PluckingGood
87 IQ
I know there have been threads about this before but I just can't seem to get this technique down. I've also tried watching videos on youtube but just not getting the sound I'm hoping for so have a few questions.

Can pinch harmonics be achieved at any volume? With any amp/guitar settings? With any electric guitar?

I feel that I'm doing the technique correctly and I get a harmonic note but the guitar just doesn't squeal like it should. There are a few songs I'm learning at the moment and they have these notes in so I'd really like to get my head around it. Any tips please?
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,516 IQ
lots of gain, hot pups, new strings, pups a bit closer to strings, treble humbucker. All these things help. Search along the string for the best part to pinch
adamgur96
Not caring no more
866 IQ
Quote by Tempoe
lots of gain, hot pups, new strings, pups a bit closer to strings, treble humbucker. All these things help. Search along the string for the best part to pinch

This and good vibrato.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Once you get good at finding the harmonic nodes, you'll be able to pull off pinches on a totally clean tone. Hell, I can do 'em on an acoustic more often than not.
bigblockelectra
572 IQ
Keep in mind on some guitars, certain pickups and "harmonic locations" are not ideal or cannot be heard.

The neck pickup on a standard stratocaster won't pickup open string 5th-fret harmonics very well because it basically sits at the "node", a term mentioned before, where there is very little movement of the string.

I personally find that a pinch is easiest when done without a pick. EIther way, it requires a light touch the further up the neck you go, otherwise you just get a plucking sound.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Nov 30, 2012,
gabipe15
171 IQ
You need gain first, and then try on the 5th 7th 9th fret of b and g strings.
If that ones do not scream then i think you're doing something wrong.
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!
414 IQ
Slightly brush the string with your thumb as you hit the string, and good vibrato is key (as mentioned above) when i first learned to do them I had to think about the technique every time, now its just second nature.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion