rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
For christmas im looking into an upgrade from my valveking in terms of metal tones. Cleans are somewhat important but the best high gain tone is what im after.My limit is $800 and i see the 6505+ and the krankenstein jr 20 watt have good metal sound. Which is the better choice, or are there any better amps for the price i didnt list? thanks
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
I see the last post was from 2010 though.
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
new or used i play metal anywhere from all that remains to BTBAM, and just playin in my room so im worried the 60 watt peavey might be a bit muh considering i never have my valveking 112 above 2 on volume.
Quote by Rush_fan2112

Quote by figsandbobo
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
I prefer the Krank Rev Jr over the Kstein Jr. But have you thought about the Krank 1980 Jr?

You can always get a Hot Box from switch doctor switches and run it in the FX loop. It is a secondary volume and it works great so you can still get the tube saturation at extremely low volumes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
rickyvanh
63 IQ
I have a 5150 2x12 combo and it is too much of a beast for bedroom use.It sounds great but I rarely use it.I wish I could get that kind of sound at a low volume.
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time
103 IQ
I own a 6505+ 112 and I think it sounds pretty good at bedroom volumes, certainly usable and certainly better than the 6505+ model on my brother's Peavey Vypyr combo for example. Add an overdrive pedal and it's even better. Whether your amp is 20 watts or 60 watts, you aren't going to be able to crank it at bedroom volume at all. Both of those amps (and your VK for that matter) will be impossibly loud if you turn them up enough.

That being said, I wouldn't shy away from the 6505 just because it is high wattage. Yes, you can't turn it way up at home, but if you ever want to play out or play with a drummer you have that capability. Also, you don't need to worry about volume attenuators and getting power tube saturation. The modern metal sound comes mostly from the preamp. While it will sound better at higher volume, a 6505 will be just fine at lower volumes, too. Mine starts to sound good at 1 to 1.5 on the "post" knob which is the knob for the power section.

In that price range you might be able to score a used JCX combo, too. Those are awesome amps, will do the metal you want and lower gain tones as well. Worth a look if you can track one down and get the right deal.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
$50 more gets you an EVH 5150 III mini w/ a 15% discount code from MF/Music123/Zzounds/whatever. MUCH more versatile, great clean channel and a very nice crunch channel, with a lead channel that can get as brutal as you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
KailM
5,120 IQ
^^I'll agree, that 5150 III is more versatile, but to me, the lead channel didn't sound near as ballsy as my 6505+. And I played the 120 watt head, not the mini.

I can't speak for the Krankenstein, never played one.

If you have $800 to spend, you could get a 6505+ 112 and do a full tube upgrade AND a speaker upgrade which makes it hard to beat in terms of metal tone. I've found that running a lower gain tube in V1 and V5 really helps "clean up" the cleans, especially if you're using medium-output pickups. With actives, the cleans are acceptable but will never be Fender cleans. I also add reverb and slight modulation to my cleans and am very happy.

As for the 60 watt thing, I think you DO want that for metal. You may not be able to crank it all the time but at some point you'll be able to use it to its full advantage. I think mine sounds great even at low volumes, it's just that it sounds even better when cranked a bit. If you take your time with the post gain knob you can get it to a very acceptable volume level. But somewhere between 1 and 2 it suddenly jumps to the "very loud" stage. I've also found that adding a Tubescreamer helps maintain that "cranked" tone a little better at the low volume levels, but becomes less necessary as you turn it up.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Never played a 515III.

The Krankenstein + has pretty good cleans. Massive distortion with a huge low end while still having clarity. Huge gain on tap. I love it.

I hated the original Krankenstein as it was thin.

I have not played the Jr version.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
Well the valveking has a vintage 30so iwas gonna swap that into the new amp and throw the sheffield in the valveking. Soi think im gonna look at the 6505+ thanks guys. Will it be a noticable upgrade from the valveking?Dont really run any pedals but i will lookinto that tube saturator
Quote by Rush_fan2112

Quote by figsandbobo
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
I see alot of hot boxes which do you reccomend?
Quote by Rush_fan2112

Quote by figsandbobo
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
Btw guitars are a Gibson Les Paul standard plus and a Schecter avenger 7 string with 707s. Intrestingly enough the gibson is way better for metal imo
Quote by Rush_fan2112

Quote by figsandbobo
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Big upgrade.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by KailM
^^I'll agree, that 5150 III is more versatile, but to me, the lead channel didn't sound near as ballsy as my 6505+. And I played the 120 watt head, not the mini.

Interesting - Cause I'd describe the 5150 III as much more ballsy than the 6505+, the original 5150/6505 design however, that's a different story, but the 6505+ is significantly more smooth and not nearly as brutal

Different sounds, I suppose, the 6505+ is more low-mid oriented, while the 5150 III is more higher mids, but it can cop a very similar sound if you play with it. Not to mention the clean channel completely destroys the Peavey's and the crunch channel kills.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
1,607 IQ
With most of the high gain heads out there, most of the distortion comes from the preamp. Powertube distortion on my 6505+ 120 watter doesn't happen until the post gain is up at around noon which requires hearing protection and is way too loud for any venue I have ever played. Having the amp at 9 oclock is generally too loud. Once you get it above 1-1.5, you will get decent tone, at least in my 6505 experience.

The 120 watter is no bedroom amp though for sure. Can't say about the 60 watt, but something to consider.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Krankenstein sounds great at bedroom levels. Master volume. You can get that chugga chugga in your gut without plates falling off tables.

Thanks for your input tremolo. That can be a make or break for some people.

I know a few guys here who have the 6505s also have vypyrs for late night.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
I use my 5150 into a 2x12 or 4x12 for "bedroom levels."

Bedroom level is a pretty relative term.

If I wanted to play at speaking volumes, I wouldn't even bother playing through an amp, and just plug into my Kemper. There's not a single amp at speaking volume that can even hope to sound half as good as my Kemper does through headphones
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
rickyvanh
63 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
I use my 5150 into a 2x12 or 4x12 for "bedroom levels."

Bedroom level is a pretty relative term.

If I wanted to play at speaking volumes, I wouldn't even bother playing through an amp, and just plug into my Kemper. There's not a single amp at speaking volume that can even hope to sound half as good as my Kemper does through headphones

I haven't heard of a Kemper,but I am very interested.How much do they cost?
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by rhcp33roxx
I see alot of hot boxes which do you reccomend?

I'd go with the all metal housing not the ABS. They are all the same, just diffrent designs on them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time
103 IQ
Attenuators (or products like the hot box, which gives a similar result) are really only good for small reductions in volume. For example, say your ideal tone on stage is with the amp's volume at 6 but that is a bit too loud for the venue, and you wish you could get the volume down to what it sounds like on 4.5 or so, which is still really loud but not to the point where ears bleed. This is where an attenuator or similar product does a great job. Beyond that, they slowly get worse as they make the amp quieter and quieter. You might find that the hot box suits you, but I want to warn you that you aren't going to use that thing to get the amp whisper quiet and have it sound the same as it does on 2 or 3. The more volume you cut, the more tone you suck. It's an unfortunate reality of that type of gear. Still, that might be acceptable to you, but buyer beware.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
rhcp33roxx
UG Newbie
870 IQ
Thanks guys. Damn its a hard choice still not sure now. @ geetarheero where in ny are ya? Upstate here
Quote by Rush_fan2112

Quote by figsandbobo
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
Get the 6505+! I'v been debating getting one, to debating getting the combo or the head, and I played the head in GC today you can definitely play that thing at bedroom volumes no doubt and it sounded sweet, starts out good and only gets better as you turn it up.
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time
103 IQ
Quote by rhcp33roxx
Thanks guys. Damn its a hard choice still not sure now. @ geetarheero where in ny are ya? Upstate here

If you're worried you'll make the wrong pick, play them both as much as possible, as you have to live with the amp in the end. Since you're in Uostate NY, Guitar Center should give you somewhere you can jam with the amps. Try to go at a time when the store isn't busy and the sound room should be all yours. Also, Guitar Center offers a 30 day guarantee on new gear. Buying from there will give you 30 days to return the amp you chose if you aren't happy with it. Or, if you end up being sure on which one you want, you could pick it up used locally or online and get a better deal. Just be sure to test it (locally), or be sure you can return it if it's defective (online).

Btw, whereabouts in Upstate? I'm in Rochester.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz