dale1985
10 IQ
Hi Guys,

A question that's been bugging me for a while. If anyone could enlighten me I would be appreciative.

I have a 2 channel tube amp and use 2 overdrives, one for each channel. So I have clean, clean with a bit of dirt, distortion channel, and lead.

Now I set up my distortion channel overdrive with level max, gain 0. This pushes the preamp tubes giving me a bit more volume but lots more gain, all good, understood.

Here's the bit I don't understand. The overdrive I use on my clean channel is set to level 3, gain 0. This is not any louder than off but has a bit of grit to it which I like. Does this mean I'm using 'fake' distortion from the overdrive that's just been added with solid state circuitery? If so does this mean that when people have a single channel amp, set it clean and use pedals for dirt, they are using artificial distortion? What's the point of that because then your never driving the tubes to get that smooth gain...? Are you? Help!

Thanks,

Dale
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
To put it very simply, an overdrive into a Fender Frontman does not sound the same as an overdrive into a Fender Twin Reverb. Think about it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Very few overdrives, if any, produce no distortion themselves when the drive/gain knob is turned down. That's why I use a dead clean boost from my GP-8 with the overdrive effect turned off. No added distortion there, just pure clean boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Roc8995
250 IQ
There's no such thing as artificial distortion, and there's nothing wrong with getting it from a pedal rather than your amp.

It's easy to get concerned about adding solid state distortion if you're used to hearing about all these cheap, crappy SS amps, but pedals are a good example of how SS components can be used effectively. Tube distortion isn't the immortal be-all end-all sound.

Side note: boosting a clean amp with a SS pedal doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting your distortion from the pedal. A big signal into the preamp will overdrive it, so even if the pedal and amp are clean individually, when you hit the front end with a bigger signal it will start to distort. So you might have tube distortion after all.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Yeah, but Colin, he says there's no increase in volume => it's not being boosted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
You Heretic Bastard. That Ss Distortion You Created Is Raping Our Churches And Burning Our Women!!!!!!!
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Blompcube
555 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
To put it very simply, an overdrive into a Fender Frontman does not sound the same as an overdrive into a Fender Twin Reverb. Think about it.

+1

The amp is always adding it's own tonal qualities to the sound, regardless of what pedals you're using.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Roc8995
250 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, but Colin, he says there's no increase in volume => it's not being boosted.

Good catch, didn't read that closely enough. Plus like you said most pedals introduce some distortion even at zero.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
what cathbard said.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
1,213 IQ
Quote by dale1985
Hi Guys,

A question that's been bugging me for a while. If anyone could enlighten me I would be appreciative.

I have a 2 channel tube amp and use 2 overdrives, one for each channel. So I have clean, clean with a bit of dirt, distortion channel, and lead.

Now I set up my distortion channel overdrive with level max, gain 0. This pushes the preamp tubes giving me a bit more volume but lots more gain, all good, understood.

Here's the bit I don't understand. The overdrive I use on my clean channel is set to level 3, gain 0. This is not any louder than off but has a bit of grit to it which I like. Does this mean I'm using 'fake' distortion from the overdrive that's just been added with solid state circuitery? If so does this mean that when people have a single channel amp, set it clean and use pedals for dirt, they are using artificial distortion? What's the point of that because then your never driving the tubes to get that smooth gain...? Are you? Help!

Thanks,

Dale

If you like it, why is that a problem?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Roc8995
250 IQ
He heard on the internet that it's inferior to something else that has magic mojo and costs 10 times as much. It's called TGP syndrome.
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time
10 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
He heard on the internet that it's inferior to something else that has magic mojo and costs 10 times as much. It's called TGP syndrome.

The history of the present illness certainly supports this diagnosis.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

ikey_
370 IQ
well you can boost the preamp and saturate it, in which its not going to add volume.

ie - if i boost the clean channel on my amp i get a LARGE volume boost, whereas the same boost on the dirty channel with the gain up a lot = not that much volume increase, but a definite gain increase.

good example of headroom.

to answer you question, yes and no. it all depends on the player, gear, and how they run the OD.

if they have super high headroom, low output pups, and are maxing the OD, sure, a lot is coming from the solid state pedal. the amp will still impart some of its tone.

if your are running a low wattage / headroom amp, a guitar with buckers, and using the pedal as a boost, you are driving the amp more and hearing more of the natural overdrive, and the pedal is imparting some of the tone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)