trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
i am considering getting one but have general questions.

i realize that this is GG&AA but there is no synth or keyboard/piano threads or subforums.

i am looking at the microkorg XL

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-microkorg-xl-37-mini-key-mmt-synth

but don't know what would be the best.

if you don't mind and you play the keys or a synth do you know of any exceptionally good communities/forums. i am capable of searching, but if somebody likes one let me know.

and UG guys, i think its time for a synth forum. the drum forum didn't go fast, but its going. although i do admit i haven't contributed lately.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,498 IQ
i'm still playing around with my microkorg. it's very fun. i can only imagine that the xl has everything and more. keys are a little small. but there are always midi keyboards i guess.

and i don't know about a synth forum by itself. but i reckon we should incorporate it into GG&A somehow.
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
^pretty much. seems to have access to more parameters, but not all at once. your microkorg could also be an option for him.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

i realize that this is GG&AA but there is no synth or keyboard/piano threads or subforums.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-microkorg-xl-37-mini-key-mmt-synth

if you don't mind and you play the keys or a synth do you know of any exceptionally good communities/forums. i am capable of searching, but if somebody likes one let me know.

and UG guys, i think its time for a synth forum. the drum forum didn't go fast, but its going. although i do admit i haven't contributed lately.

depends on your purposes, this one has some keyboards and other stuff built in.

a pure synth would deal with generating tones from waveforms (generated from oscillators) and then process those waveforms with... 'effects'.

the first synths were monophonic, they only played one note at a time. much focus was creating different sounds, they used filters, gates, modulators, etc to create these new sounds. these synths are heavily characterized by solo tones and 'bass synth' tones.

later synths started incorporating polyphony, so you could play multiple notes at once. such synth sounds are sometimes referred to as 'synth pads'. these sounds became very popular in 80's pop music.

i actually use a midi controller keyboard and just play all the TONS of synth/keyboards built into my DAWs. there is more than enough for me there.

if you want a more synth experience then i'd recommend something with more parameters to tweak (like a moog little phatty, it's all analog too), if you want something that will get synth tones without having all the overhead of VC's, patchcords and esoteric knobs then this is the kinda synth to look into.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 20, 2012,
wowlace
18 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Hey man, I know synths. I have more synths than guitars.

Ok so I have 2 synths and 1 guitar, but seriously I've spent the last ten years messing around with synths.

As for websites gearslutz is good. I am into vintage synths, I like cheesy 80s sounds found in new wave, italo disco and boogie. I have a Roland Juno 106 and a Yamaha DX7. If you want to buy new I would look at the Dave Smith line. Good analogs with lots of knobs for programming and relatively well priced compared to say Moog stuff.

The micro Korg is pretty much a preset machine.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I've got a DX7S, A Roland D5 and an Alesis Quadrasynth module.

Those micrKorgs have a pretty good rep but I've never played one. I don't think I could abide by one though. My keyboards have 76 keys and I'm forever running out of room, I can't imagine what a shit a 37 key keyboard would be like to play. OK if you are just playing a few lead lines with one hand I suppose but you wouldn't want to be trying to play one like a piano, you'd end up chucking it out the window.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 20, 2012,
wowlace
18 IQ
Plus they are little finnicky keys too, hard to play.
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
461 IQ
I use a microkorg, and it's got enough keys for me, but that's because I double on guitar and synth so I don't need much, If it's going to be a central part of what you're doing, I think you'd need a bit more than 37 keys.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
We really do need a keyboard etc forum. I was recommending UG to a friend of mine who plays keyboard, and he was looking for the keyboard forum. I didn't even realize that we didn't have one. Kind of awkward.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1466778 Keyboard thread, it's in the Pit so no one can ever find it, especially the people who come to UG because they are interested in playing music.

This is Ultimate Guitar so honestly I don't think there is enough interest for a keyboard forum but maybe we could have one official keyboard thread here in GG&A. Sooner or later almost all musicians want to try keyboards and there seem to be more musicians here than in the Pit.

I don't like the micro Korg purely because I don't like the micro keys, but they sound good and they're an answer to the 200lb '70's boards.

Quote by gumbilicious
i actually use a midi controller keyboard and just play all the TONS of synth/keyboards built into my DAWs. there is more than enough for me there.
I went software synths a while ago and while I prefer 88 key weighted controllers it is really easy to grab my laptop and my 49 key controller and head to my friends house. Midi key controllers (i.e. no internal sounds) are typically unweighted with full width keys but the keys are shorter and many have knobs and sliders. If you're a piano player like me they still feel weird but very playable. Sometimes you need the unweighted keys to better play stabs and percussive styles.

There are lots of free softsynths out there you might want to try. Yes free. You need a computer, just about any cheap keyboard with a midi out and a cable to attach the keyboard to your computer. I use an outboard D/A converter but you don't have. Windows 7 is pretty good at recognizing controllers but one downfall of softsynths is they are difficult to manipulate on screen vs the knobs on hard synths and manually assigning midi controllers is a nightmare.

I like native Instruments Massive software a lot. It's $200 though. http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/massive/?content=602

Before you buy something listen to lots of stuff.

Cool video of a great synth player to give you an idea what is possible. I think he has a micro Korg there on top to his left for the fat bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-xTqgOH-s
Last edited by BobDetroit at Nov 20, 2012,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
wow. lots of good information. i think i am going to go with the microkorg XL. i did realize that it was digital and not true to alalog synths. i would love anything from moog, but thats out of budget.

as a sidenote i have a 88 key digital paino that is midi capable with weighted keys. i play a lot of piano i just really want to do something different with it and i think a synth would be what i want.

also i was watching demos and if you needed more than the short keyboard, there is a little switch on the left hand side for going up and down an octave. if you were used to one you can go down an octave for a lower part. i have seen people doing it mid solo bouncing to different octaves. may take time to get used to but maybe it will work.

i am sure i will buy an older analog synth at some point in time either when i get bored of something or see a good deal on CL.

my father has a really old synth probably pre 1980. its really small like the microkorg, and sounds good, but the keys are much smaller than a piano so its harder to play much on.

i am sure he will borrow it to me as he just has it up in his office. i am pretty sure he would give it to me if he knew i was using it regularly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
If you already have a keyboard with a MIDI out what you should be looking at are modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
If you already have a keyboard with midi out what you should be looking at is some of the excellent free software synths.

(I'll post a link when I'm not on my phone)
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Depends on whether you want it for gigging or studio really. If you want to drag it around to gigs get a module; in the studio go software.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Have you ever tried to play a pipe organ? The delay between hitting the key and the sound coming out is immense. I don't know how they do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Have you ever tried to play a pipe organ? The delay between hitting the key and the sound coming out is immense. I don't know how they do it.

You gotta be a drummer and/or bassist to understand ... timing, etc. Notice how keyboard players are almost always the bassist?
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
It's beyond me. I just couldn't make my brain do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by Ippon
You gotta be a drummer and/or bassist to understand ... timing, etc. Notice how keyboard players are almost always the bassist?

I resent that

I think I might actually be more attuned to the bass than to guitar.

Racial stereotypes

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I primarily play metal (death & progressive), and I think for most metal bass is easier and guitar is harder, but typically those roles are reversed for other genres, especially where guitar is less prominent and bass is more prominent.

Not counting the progressive part. **** that shit on bass.

Totally just my opinion though, not trying to start anything.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
all you need to know about synth: patch cords and knobs. i am not even sure you really need an actual keyboard.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 21, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
^the real reason they started releasing different colors of patch cords.

these guys have us beat though

i think that is a 4 bit adder

-ae
slickerthnsleek
Gary Motherf**king Oak
1,393 IQ
The XL is pretty cool, however if you like the Korg synths, I suggest you spend a little extra and get the R3... the bigger keys are a lot more comfortable and it sounds great for the price.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
i picked up a MicroKorg XL in red and black and a pair of KRK Rocket 5" G2. $400 for the synth and $150 for the monitors. everything is brand new and i just happened to get a really good deal on the monitors. the microkorg is fun to play. 30 days until i can open it .

i have the monitors now, my wife won't let me play the synth before christmas
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Like I said, I haven't played one, but I don't think Korg have made a bad product in their history. I'm sure that you'll have a blast with it. The vocoder stuff should be fun.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Like I said, I haven't played one, but I don't think Korg have made a bad product in their history. I'm sure that you'll have a blast with it. The vocoder stuff should be fun.

yea the vocoder is fun. i played it for around 20 minutes. i just ran some of the presets and they were quite impressive, the modulation wheel is really cool and has a huge sweep of anything you would ever need. the keys are small, but i will get used to it.

one thing nice about it is the octave shift. if you are playing a lead and are playing a full octave you can use the other hand to bump you up or down an octave, so you never have to use more keys than an octave, and it is really accessible and playing it the first time i was able to which was nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama
1,736 IQ
I have a Korg R3 that works pretty well for me. I picked up a copy of propellerhead Reason a couple months back, and it's totally worth the money if you ever want to get into software synths. The synth modules in Reason are incredible. There's probably 500 presets, and you can tweak every setting and make your own sounds as well. The THOR synth blows the R3 away, and you can re-wire the audio straight into your DAW for recording. I use the R3 as a midi controller now, but at some point I want to get something with more keys. It doesn't take long before you start wanting more range than the short boards can offer.

I'm sure you'll like the mini, but if you ever decide to upgrade take a look at Reason. (it does a LOT more than synths too)
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Elderer
UG Member
1,208 IQ
Quote by Cathbard

Well VSC3 are completely another thing...