loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
Hey all.

So Xmas is commin up and I thought I'd treat myself to a new phaser.

Budget: about £80 but the cheaper the better.

New is obviously preferable but I'm happy to go used.

Genre: mostly metal, djent, 'core etc. but I use a lot of cleans.

See my sig for current gear.

This phaser will be run in my chain before my JVM410h. I went to a shop on Friday and tried out the MXR block and script phase 90s. I liked the script better but it was too slow and with no led indication or power supply input it's pretty useless for me. The block one, as the name suggests, was very blocky under high gain. No sweep to it just a sort of on or off sound.
Is the EVH model any better?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers guys.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,499 IQ
evh model is pretty much the same.

i would suggest something with both depth and regeneration controls, so you can get the phase to poke through the mix even at slower speeds. the homebrew psilocybe is great and versatile, and not too expensive. or an old boss MIJ ph-1r is awesome - i settled on one of those after god knows how many phasers.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
the mooer one is meant to be great (but i haven't tried it), and you can get it from china from e.g. marcmart with the voucher code Mooer132 for like £27 shipped.

i've got a joyo and it's pretty nice. not really any cheaper than the mooer, though, when you take that code into account (that same code works on joyo pedals, but you have to have a mooer pedal in your cart too, which isn't going to happen if you're only getting one pedal).

I'm taking your "the cheaper the better" bit literally. But seriously, there are several gushing posts about that mooer phaser on the music radar forum, there was a thread about it in the last day or two.

I don't think either will do the more versatile thing NakedInTheRain is talking about, though, so if you need that, you'd probably need to look elsewhere.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

monwobobbo
608 IQ
look into the EH Small Stone phaser. it has more options than the MXR phase 90. a really good and inexpensive phaser is made by Delta Lab (don't know about UK availability). i greatly prefer it to Boss's PH-2 or the PH-3.
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
thanks for the replys guys.

Naked: I cant seem to find any of the homebrews in the uk. but i shall keep hunting as they look interesting. and i dont know if i can get the old boss one in my budget but ill have a go.

Dave: the mooer one looks awesome for the price and i like the fact that its switchable. and thanks for the info on the discounts.

monwobobbo: ive tried the small stone before and wasnt that keen. however i shall gove it another go.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^^ bear in mind, you might get hit with customs (shouldn't be too much on a £27 pedal, but worth bearing in mind). and it could take a couple of weeks to come.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

jaybals
guitarchitect
1,825 IQ
If you're around london, i can sell you my EVH Phase 90! =P

Great pedal, nice and simple, but a good range of tones (well, speeds) can be had. The script button is nice, because it's not as in your face.
I can get great Gilmour-ish tones with that, OD and my Cornell cranked up.

I just don't use mine as much as i used to, and for what i use it for, i can get similar sounds with my chorus/vibe pedal
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
so's the mooer as far as i'm aware, and it has the switch (i'm guessing that goes between script and block versions, but )
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

B&J
1,062 IQ
PS i guess the phaser is one of those effects you play with for a while and never use again... at least for me.