NelsonS707
256 IQ
So I'm getting a 7 string soon, but I've always wondered people with 7 strings tuned down to certain tunings. For example, Drop B or Drop C. Would you tune the 7th string up to B or C? or would you tune everything else down and just disregard the 7th string?
VVolverin3
Caparison Enthusiast
868 IQ
You could do Drop Bb by tuning the top 6 strings up a half step and then the 7th string down a half step but I'd be wary about tuning the high E up anymore than a half step or so unless you get a really low guage string (like an 8 or a 7).

I think people also sometimes use the 7th string to get an extra octave happening for a drop tuning. For example going to drop C on the top 6 strings and then tuning the 7th down to a G so you have the octave down from the 5th string.

Personally I just tune to standard.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
I don't have a 7 string atm, but i like to tune em either standart, drop A or a half step down (only for covers).

I also like to tune the G string down a half step (B, E, A, D, F#, b, e) so if you ignore the high E string it's like you have a guitar in B standart, so you can do low open chords, and i've wrote some interesting lead stuff in that tuning.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Toasted_Waffelz
147 IQ
Tosin from Animals as Leaders drops the low E to a D and leaves the rest standard, it's pretty cool.
EpiExplorer
orsonfacenospace
5,558 IQ
No one would use drop C on a seven string, messes up the point of extended range instruments..

A# standard or drop G are interesting choices. Any lower and its 8 String territory. Any higher and you might as well stick with a 6 string.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Toasted_Waffelz
Tosin from Animals as Leaders drops the low E to a D and leaves the rest standard, it's pretty cool.

No he doesn't. He plays an 8 string, drops the low F# to an E, leaves the rest standard, making it drop E.

For a 7 string you have a few options.
B standard, A# Standard, A standard, Drop A#, Drop A, Drop G# (which I use), Drop G and any other weird things you fancy,.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by frankibo
No he doesn't. He plays an 8 string, drops the low F# to an E, leaves the rest standard, making it drop E.

He also plays 7 stings, and he does tune like that.
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
I personally use Ab, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb for most 7 string stuff, either that or tuned the 7th down to Bb, and the 6 'normal' strngs up a semitone like someone mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't use that anything like as I much as I use the other. I don't play masses of 7 string (By 7 string, I do mean 8 string and just ignoring the low string), but when I do, it's generally either or those.

Quote by frankibo

He used the 'E down to a D' thing on a 7 string when recording CAFO, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's how he plays it live, or if he has any other songs like that though.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Jacques-Henri
55 IQ
Quote by adamgur96
He also plays 7 stings, and he does tune like that.

Yes and no : that tuning is only used on CAFO, all his other seven songs are in standard (On Impulse, Song of Solomon, Modern Meat etc.)
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Jacques-Henri
Yes and no : that tuning is only used on CAFO, all his other seven songs are in standard (On Impulse, Song of Solomon, Modern Meat etc.)

I know, forgot to mention that :P
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Minimallamb
642 IQ
BDADGBE is pretty cool. I used it half a step down. Its like drop D, but with a low B so you can get some interesting riffs. I think Periphery use it on Racecar
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Anchr
Took an arrow in the knee
330 IQ
Quote by Carl6661
He used the 'E down to a D' thing on a 7 string when recording CAFO, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's how he plays it live, or if he has any other songs like that though.

As far as I know CAFO is the only song in that particular tuning, and the one time I've seen Animals as Leaders live Tosin and Javier played that song on the 8 strings they used the entire set...
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
thebestjoe
546 IQ
I use a few different tunings on my 7's. My Ibby stays in half step down. My Douglas I don't remember what it's in because it's being lent to a friend. My Schecter has gone through some weird tunings. I used it for Dropped C / D standard with a high G string. Now it sits in Dropped D / E standard with 2 high E strings, where one alternates between E and Eb.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Anchr
As far as I know CAFO is the only song in that particular tuning, and the one time I've seen Animals as Leaders live Tosin and Javier played that song on the 8 strings they used the entire set...

Yeah that's what I was going by. While he may have used a 7 string to write and record something once upon a time everything they do now is with 8 strings.

Colossus
Toasted_Waffelz
147 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Yeah that's what I was going by. While he may have used a 7 string to write and record something once upon a time everything they do now is with 8 strings.

Yeah they do play with 8 strings live but since that's not what the thread's about I didn't bother. I watched a masterclass video where he was using a 7 string with that tuning and talking about it, and Cafo is one of their most popular songs so anyone who isn't a major fan would probably start with that.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Toasted_Waffelz
Yeah they do play with 8 strings live but since that's not what the thread's about I didn't bother. I watched a masterclass video where he was using a 7 string with that tuning and talking about it, and Cafo is one of their most popular songs so anyone who isn't a major fan would probably start with that.

Fair enough, I was unaware if that.

Colossus
kramer242
640 IQ
Since this thread is kind of on topic and I'm having no luck in the gear section, does anyone know what gauge strings would best work for drop f# and g on a 7. Guitar shops don't seem to have much selection for lower gauge 7 string sets.