Hello UG!

I am thinking about getting a 7-string next week. I've checked the used market here and I only found a low RG sold for a stupid price. So I checked online and found those two (one is b-stock)

Jackson
Schecter

I haven't owned a guitar with actives before. Currently I play through a AMT SS-20 preamp to a Marshall EL84 20/20 with effects in between. Main axe is a ESP Horizon Fr-II.

1)Should I prefer one over the other? Why?
2)I know Schecter necks are a bit on the thick side, how are Jackson's?
3) The Jackson has a longer scale (678mm vs 648mm) is that a discernible difference?

edit: If you have suggestions, budget is around 1000euro.
Last edited by Deledhel at Nov 18, 2012,
Go for the Schecter. That Jackson is an Indian one, and they don't exactly have the best quality contol evrr over there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
consider this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_aw_7_brsb.htm

-good combination of woods
-neck through
-dimarzio D-activator pickups
-hipshot bridge
-locking tuners
-simple and comfortable control layout
-looks good

the only downside is that its a signature model.
Last edited by philipk at Nov 18, 2012,
@oneblackened: Thanks! Didn't really dig deep enough to find what you told me
@philipk: I've already noticed that Ltd but was under the impression it was a bit more expensive.

Hmmm one out, one more to consider now..
Any opinions about D-activators and EMGs? I was gonna do the 18v mod on the emgs.
Quote by Deledhel
@oneblackened: Thanks! Didn't really dig deep enough to find what you told me
@philipk: I've already noticed that Ltd but was under the impression it was a bit more expensive.

Hmmm one out, one more to consider now..
Any opinions about D-activators and EMGs? I was gonna do the 18v mod on the emgs.

D-Activators are ****ing sweet. They're like if active pickups and passive pickups had a baby, or some shit like that. They're really awesome. The AW signature is great, too.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Go for the AW-7. Beats the schecter by a mile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.