ch1ng_chung
2,038 IQ
how would it stack up to, say, a marshall MG100HDFX, given that both are plugged into the same 4x12 cab?
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
you could plug a cat into a 412 and it would sound better then the mg100hdfx.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
go with a tabby cat for high end sparkle. Tomcats have a real good low end chug.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
TS, you're comparing apples to rotting shitty sounding oranges. Yes, a gretta will sound better, but the difference is the gretta will not have a ton of clean headroom but that's just the nature of small tube amps. The marshit will be louder but that's because they're worlds apart in type, tone, and loudness.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I've played the Greta. Great to get that ratty distorted sound, real lofi but in a charming kind of way. The MG is pretty lousy, but the Greta is very specific in what it can do, which is that old school, scratchy tube distortion. Ultimately you've got an amp that is bad at all things and an amp that is bad for almost all things.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
I played one side by side with a '69 Super Reverb... Obviously I didn't spend much time with it but it was definitely a cool, grungey, lo-fi sound. When I saw the $99 deal I considered it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan
991 IQ
The Greta will do well for '60s classic rock (think Stones, Beatles, Hendrix etc) and garage rock and blues, maybe lofi country, but it's not going to do anything like Van Halen or Guns n' Roses, let alone heavy metal.

It's an amp that's supposed to sound like the 'weird' tube amps of the '50s and '60s like the Gibson amps, Supro, Sears, Silvertone, whathave you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
100 for that amp sounds alright, at 200 it's unreasonable. I'm guessing this is because of the Yankee Blake Friday sale?

Maybe some mods can be done to this thing too.
Last edited by Arab_Philosofer at Nov 21, 2012,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
TS, this is at least the second thread you've made asking about a specific amp compared to your MG.

I'm going to give you the same advice I did in the other thread.

Fill out the information found here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

and we can help you more. Stick to just one thread, though, so that we can keep things consistent, linear, and organized.

If you keep making these threads asking about X amp compared to your MG, you're just going to get the Mods after you. Seriously, give us the info in the link I posted, and we can help you. Until then, you're not going to get much real help.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Honestly, as much as it pains me to say this, I'd rather have the MG. At least you've got the wattage to jam with friends. With the Greta a kazoo would be likely to drown you out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by tubetime86
Honestly, as much as it pains me to say this, I'd rather have the MG. At least you've got the wattage to jam with friends. With the Greta a kazoo would be likely to drown you out.

Well like I said, he's trying to compare two totally different types of amps, one more for home/recording, and one for medium sized shows.
souperman0
32 IQ
if youre at home bluesing it up, its great. i love my greta, but if i wanna jam with anything more than a harp i need to plug in my pro jr