I got a pretty simple question (after I saw that some Jags have a stop button on their trem):

Can you change tuning on the fly on a guitar with a vintage fender floating tremolo? Is any additional setting up required?
If the tremolo is flush with the body (doesn't float), then yes, it is possible. If the tremolo is set up to float, then changing tunings is a pain in the ass.
I have my trem about 1mm above the body and just tuning to drop D sends the whole thing out of whack.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Fender style trems are quite basic, so you shouldnt have miuch to worry about. Floyd style on the other hand is a whole different beast.
Quote by morbidguitar
Fender style trems are quite basic, so you shouldnt have miuch to worry about. Floyd style on the other hand is a whole different beast.

the principal of floating is the same on both trems and so is the issues when retuning. drop d with only a very tiny bit of pull up probably won't be an issue or at least all that noticeable. done with mine and really hasn't been to much of a problem
But if you use the "proximity" screw (the one that lessens the distance between trem and body) to lessen the distance to nothing and then lock it you can detune to your heart's desire right?