Hey guys,

The amp I currently have is a very, very old 15 watt. My dad built it, and it literally just has a volume knob. I usually just play guitar in my room/watching TV, and just jam out to whatever I feel like, so not exactly planning to join a band any time soon. What are the best amps for playing like this? I have a budget of about $100-200 max. I have heard of Line 6 and Peavy, but have heard mixed reviews about both. I usually play metal, and will be playing it on an ESP EC-401.

Thanks guys
Peavey Vypyr
Roland Cube
Vox Vt
Fender mustang 3

In order of my preference for metal. (The vox has best cleans imo)
Search for a used Vypyr 30. I wouldn't get anything smaller, imo, the 12" speaker is a must have.
I've played a vox 75W and it sounded like complete poo. a Peavey Vypyr Roland Cube or Line 6 would be good.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by amonamarthmetal
I've played a vox 75W and it sounded like complete poo. a Peavey Vypyr Roland Cube or Line 6 would be good.

Except not the Line 6
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
I like my Vypyr 30, but honestly, I prefer the simplicity of my little Orange Crush 12 watt. It probably wouldn't be right for your sound though, the overdrive is weak. I mostly use it for fuzz and high gain.
Vox vt30 or 40, good starter... Great sounding bedroom amp for the price and also if u got no effect pedals etc... I still use my old vox as a party/traveller amp now, spilt beer and smoke ash all over her and she's fine, tuff as an old boot, no one wants to take a 2k amp or PA to a drunken sausage fest.
I have the Vypyr 10 watt for just jamming in my room, it sounds great a low levels and there are tons of effects and cool sounds you can get out of it. Id suggest Peavey for a low cost practice amp any day.
For me the best bedroom amp is a vintage Marshall with an Aracrom attenuator.
Just checked out the Vox VT20+ on YouTube... pretty awesome sounding amp. I was way more impressed with this than any of the Line 6 videos. I'll definitely have to check them out in-store to compare them better, though.
The Vox VT amps are really good, as is the Roland Cube. You wouldn't be going wrong with either.
If you can find an old VOX DA5, it's ideal for bedroom, but you might need some pedals to get the metal tones. I say an old one because it is discontinued and the closest replacement sucks.

Don't trust anyone who recomends Line 6 under $700. I.e., any Spider amp. Even the Spider Valves are wonky; even a Bogner power section can't totally correct a Spider digital preamp.

The smaller Roland Cubes lack bottom end compared to the DA5. Also they have a very limited range of tones. So many better choices out there.

Stay away from any solid state Marshall amp like the plague.
Quote by jetwash69

The smaller Roland Cubes lack bottom end compared to the DA5. Also they have a very limited range of tones. So many better choices out there.

I agree with this, I had a 15w one for a while and really didn't like it...it was good for cleans, I thought, but the distortion channells seemed weak to my ears.
For metal? Try to find a used Peavey Vypyr 30.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i love my VOX DA5 but it's not the best option if you mostly play metal.

i'd look for a vypyr 30. sale prices should have them for around $150 new.

since you can afford a new one, i'd go that route. warranty and all.

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
DAW software with a power amp, if i was going to answer the title of the thread directly.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 4, 2012,
As mentioned a modelling amp will do fine for bedroom playing. Not only will you get more sounds from it but won't need to buy pedals for thngs like Chorus or delay.
I have the VT30 but these are discontinued and have been replaced by the VT+ series. I've heard they are not quite as good but can't speak from experience.
I also wouldn't get anything smaller than a 10inch speaker. The 8's just don't have any bottom end.
Moving on.....
I've played cubes vox's spiders and vypyrs and I'd say the VYPYR 30 hands down. Thing is amazing
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
fender Frontman 25r. great little amps, and can be toyed with enough to make a great range of sounds. They are usually $100.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
A Line 6 Pod is in the same price range (older or used models anyway), sounds better, takes less space, can be used for recording, has a lot of effects (and routing possibilities with them), can be thrown into your backpack and used for playing gigs without the need of miking a cab... Oh, but it's not aren't packaged in an amp form, so it doesn't qualify
Quote by Controlpanel
fender Frontman 25r. great little amps, and can be toyed with enough to make a great range of sounds. They are usually $100.

No, just no!
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
I used a Blackstar HT-5 when I lived in the dorms. It was pretty warm sounding at low volumes. I've recommended it before and I would again.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6