Page 2 of 2
Do you at least remember the first time that you were this scared of needles? Do you have any idea what it is about them that scares you? Do other things shaped like needles scare you in the same way? Those are the kinds of things to ask yourself. I think if you can really just stop associating needles with fear, you'll feel better. They're harmless. Maybe just repeating to yourself that they're harmless will help.
Quote by jimbob78
Cheers Kratos. I have no idea why they scare me tbh, but it's severe. Logic is all very well (and logically speaking this is ridiculous), but that doesn't help me unfortunately. I wish it did.

I can't offer anything other than telling you that you will be ABSOLUTELY FINE. You probably know this already, but you are making the situation bad by constantly thinking negative thoughts and freaking out. I assure you, you'll be OK. It takes no time at all and you be glad you did afterwards. You'll feel like a stronger person because of it.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Not a clue on either, and no. Just needles that get me. I know they're harmless too. It's ridiculous, but obviously quite a big problem if it's jeopardizing a job.
It's like an awful dilemma for me. And neither way is really a choice.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Phobia treatment for needles can't be worked through logically, as fear of needles isn't psychologically based. When you get an injection the physical act of such a small puncture causes an immediate rise in heart-rate and blood pressure. Your body is afraid of this, not of the needles, but you associate this with needles because they induce it.

This is also why 'being calm and taking deep breaths' won't help, and will in fact probably make things worse as the subsequent blood pressure spike will be even more a shock to the system. There's a variety of medication though that will prevent this problem, and will thus stop your body from associating the two things. It does require that you get a jab whilst under this medication, but it should help cure it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Man, I'd try not to worry about it/worstadviceever. My step grandmother is a nurse, and she shat herself getting a needle once. She's ****ing petrified of them. It usually takes 3 or 4 people to hold her down, and she still has her job. My mums also a nurse, and she's my nigga. Like previously stated, just try explaining your situation to the nurse. I'm sure she'll understand, and unless you punch her in the throat, I'm sure you'll get the job.

Also, don't shit yourself.
Due to being terrified, I'm not willing to go near a needle (as much as I wish I was).
I shall try not to shit myself!
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

did they specifically ask or tell you they will be taking blood sample. and checking immunization records?? i recently applied for a job and they asked me to go in for a physical, i figured it would include blood and urine test. but to my surprise they didn't ask for one.

don't quote me on this buuut apparently companies cant not hire you if they find you have a disease. its discriminating i guess this is just what i heard..

why be scared of needles? they dont hurt at all. like AT ALL!...just think of the money and oppertunity this job will give you. im sure its gonna be worth it
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Dec 3, 2012,
It says it on the form. it's staring at me like a death sentence!
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

If what Todd Hart is true, then you're just going to have to face it. Stay calm and explain it to the nurse. I've faced a lot of anxiety in the past few years, and while it's different than a phobia, I can tell you that going through it all makes you stronger. After you've gone through it, you'll be all the better for it. Bring a friend or even have them drive you to the appointment if you need to. It should help. Good luck.
needles freak me out too.

man the **** up and take it like a manly man would, bitch.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Go to a therapist. It will make your life easier if you got over this phobia somehow.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by sebastian_96
Pfft, I have diabetes. I have (at minimum) 4 needles a day along with pricking my fingertips for blood sugar readings. I also have regular blood tests at the pathology.

But I'm afraid of spiders so I get where you are coming from. But the only word of advice is to just do it. Slap yourself in the face, hard, and get your shit.

Came in here to say the same thing.

So, +1 I guess.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
get something from your doctor like a mild tranquilizer maybe? Also you could promise yourself a reward if you go through with it and focus on that
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
In this thread, TS asks for help, but doesn't take advice from anyone.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
watch the other way, a good doctor will always tell you what he's about to do, thinking about it will make it worse. just relax, chat with the guy and it's over before you know it.

be happy it isn't intra muscular, those needles are 2 inches long, and i hope for you you'll never be a diabetic, those people get injected 2 twice a day
As already posted, needles ****in' rock.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by lt mittens
watch the other way, a good doctor will always tell you what he's about to do, thinking about it will make it worse. just relax, chat with the guy and it's over before you know it.

be happy it isn't intra muscular, those needles are 2 inches long, and i hope for you you'll never be a diabetic, those people get injected 2 twice a day

Try 4 times.

3 "fast acting" injections - one before each meal, and 1 "slow acting" 24 hour injection every day.

At a minimum, and that's no counting the blood sugar testing which uses tiny little needles (hidden in a "pen") to prick the fingertips.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Try 4 times.

3 "fast acting" injections - one before each meal, and 1 "slow acting" 24 hour injection every day.

At a minimum, and that's no counting the blood sugar testing which uses tiny little needles (hidden in a "pen") to prick the fingertips.

sorry i'm not an expert on the subject, even though i had to study this stuff for an exam just keep it at persons with diabetis and needle phobia are pretty much screwed and those blood sugar tests hurt like hell i can assure you
Last edited by lt mittens at Dec 4, 2012,
Quote by jimbob78
I literally cannot do this. I wouldn't say it makes me a wuss either. It's a genuine phobia. You wouldn't tell someone depressed to "Cheer the **** up" would you? I can't even make myself go there in the knowledge of this.

Think you'll find I would.

But yeah, I had a terrible phobia of needles, then when I joined the navy I got "man up" and the needle was smashed in. Still scared but it's 10 seconds of your life
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by lt mittens
sorry i'm not an expert on the subject, even though i had to study this stuff for an exam just keep it at persons with diabetis and needle phobia are pretty much screwed and those blood sugar tests hurt like hell i can assure you

They don't hurt! I'm a diabetic, and have been for.... 18 years now. I'm 26 and was diagnosed when I was 8.

Maybe you just get used to them!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
They don't hurt! I'm a diabetic, and have been for.... 18 years now. I'm 26 and was diagnosed when I was 8.

Maybe you just get used to them!

i think it was because the pen was put to the highest stance,because my blood flow wasn't optimal in my fingertips. i was a guinea pig for a classmate that time
Quote by metacarpi
Came in here to say the same thing.

So, +1 I guess.

let's make this a Diabetic thread
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by jimbob78
I literally can't make myself. And the thought of dealing with it freaks me out, as that ultimately leads to the same thing.

You misuse 'literally' a lot...

The simple fact is that you have the physical capability to do this. If someone were to stick a gun to your head (electrodes on your balls...whatever...) I'm reasonably sure you could accomplish the task...

At the risk of being trite, courage isn't the absence of fear (since any idiot can attempt something when they aren't worried about it) courage is acknowledging your fear and doing what needs to be done anyway.

Frankly if you won't even talk to a health care professional about it, you have bigger problems than a needle phobia.

Lest you think I don't understand, I had this very phobia for many years.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Focus on something else in the room and not the needle. And don't psych yourself out before going in there. Relax.
there are really no relaxation techniques that will help you with this. many people do not understand that phobias have more to do with the sensation of physical objects (a needle) than with pain, or something else plainly undesirable.

there are treatment paths for phobias, but it seems you don't have very much time. maybe you should talk to your doctor. they probably have experience with people like you.
Just do it. Mind over matter my friend. It's all in your head. Think about some soldiers who had to carry six inch needle packs on them in case of nerve gas attacks and had to inject themselves at any given time if there was an attack. In the case of VX gas, that needle has to be plunged right into your heart. Your case isn't a life and death thing, but think of it that way, just ****ing do it. Man up, grow some chest hair and ****ing take the needle that you'll barely feel. Christ, the needle is so small you could probably just have the nurse rub some lidocaine on the area beforehand and you won't feel shit.
Quote by metalblaster
Just do it. Mind over matter my friend. It's all in your head. Think about some soldiers who had to carry six inch needle packs on them in case of nerve gas attacks and had to inject themselves at any given time if there was an attack. In the case of VX gas, that needle has to be plunged right into your heart. Your case isn't a life and death thing, but think of it that way, just ****ing do it. Man up, grow some chest hair and ****ing take the needle that you'll barely feel. Christ, the needle is so small you could probably just have the nurse rub some lidocaine on the area beforehand and you won't feel shit.

You've been watching too many movies.

Atropine auto-injectors, which is what the military issues, aren't anything like what you saw on "The Rock"...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Just try and forget that they're actually injecting a hellish mind-altering serum into your bloodstream.
lol nah bish
Well, phobias are developed, and thus can be got rid off. Perhaps google and read about needles a bit, become acknowledged with them more.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by jimbob78
It's nothing to do with pain or blood. I could quite comfortably cut my arm (if I had to, not in a deranged way :P ). I just can't do needles, in any form.

How do you knit then?

OT: pretend it's a rigid metal noodle or something. Try not to think of it as a needle.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I'm not particularly afraid of needles...I once booted a hench security dude in the face to get some benzo's pinned up my right arse cheek, just because I wanted to see what it was like. If I could get pure quality of any sedative prepared for IV I can't see any reason to say no, but that's probably why so many people at college think I'm just a junkie in the making :P

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
I'm not particularly afraid of needles...I once booted a hench security dude in the face to get some benzo's pinned up my right arse cheek, just because I wanted to see what it was like. If I could get pure quality of any sedative prepared for IV I can't see any reason to say no, but that's probably why so many people at college think I'm just a junkie in the making :P

Irony - I have an SIA License and I'm 260lbs.

Still scared
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Look at it like this: If you just go through it this time, you'll be closer to getting rid of your fear, and will have actually faced your fears.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Definitely visit your GP. Maybe you could get some nerve-relaxing drugs?

You're going to have to face you fear at some point, so try to get an appointment to see a therapist.
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
Page 2 of 2