Page 2 of 2
Redneck isn't even a good example (and I'm not sure why it's so popular). Though that song is pretty funny.

THIS shit on the other hand, is how to be heavy as **** in Drop D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkhCxCcWSE
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For your malice. Makes the rest sound like lullabies
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Oh haha yes. The opening riff in For Your Malice is so sweet.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by skizd13
Playing a Drop tunning gives that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACe9IDkJo0 .
Drop G, tell me that it doesnt sound heavier than D#

Thats psuedo-heavy, I think I'm hardcore because I have a 7 string tuned to FLUB playing three fretted notes in a 'dudda da, dun dun" chug.

Lamb of God reference, or AIC "We Die Young" perfect example of true heaviness.
Wood affects tone due to the engorgment of the corpus cavernosum.
I cant help it. I masturbate so fast my hands go back in time and type all sorts of crazy shit.
Goth is the theatrical element without being a whiny little emo bitch.
I actually prefer to play in Drop H.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by ihartfood
ah! mommy cookie monster sounds angry in this song
That wasn't the sound of Cookie Monster. That was the mating call of homosexual underweights.

Lol I totally stole that one. xD
I like how this thread is a page of talking about gain and 2 pages talking about dropped tunings.
On my Marshall class 5 (modded) I dime the master and regular volume control. AND push it harder with a ts9 (for my lead tone). It all depends on the gain you have to work with
@ many of these posts about tunings.

As far as gain goes, I never turn it up past 10-o clock on my Fireball. Anything past 1-o clock or so is just pure overkill.

I'd still rather listen to the gain dimed than the mids completely cut though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60
- Fender Bassman 50 ('72)
- Fender 2x12 ('60s?)

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
It's all personal preference, I happen to like how it sounds with the pre on max and as others have said there's little difference between 7 and 10. Granted it may sound a little clearer at about 5 or 6 but i like the extra grunt, and really the actual clarity difference in terms of being able to distinguish chords and such is negligable. It all depends on what you're playing, if i was doing some stuff like megadeth then i'd probably run at about 4 or 5, but i mostly do black metal with my 6505+ (only use it in the studio with my band, other stuff at home of different styles i use sims) and for a nice dimmu-esque sound maxing out the gain works well. Also i feel i must point out that even with it at max on the gain everything does still sound nice and clearly defined, at least when using a guitar equipped with good pups and constructed well. I wouldn't know how it sounds using something of lower quality. Anyway, main point is some will like it with gain right up and some won't, and either way the amp is good enough to sound good either way really. So what does it matter?
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Dec 22, 2012,
Quote by skizd13
Playing a Drop tunning gives that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACe9IDkJo0 .
Drop G, tell me that it doesnt sound heavier than D#

that is way too queer

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego