SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
I may be a noob on the forums, but not with guitar pickups. The dimarzio IBZ's in my Ibanez RG premium are not doing it for me. Not enough clarity. Can someone suggest a good pickup? My guitar only takes dimarzios (certain pickup mount). Im really looking for a nice distortion with plenty of clarity. Like Exodus, Megadeth, stuff like that. My guitar is a basswood body with quilted maple top, my amp is a peavey 3120.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
are you willing to rely on the amp for dirt (or hit it with an od boost pedal)?

if so, paf pros. super clear.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
Getting a od for the holidays (well, im asking for one). I heard the paf pros, they sound amazing!
ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Huh????

Since when did Ibanez only accept DiMarzios?

I've got an RG and I've DiMarzios, Duncans, Bare Knuckles, Lollars, Lace Sensors in before.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
lbj273
UG God
3,003 IQ
Klon
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh????

Since when did Ibanez only accept DiMarzios?

I've got an RG and I've DiMarzios, Duncans, Bare Knuckles, Lollars, Lace Sensors in before.

Long story.

Dimarzio's can go in most guitars because of the mounting ring being triangular. My guitar can only accept these triangular mountings.
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
crunchlab/liquifier combo or if you want extreme clarity go for the evos

ps. changing mounting rings isnt a major hassle. and they are pretty cheap too
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
Evo's are the way to go, the pickup EVERYTHING and they sound good for metal as well as having awesome cleans. If you want to focus more on metal but still have that clarity look into DActivators
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
tone zone/air norton (came on my Prestige 3550MZ)

crunchlab/liquifier (what is going on the 2570 once i get a 1XXX series and the pickups from the 2570 go in the 1XXX. those diamarzio/ibz pickups are much nicer than most every stock ibanez branded pickup. at least in the last ten years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
Evo's are the way to go, the pickup EVERYTHING and they sound good for metal as well as having awesome cleans. If you want to focus more on metal but still have that clarity look into DActivators

Actually the EVOs are too smooth for thrash... they sound rather neutered when what you want is to have big-hairy-balls in the audience's collective faces.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
Yeah, the evos sound pretty smooth, but i'm very happy about taking other suggestions.

I've heard d activator pickups are pretty good
SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408

What about d activator x's? I've heard those are pretty good. Also, do you know which evo is better? (evo or evo 2)
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
depends. i think i have an evo2 (by that i mean i bought a guitar with it already in it and haven't taken it out to check) and I'm not fussed on it, to be honest. though it does have a fairly thrashy rhythm tone, but it has nowhere near enough mids for my liking for leads and the like. It's ages since i've tried an evo so I really couldn't compare.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Quote by SlayerExoDeth
What about d activator x's? I've heard those are pretty good. Also, do you know which evo is better? (evo or evo 2)

Those are too hot, they're basically D Activators with the X2N's output. Had one and I felt you lose all playing dynamics.

I think the D Activators are nice choices. You could also look at the D Sonic or one of its variants for the bridge and maybe the Humbucker from Hell for the neck maybe?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually the EVOs are too smooth for thrash... they sound rather neutered when what you want is to have big-hairy-balls in the audience's collective faces.

A buddy of mine has an ibby with an EVO set in them and they sound awesome for thrash, its all in the amp. To each their own though i suppose. TS the x series D Activators are overkill, standard ones are more than enough.
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good
2,176 IQ
Super Distortion bridge. Get an air norton in the neck. It's basically a liquifire, just a bit more treble and its cheaper.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof. Loop 1 into ISP decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Super Distortion bridge. Get an air norton in the neck. It's basically a liquifire, just a bit more treble and its cheaper.

the super distortion sounds too tamed to my ears. i really like the air norton though.
Last edited by SlayerExoDeth at Dec 13, 2012,
SlayerExoDeth
133 IQ
im thinking either

bridge:

crunchlab

Evo vs Evo 2

D Activator

neck:

PAF pro

Air norton

D Activator neck