Dear UG,

I'm a first time guitar buyer, and since it's black friday, I've decided to try to get something while places like Musicianfriend have discounts. I really want to learn fingerstyle, similar to artists like Tommy Emmanual, Thomas Leeb, Andy McKee etc. I've read the beginner buyer's guide, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice particularly regarding what I should look for for a fingerpicked guitar. Do I need to look for a special build, or particular type of strings, etc.?

Thank you very much for any advice!
a little wider nut and string space is nice for fingerpicking. try for 1 3/4" at the nut (a little wider isn't a bad thing, either) rather than the more common 1 11/16" or 1 5/8". a lot of smaller guitars have a slightly wider nut as does the seagull original s6 and some other seagulls. you don't mention a price, but the s6 is definitely worth a look.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely looking into the S6. I'm just as a whole not sure if a guitar for fingerpicking is drastically different than a normal one.

Should I look in the classical/nylon string section?
Last edited by kwj2104 at Nov 23, 2012,
Quote by kwj2104
Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely looking into the S6. I'm just as a whole not sure if a guitar for fingerpicking is drastically different than a normal one.

Should I look in the classical/nylon string section?

If you like Classical/nylons, yes. If you prefer Acoustics, no.
a guitar for fingerpicking is a normal guitar - i do all my strumming on guitars with wider nuts and it works great.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!