an MG than a JCM, any JCM - or any other real tube Marshall for that matter (with the possible exception of the MA which is possibly the worst tube amp ever made by anybody anywhere).
If you are looking for that Marshall tone look elsewhere.

c'mon Cathbard don't hold back tell us how you really feel.

i'll 2nd the Peavey Windsor as an affordable option. note that it is a single channel head.
Quote by Cathbard
That video just shows that even a DSL100 can be made sound like shit. Your last statement was the correct take on it. If you try you can make a DSL sound almost as bad as a VS. You can make any amp sound shit if you try hard enough.
I had a VS8100 in the band room for quite some time and not even a brilliant Soldano 2x12 could make it sound decent. That cab sounded great under every other amp I plugged into it - but not even that could rescue the VS8100.

Now here we get into subjective opinions because as a fan of old extreme metal I personally love exactly this kind of dirty "shitty" sound. Valvestates are definetly on my "to-buy" list because of this reason.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
yeah, my VS15 didn't sound like that...

def didn't do classic marshall sounds very well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by MaaZeus
Now here we get into subjective opinions because as a fan of old extreme metal I personally love exactly this kind of dirty "shitty" sound. Valvestates are definetly on my "to-buy" list because of this reason.

That's what I said in my first post - unless you want that particular type of sound look elsewhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification