Poll: Your programming language?
Poll Options
View poll results: Your programming language?
C
25 28%
C++
45 51%
C#
20 23%
Python
32 36%
Perl
12 14%
Lisp
11 13%
Haskell
12 14%
Idris
11 13%
Java
40 45%
Ruby
14 16%
Voters: 88.
Page 3 of 3
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I like and agree with this statement. I just really dislike how implementing GUIs works.

get used to it, as far as I can tell your only gripe was that there is too much code to write and if you can't handle a lot of code you're in for a rude shock if you ever try to write something useful.

MVC baby, MVC. Java is actually rather intuitive when it comes to creating GUI's, they're just ugly in Windows

Quote by eGraham
It's "meh" for me. I know that OptionPane is not the best/most difficult, but I used it a lot for a simple game I wrote and became pretty comfortable with it. I've also dabbled in JFrame a bit, but not nearly enough to say I know stuff about it.

JOptionPane barely counts, you practically just replace System.out.println's with popup windows

once you get into Java GUI's properly you'll find things you'll love to hate, the drawing API's were the most annoying at first IMO
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Dec 5, 2012,
Well, I'm learning Java and a little Perl, as well as Assembley, and I'm going to be starting C++ and Prolog at some point. I like Java the most though, since it's mostly fairly logical.

Or at least what I know of it is
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Well, all languages should be logical lol. But I'm just splitting hairs.

I really do enjoy Java though. I think after my next class I'll be learning C++, so I'll have a better opinion of it then.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I liked the section of languages that don't even float lol
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Diamond Dave
get used to it, as far as I can tell your only gripe was that there is too much code to write and if you can't handle a lot of code you're in for a rude shock if you ever try to write something useful.

The code isn't the issue. I've worked on several large projects. 100s of lines of code is fine. But GUIs are awkward to me in Java. I've a professor who also says this (and worked in the industry for years before teaching).
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The code isn't the issue. I've worked on several large projects. 100s of lines of code is fine. But GUIs are awkward to me in Java. I've a professor who also says this (and worked in the industry for years before teaching).

that's interesting. /sarcasm Java GUI's are just an easy target for anybody, my first professor who introduced us to Java GUI's ran with that line as well. The year after another one tore the whole thing down and explained it all which really highlighted all it's great strengths.

they do require a lot of legwork but its not difficult. The system can feel clunky but that's just because it lets you do whatever you want, which is a good thing. Once you've delved into a few other languages you'll realise that the grass is actually pretty green on Java's side of the fence (in respect to GUI's at least).

EDIT: also lol @ implying that 100s of lines constitutes a "large" project.
Quote by eGraham
Well, all languages should be logical lol. But I'm just splitting hairs.

I really do enjoy Java though. I think after my next class I'll be learning C++, so I'll have a better opinion of it then.

I worded that rather poorly I meant of the three languages I currently know bits of, Java is the easiest for me to get my head around. Perl isn't too bad either, but I haven't really been doing it long enough to have written anything useful with it.

Quote by NothingRocks
Here's something you guys might get a chuckle from:

If Programming Languages Were Boats

HTML
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by Diamond Dave
that's interesting. /sarcasm Java GUI's are just an easy target for anybody, my first professor who introduced us to Java GUI's ran with that line as well. The year after another one tore the whole thing down and explained it all which really highlighted all it's great strengths.

they do require a lot of legwork but its not difficult. The system can feel clunky but that's just because it lets you do whatever you want, which is a good thing. Once you've delved into a few other languages you'll realise that the grass is actually pretty green on Java's side of the fence (in respect to GUI's at least).

You're an arrogant prick, take your smugness and fuck yourself. I'm glad you get to feel superior. Too bad it's of no benefit to you.

Also, lol@ implying I said it was a large project.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Diamond Dave

man that ego...

i know where you're coming from sam. gui programming is annoying. that's why i don't do it but i suppose that's not an option for you.
That wasn't really egotistical or arrogant. It's not that impressive that his professor worked in "the industry", so did everybody's; Java is an easy target in general, not even just for GUIs and a lot of people take pot shots at it even though it has strengths; and 100s of lines of code isn't a particularly large project.

I mean, I'm not saying that DD isn't arrogant, but that wasn't a good example of it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That wasn't really egotistical or arrogant. It's not that impressive that his professor worked in "the industry", so did everybody's; Java is an easy target in general, not even just for GUIs and a lot of people take pot shots at it even though it has strengths; and 100s of lines of code isn't a particularly large project.

I mean, I'm not saying that DD isn't arrogant, but that wasn't a good example of it.

I agree with this, except about the prof bit. My C++ prof was beyond worthless.

I'm introducing myself to Ruby over the winter break to get ready for my new job. Anyone here have any experience with it?
Quote by NothingRocks
Here's something you guys might get a chuckle from:

If Programming Languages Were Boats

MatLab PHP and HTML are lulz
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're an arrogant prick, take your smugness and fuck yourself. I'm glad you get to feel superior. Too bad it's of no benefit to you.

Also, lol@ implying I said it was a large project.

lol wat, I wasn't having a go ffs.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel

thank you, someone with reading comprehension skills.

EDIT: just to clarify sam, if you read between the lines a little bit I was trying to give you some advice.. everyone has ragged on Java at some point, but my point was simply to try and enjoy it while it lasts because you'll be dealing with MUCH more awkward things in the future.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Avedas
I agree with this, except about the prof bit. My C++ prof was beyond worthless.

I'm introducing myself to Ruby over the winter break to get ready for my new job. Anyone here have any experience with it?

I spent a few weeks this past summer learning Rails, which I think is generally all Ruby is ever used for now. Rails is ridiculous. Once you figure out what's going on programming is basically like having a conversation with the computer.
Fortran or get out.

Yeah right. Mine's C. Although I've been looking into getting into Python.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
every option

C# is my fave though, it's the only language I've written code in, sat back and smiled and said "that's pretty." Java is OK and mothaFUCK PERL and Python. Ugly as.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Java because I want my stuff to clog up your CPU
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by SwoobGuitar
Spanish. Ola, je suis un programmer.

Is that Canadian Spanish?

And programming guis in matlab sucks. Dat tedium, and I'm too used to having the y axis go from top to bottom, and not the matlab way...

Quote by NothingRocks
I use it to develop applications I want. I've been working on a character creator for Tabletop RPGs I like. I occasionally it for developing video games. I've made a few games in Unity using Java. I also made a custom game server for an MMO I liked. I think it used a mix of C++, Perl, Lua, and used XML(for monsters, items, and etc.).

Is that some sort of random character creator or something? My brother extracted all the Asari names from Mass Effect and made an Asari name generator by using common beginnings and endings of names from the game.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by SteveHouse
every option

C# is my fave though, it's the only language I've written code in, sat back and smiled and said "that's pretty." Java is OK and mothaFUCK PERL and Python. Ugly as.

PHP web development is pretty damn ugly.

When your outputting data, for the most part, its an ugly mix of PHP code and HTML code.
usually ending with a few JavaScript functions.

Really hideous.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
OH, FUCKING GUIs! I hate GUIs. They're so damn messy to program. Even a simple GUI can be hundreds of lines of code. My Object-Oriented Programming professor loves GUIs, and so he uses them extensively in our "labs" (which is basically where you have a program and have to either fix problems with a program). There's labs where like 3/4 of the main Java file is the GUI code. Then, you may have to edit that GUI code, which is always a bitch.

At least that's how it is in Java. I don't have experience with programming GUIs in any of the C languages.

If you read all the documentation, it's not that hard to create GUIs in Java.
At least if you have an IDE, which can make things much easier.

Quote by Diamond Dave

because C is brilliant and evil. You probably think you know how a computer program works, but you don't. C will put hair on your chest and make all your other programming better.

Yep, **** that shit.

Having to spend 10 hours googling and reading man pages just to make a very simple functionality is not how I like to spend my afternoons :/

Yeah, I'm going with Java.
Easy to undestand, easy to implement, and most importantly has easily accessible and easy to understand documentation for everything!!!

I don't think I can stress that last point enough.
Quote by gonzaw

Easy to understand, easy to implement, and most importantly has easily accessible and easy to understand documentation for everything!!!

I don't think I can stress that last point enough.

The Java API documentation is pretty amazing.
Quote by Diamond Dave

LaTeX is awesome, learn it early and learn it well. Used it extensively throughout my honours year this year and should have used it more as an undergrad too.

I've been using it to write up my lab reports this year. First one took me a whole weekend to do. But, no matter how crap my lab report is, I'm always assured that it'll at least look beautiful. Ugh, speaking of lab reports, best be off to do one.

As far as I can tell, I can use LaTeX to an ok standard but obviously this is nowhere near its capabilities.
Last edited by conor-figgy at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by conor-figgy
I've been using it to write up my lab reports this year. First one took me a whole weekend to do. But, no matter how crap my lab report is, I'm always assured that it'll at least look beautiful. Ugh, speaking of lab reports, best be off to do one.

As far as I can tell, I can use LaTeX to an ok standard but obviously this is nowhere near its capabilities.

you slowly learn more and more things you can do with it, so I kind of maintain a template file with all the commands commented out.

having said that there aren't THAT many things that you need to do that often

the must-haves are definitely:
contents page
figures
tables
equations
lists
and bibtex for your references

^that last one is the holy grail if you're writing research reports believe me!
Quote by Diamond Dave
you slowly learn more and more things you can do with it, so I kind of maintain a template file with all the commands commented out.

having said that there aren't THAT many things that you need to do that often

the must-haves are definitely:
contents page
figures
tables
equations
lists
and bibtex for your references

^that last one is the holy grail if you're writing research reports believe me!

Agh yeah, I use them all for each report except bibtex. I may learn how to use that then.

Actually, do you know if it's possible to create your own template for each time LaTeX opens? I just find it tedious entering all of the below code every time I start a new report. It's not a lot but it'd be lovely to create a template with it already there.

\documentclass{report}

\usepackage[a4paper]{geometry}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\title{\textbf{Experiment "x" - "Experiment Title" - Lab Report}}
\author{Conor Byrne - 11338931}
\date{14/11/12}

\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents
\pagebreak
I was told to use LaTeX by my supervisor for my thesis, I've always used Word for report writing.

I downloaded the Windows program that runs it and everything, but still havent used it.

What's so special about it?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I tried using LaTex but meh, I was too lazy to learn all the details of it.
Also basically my project partner is the one that knows it and uses it so I don't really worry about it :P

Although when I have to work in a project with someone else other than him I kind of use a normal plain text document for reports >_> <_<
Quote by sfaune92

Is that some sort of random character creator or something? My brother extracted all the Asari names from Mass Effect and made an Asari name generator by using common beginnings and endings of names from the game.

Nah, it's more like a character sheet with a GUI with stat calculations and selectable skills, feats, and etc. There are plenty of random name generators, but not enough character creators.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
I was told to use LaTeX by my supervisor for my thesis, I've always used Word for report writing.

I downloaded the Windows program that runs it and everything, but still havent used it.

What's so special about it?

Well, in my opinion it makes beautiful documents without the effort of me formatting every last detail to look nice.

It's also fantastic for equation writing. Let's say I want to write out the wave equation, I trype the following:

\begin{equation}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}  = c^2 \nabla^2 u \end{equation}

which gives me:

which is far easier than working your way through the word equation box and then searching for symbols.

Some of the functions such as \tableofcontents are extremely handy as it'll automatically compile a table of contents from any time you make a new section, subsection, part etc. with \part{Your part title}, \section{Your section title} etc.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Going from a low level language to Python is scary. Who knows what's going on behind the curtains?

Your on the right track with Python. It is the easiest, and can do a lot.
the only language i know is html/css. i know a very small amount of java but to me its basically useless. gotta learn some javascript or something useful for the web atleast.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 6, 2012,
What's with all the hating on Matlab?

It's good for the maths
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Voted for my roommate. C++
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Page 3 of 3