Page 2 of 2
Hou-Tex
Gary
50 IQ
Kustom Dual 30RC if you can find one. The lead channel sucks but the clean channel is pretty good! I found one in a pawn shop for $50 and am happy with it hooked up to an external 1x12 cab. Coming from a DRRI, I found it a little lacking without the external cab, but if you look hard enough, you can nickle and dime yourself up a pretty good tone. It takes a little work shopping around though.

I have ~$200 in this rig.

A bunch of stuff.
woad_yurt
90 IQ
so what are my options if im willing to go used?

Here's a can't-go-wrong for you. 25 watts from 2 6L6GCs, clean and drive channels, master volume, 12" Eminence speaker, reverb, effects loop, headphone jack, etc, etc, etc. It does have a solid state preamp but it still sounds great; think early Music Man amps. If you tweak the gain channel a little, you can get a good sound at low volume. If you crank it up a bit, you get that nice tube feel and it's definitely gig-able. I have one and love it. It also kicks the butt of any $200 amp I've seen recommended here so far. If they'd have made it look like every other Fender, they probably would've sold a ton of them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-CHAMP-25-SE-0827-108021726-i2704611.gc
Last edited by woad_yurt at Nov 24, 2012,
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28
Like I said, there's a problem in the forum and guitar community with people's sheep thinking about amps/accessories. The Vypyr may be better than the Spider. The problem lies in that ignorant people talk it up to unbelievable heights and give it unrealistic hype. So guys such as TS call their Spiders shit and buy this 'god' amp expecting it to blow their pubes off from awesomeness. Once they realize that the sound only marginally improved, there's the oh so familiar disappointment that sets in. By now, the pride sets in and they live with their decision, knowing that the amp couldn't fill the task they expected it to.

The other time I've seen something similar is with EMGs vs Blackouts. EMGs are given shit and Blackouts are made to be the 'god' actives. It isn't until they're installed that one realizes that the difference isn't that great. Noticeable, but worth the potential extra $200 from swapping out the EMGs? That's up to the buyer

Like I said, TS would be better off learning how to get his settings right before talk of another amp is given.

I know man, I get it, you think the Vypyr doesn't sound that much better than a Spider. I could sit here and tell you that I think your wrong, and we can go back and forth for a while arguing about who's opinion of a particular tone is superior, but what would be pretty pointless since neither of us would be right.
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Like I said, I want a double blind test.

It's easy to call the Spider shit and the Vypyr amazing. If people actually prefer the Vypyr as heavily as all this feedback suggests after such an experiment, then I could easily accept that. I, however, suspect that it's a case of massive Groupthink, fueled by the blatant ignorance of the users.

I'm just saying, they sell like they do for a reason. Not every sale of a line 6 spider is sparked by the predatory instinct of the commission seeking salesman. If such exploitation resulted in such high sales figures, then these people are geniuses. But people would rather ponder over such conspiracies, instead of acknowledging that, sometimes, these amps sell because people like them...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
160 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
I know man, I get it, you think the Vypyr doesn't sound that much better than a Spider. I could sit here and tell you that I think your wrong, and we can go back and forth for a while arguing about who's opinion of a particular tone is superior, but what would be pretty pointless since neither of us would be right.

The Vypyr, Spider, Mustang etc. all sound crap compared to the Yamaha THR.

Really.

/Thread.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash
70 IQ
I'm not sure if you want to go for that used Peavey XXX on Guitar Center. If they're selling it for under $400, there must be something wrong with it (or it's just in terrible shape). Honestly, I think Ebay is more trustworthy than Guitar Center when it comes to used gear.

Vypyr Tube 60 is always a good idea.
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
Quote by RStrat
I'm not sure if you want to go for that used Peavey XXX on Guitar Center. If they're selling it for under $400, there must be something wrong with it (or it's just in terrible shape). Honestly, I think Ebay is more trustworthy than Guitar Center when it comes to used gear.

Vypyr Tube 60 is always a good idea.

Guitarcenter has a 30-day guarantee. I've done it before and it was super easy hassle-free. Brought it to a store, played on their gear for 10 minutes, then got a check.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
GuitarNewbee
280 IQ
Quote by megano28
I said both modellers are essentially the same, the difference between the two highly exaggerated mainly because of ignorance.

You said

Not even close to what I said. You're suggesting that I meant that if he couldn't like the Spider, then no amp will satisfy. At least your analogy interprets it that way.

Like I said, there's a problem in the forum and guitar community with people's sheep thinking about amps/accessories. The Vypyr may be better than the Spider. The problem lies in that ignorant people talk it up to unbelievable heights and give it unrealistic hype. So guys such as TS call their Spiders shit and buy this 'god' amp expecting it to blow their pubes off from awesomeness. Once they realize that the sound only marginally improved, there's the oh so familiar disappointment that sets in. By now, the pride sets in and they live with their decision, knowing that the amp couldn't fill the task they expected it to.

The other time I've seen something similar is with EMGs vs Blackouts. EMGs are given shit and Blackouts are made to be the 'god' actives. It isn't until they're installed that one realizes that the difference isn't that great. Noticeable, but worth the potential extra $200 from swapping out the EMGs? That's up to the buyer

Like I said, TS would be better off learning how to get his settings right before talk of another amp is given.

i did learn to use EQ it's just i've compared my line 6 to other amps and realized that there is a big differnce in the quality of the tone...i have been able to get close inof tones that i want it's just that i dont like how digital it sounds, its hard to explain to someone if they have never played one.
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes. Unfortunately, $200 isn't going to deliver this. To put this into perspective, my dual recto is going to cost you $900-1000 if you're lucky. Brand new, the price surges to ~1750. There's no problems with digital sounds here, but you have to be realistic.

If you persist though, go for that Vypyr tube that's being suggested. Or you could always try the Line 6 Flextone, one of my favourite modellers, but discontinued. The truth is that $200 is absolute bottom of the barrel, if you want a decent amp, you'd have to at least double that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

GuitarNewbee
280 IQ
Quote by megano28
I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes. Unfortunately, $200 isn't going to deliver this. To put this into perspective, my dual recto is going to cost you $900-1000 if you're lucky. Brand new, the price surges to ~1750. There's no problems with digital sounds here, but you have to be realistic.

If you persist though, go for that Vypyr tube that's being suggested. Or you could always try the Line 6 Flextone, one of my favourite modellers, but discontinued. The truth is that $200 is absolute bottom of the barrel, if you want a decent amp, you'd have to at least double that.

well im not sure if you saw one of my posts but i said that i am only 14 so i dont have a job and rely on money iv'e made over the past few years so theres no way i can get tube amps, and im not looking to gig with the amps, playing guitar is just a hobby for me i love music but i dont expect to become a famous rockstar so there really is no need for me to get a $1000 tube amp that im not actually gonna use to its full potential... i just want a better amp for my room and possible playing with some friends and that is why i decided to put 200 dollars as my budget and im not looking for another 15 watt im looking for atleast a 30 watt so that i dont have to keep the master volume so low to get a good tone out of it...so please stop telling me to get $1000 amps it really gets annoying.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28
I've played both Spiders and Vypyrs. That 'organic' tone you're after comes with tubes.

Are you saying that with regard to Spiders and Vypyrs, or all modelers?
AeonOptic
1,801 IQ
Quote by GuitarNewbee
well im not sure if you saw one of my posts but i said that i am only 14 so i dont have a job and rely on money iv'e made over the past few years so theres no way i can get tube amps, and im not looking to gig with the amps, playing guitar is just a hobby for me i love music but i dont expect to become a famous rockstar so there really is no need for me to get a $1000 tube amp that im not actually gonna use to its full potential... i just want a better amp for my room and possible playing with some friends and that is why i decided to put 200 dollars as my budget and im not looking for another 15 watt im looking for atleast a 30 watt so that i dont have to keep the master volume so low to get a good tone out of it...so please stop telling me to get $1000 amps it really gets annoying.

They aren't telling you that you have to get one that expensive. The simple fact is that most decent amps are above two hundred dollars.
I don't have anything other than that to contribute, I have no experience with amps.
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Quote by GuitarNewbee

Learn to comprehend. I never told you to buy a $1k amp. I'm telling you that what you expect is not realistic. If it was possible to get a great organic sounding amp that is solid state, that could play every band you mentioned AND have it for ~$200 then you just found the holy grail of amplifiers. I'm being sarcastic of course. Either lower your standards or increase your budget, you don't have enough to buy the amp you think you can acquire.

Once again,

LOWER YOUR STANDARDS OR GET MORE MONEY

You can't buy a Ferrari at the price of a Civic. And you can't expect to buy the Civic and race it like a Ferrari.
Quote by W4RP1G
Are you saying that with regard to Spiders and Vypyrs, or all modelers?

No clue what you mean by this
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28
No clue what you mean by this

Do you believe that the "warmth" you speak of isn't present in modelers such as the Axe FX II and Kemper?
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
My advice is "don't be in a hurry." Have some patience and watch the used market saving your pennies while you wait. Something decent will pop up eventually. Patience, that's the key. It took me years to find my Abbey and I just put up with what I had until I did. Patience really is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
Do you believe that the "warmth" you speak of isn't present in modelers such as the Axe FX II and Kemper?

We were talking about the Vypyr and Spider. If you're going to try and grab me on semantics, then go ahead. After all, with his $200 budget, a $2800 Axe FX is surely in the picture
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
Quote by megano28
We were talking about the Vypyr and Spider. If you're going to try and grab me on semantics, then go ahead. After all, with his $200 budget, a $2800 Axe FX is surely in the picture

I get your point and all but you are really beating a dead horse. There will always be hype and expectations and people talking out their ass.

Vypyr is better but still a cheap modeling amp. It's a lateral upgrade. Not a straight lateral movement.

The 60 adds a tube power amp section. No shit clipping. A used one you be a great upgrade for the TS.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 24, 2012,
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28

Uh, not just wondering what your opinion on higher end modelers was.
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Quote by R45VT
I get your point and all but you are really beating a dead horse. There will always be hype and expectations and people talking out their ass.

Vypyr is better but still a cheap modeling amp. It's a lateral upgrade. Not a straight lateral movement.

The 60 adds a tube power amp section. No shit clipping. A used one you be a great upgrade for the TS.

I'm not even on that anymore, you're arguing over something that's gone

Quote by W4RP1G
Uh, not just wondering what your opinion on higher end modelers was.

It sounded more like you heard me make a generalization and were about to try and attack my entire point based on that mistake.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
Quote by megano28
I'm not even on that anymore, you're arguing over something that's gone

It sounded more like you heard me make a generalization and were about to try and attack my entire point based on that mistake.

Cool story.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 24, 2012,
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28

No, that's why I asked what your opinion was rather than ignorantly assuming you were talking about all modelers. If I was going to attack you based on your generalized comment, why wouldn't I have just done that rather than asking you to clarify?
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
No, that's why I asked what your opinion was rather than ignorantly assuming you were talking about all modelers. If I was going to attack you based on your generalized comment, why wouldn't I have just done that rather than asking you to clarify?

Because if you were to ignorantly assume that I believed so, I wouldn't have been as trapped as if I had clearly stated my beliefs to be so. It's lawyering 101
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by megano28
Because if you were to ignorantly assume that I believed so, I wouldn't have been as trapped as if I had clearly stated my beliefs to be so. It's lawyering 101

Sorry, I'm not a lawyer. I just wanted you to clarify what you thought because I wasn't sure, and you got pretty defensive. Kinda weak, imo.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
750 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
TBH, I've never used one (so I'd never recommend one either), I just know a lot of the equipment that gets hated on here isn't nearly as bad as people say it is.

Wow. Really? I feel like you tricked people into believing in your train of thought. I also believe that was irresponsible.

TS - I've owned the Frontman and the Vypyr and Vypyr is much much better. I wish they had been out when I first started. If you can save up and get the Vypyr 60 it will be well worth it. Especially for what you play. I've seen them used on eBay and Guitar Center starting at $250. I have a blog with a list of other amps I've played if you want to talk to someone who has played amps he recommends.
twisty571
50 IQ
Quote by JesusCrisp
For home use only I'd say get a Yamaha THR5 or 10 or if you play mostly high gain anyway the THR10C. The 10's are probably a bit out of your price range though, so you might want to save up for that.

In terms of practice amps I think those Yamaha THRs slay everything else in their price range.
Didn't expect that much of a good tone out of such a little amp myself.

I was just coming in here to say this,I was checking out a thread on these today on another site and some of the youtube vids were frickin excellent! No experience with one though...
15' Gibson LP Special EX Pro
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.

Marshall JCM800 Combo w/G12-80
Jet City JCA20 Combo w/ET-65
Jet City JCA22H>Kustom 4x12 w/G12N-65's
Randall RVC5>1x12 w/Vet.30
Ibanez TSA15H>V212
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
250 IQ
The video's definatly over sell the thr5, id go with the flextone honestly. You can grab them for 150 pretty much all day its a pretty sweet amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
160 IQ
I played them in person and honestly, those things are the best you can get for the money and right after the POD HD the best modeller I have played.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
238 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Wow. Really? I feel like you tricked people into believing in your train of thought. I also believe that was irresponsible.

It wasn't a train of thought, it was the truth. There's nothing irresponsible about honesty.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
evmac
Baroness Lover
50 IQ
TBH, I have a Spider IV 15 watter I use for practice. I used to own a Vypyr 30 watt but I got rid of it because it was too loud. The Vypyr is more versatile, the Spider has good cleans and a good metal sound, but anything in between is really, really bleh. Since that's all I use there's no real problem. However, the Vypyr will get you more usable tones.

I agree with Megan though, the Spider bashing it outta control. It's definitely a starter amp, but it's way better than others like than Frontmans, MGs, AVTs, Traynors's model, Orange's Crush etc...
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Quote by evmac
TBH, I have a Spider IV 15 watter I use for practice. I used to own a Vypyr 30 watt but I got rid of it because it was too loud.

It was too loud? They have a volume control that will take it down to whisper levels. I'm not following your reasoning.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
evmac
Baroness Lover
50 IQ
Now that I think through my logic I guess I was lazy and didn't make any quiet presets, but back then I used it for jams and I got sick of having to fiddle with it every time. Then when i got the Valveking i just got rid of it. The Spider is way quieter and much simpler to use, so I guess that's probably why I'm happy with it.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Last edited by evmac at Nov 26, 2012,
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
250 IQ
I said this before but no one listened to me I wonder why?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
The TS hasn't been in here for a while. Let it die.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
213 IQ
Quote by losing battle
I said this before but no one listened to me I wonder why?

It's a line 6, despite it being a great amp, no one wants to get an amp the kewl kidz might not like.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Page 2 of 2