Page 3 of 3
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!
342 IQ
other than the fact that we were about 15 when it happened, my first band broke up for a load of reasons
the singer refused to project his voice
the guitar player was on an entirely different level than the rest of us, and he knew it
the drummer was older than the rest of us and went off to college
I wasn't interested in the genre of music we were playing

my last band broke up because it was a supergroup and supergroups hardly ever last
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
I'm just gonna go through and summarize all my band's existances from my time as an active musician. (2010-present)

Band #1 - Started by drummer and myself, I sang and played guitar. Brought on a friend to sing after a few months (at that point I didn't like singing much, now I fight to sing every chance I get ) Found a bassist and that went well for a month or so, then she convinced us to bring on another guitarist. That's where the problem started, the new guitarist only wanted to play clean guitar in a sludge/punk band I showed him how to use a spare distortion pedal we had around. He seemed ok with it at the time, only to later complain to the othersthat I was messing with his sound and telling him what to do, and the bassist decided she wanted me out and cited this as one of her reasons. The singer and drummer (who had been a close friend of mine for years) flat-out said they didn't want to be involved and let her kick me out because they needed a bassist or they would be back to square one anyway, and the band to broke up after the next practice because I was the primary songwriter and the other guitarist couldn't hold down the rhythm.

My feeling throughout that last month or so

Band #2 - prog-punk (yes, really) duo, me on guitar+vocals and a friend from tech school on piano/organ/synth/key-drums. Worked out great, had lots of fun writing, playing, and recording a demo. This is the most enjoyble band I've ever been in and probably ever will be in, Currently on hiatus, but we still manage to get together a couple times a year which will be a lot more often once I can afford a car. The keys player is honestly the best bandmate I have ever had: like-minded to me, open to experimentation and new songs, will happily play any cover, doesn't care what people think of our music and just enjoys playing it, and truly enjoys being a musician.

Band #3 - a previously established rock 5-piece I played bass in for 3-4 months. I got in with them because the drummer from band #1 had joined and he talked me into it. I had fun just playing bass and not being involved in the band politics/songwriting as much. Played a few shows (first band I was in that had gotten to playing live), made around $75 or so in the few months I was in it, but the band had started to show signs of dissolving. So talk between the singer and one guitar player of starting another band had started and they had wanted to involve me in it because they thought I was a good bassist and guitar player from the couple of times they had heard me play. Well that fucking backfired when their talk of starting a new band had come up during a practice and they set me up as their scapegoat so I got kicked out of the band and the drummer's house by his parents (I was 16 at the time, and we practiced in the drummer's parent's basement)

Band #3.5 - Skip to a few months to a year later, same band ^. Drummer and I have been friends a long time, so he convinced the rest of the band to give me a chance as a guitarist. The conspiring guitarist had left, they had found a new bassist and were now a guitar player short, so they decided to give me try. I learned all their songs in one night for a show the next day. Show went good, I got complimented by the band on how tight my playing was despite the circumstances. Last I hear from them for a week or so until I see that they had added a new member on their site/fb, a guitar player they had only had over to practice twice. A good chunk of my time and a ride to the venue wasted for nothing. They broke up about two months after the drummer quit.

Band #4 - My current band, Alt-rock. Drummer from #1 (dear jebus, when will I fucking learn? ), myself on guitar, and another guitarist, with me and drummer sharing vocals. This one has its ups and downs. Originally me and the drummer worked together on the band stuff but after we found a second guitarist, the drummer took over leadership. We've played some shows, made a demo with just me and the drummer, and this summer we made our self released debut album. There was a lot of tension because of the amount of time it took, the drummer has no patience whatsoever so he complained constantly. I did all of the engineering, producing, mixing, and mastering. I put a hell of a lot of my personal time into this project and the drummer complained about how long it took me the whole time. I'm not saying he didn't help at all; he found someone to do the artwork and did all the cd burning and assembly. But the constant verbal abuse and endless stream of texts asking how it was going and what I was doing at that very moment was absolutely unneeded. If we record again it will be at a studio or we will bring in a sound guy to record and find someone to mix it for us. I can't tell if this band is getting better and better or falling apart before my eyes.

Band #5 - me, myself, and I; My solo project. Acoustic and Electric folk meets punk/alt rock. This is where my songs that the drummer in #4 refuses to play (he's not a very reasonable person) I hope to work these into a band context when I can find some new people and hopefully get the keys player from #2 involved.

So, what have I learned?
-Personality and attitude mean more in a band setting than being super talented.
-If a band has had the same lineup for more than a year and it still isn't working, it's time to call it quits.
-Girl bass players may kick you out of your own band, there are cool ones out there if you look though.
-If you are repeatedly stabbed in the back by or have problems that resonate from the same bandmate, quit or kick them out and don't join any band they're in. Life is short, don't waste your time on assholes.
-Talking about leaving a band or forming another band without the whole band present is a good way to get curbed or framed.
-Don't get your head to close to a stage volume bass cab , your head will hurt for days.
-It's easier to keep track of people in a duo or trio than in a 5+ piece. Power groups tend to form in large band situations too.
-Don't let drummers sing, they tend to become power-drunk easily
-If you let a bandmate borrow something of yours for more than one practice, you probably won't ever see it again.

Learn from my experience, don't let people use you, and stay cool
donender
Get back to work
2,047 IQ
I'm currently in a band that's going pretty well, but here are a few reasons for previous bands breaking up-

1: No one could be bothered with it (on several occasions).

2: Everone was too busy.

Thought i would have more than that, but it turns out they are the main reasons that spring to mind.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Duce180
350 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
We had the same problem with our bassist, except for we needed him to tune to drop E. We now play without a bass guitar in our music.

Just to let you know, as a long time bass player, tuning to anything lower than drop d is a bitch. The lower gauge strings are more expensive.

My old band fell apart after the lead singer/guitarist got to many dui's and landed in jail. Haven't talked to him since.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
We had the same problem with our bassist, except for we needed him to tune to drop E. We now play without a bass guitar in our music.

Quote by Duce180
Just to let you know, as a long time bass player, tuning to anything lower than drop d is a bitch. The lower gauge strings are more expensive.

My old band fell apart after the lead singer/guitarist got to many dui's and landed in jail. Haven't talked to him since.

So, since tuning to drop tunings is hard for bassists, why not transpose the music to allow him/her to play it in either standard or Drop D? It's not that hard.
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Sounds like you left at the right time... did you have to perform with their care workers on stage, to stop them injuring themselves with their instruments?

Haha Yeah it was a pretty retarded moment in their overall history. The wounds are still a bit raw, but they manage to tolerate eachother now. I only ever played one gig with them, and because its doom metal I felt unco as, so the best option for me was to leave. My wife was happy with my decision because she thinks that whole crowd are "white trash" haha
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
630 IQ
They sold my drumkit for drug money.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Musicforyou17
I get bored
123 IQ
My first band was little more than me (drums) and my friend (guitar) playing covers. We just started our instruments and didn't know shit.

Second band was with a hippy kid in highschool that always talked about vietnam and how he was born in the wrong era. He made a list of about thirty cover songs for us to learn and that about ended that for me.

Third band was with guitarist from first band, this one was fun and could have been successful if not for the guitarist moving to Denver to escape hot particles. It was an alternative metal band and we had about nine originals done and an almost full band when he decided to call it quits and drop everything, he then joined a band with a lot more funds and experience while still living here. He showed them one of our songs to get in and I haven't played with him since.

My current band has the other guitarist from third band as well as another friend and my cousin. We haven't really started anything from a lack of space to practice but I have high hopes.
Drmckool
Self-proclaimed doctorate
2,739 IQ
One of the bands i was in I was kicked out and then the band was disbanded because I gave the singer/guitarist some harsh, yet honest criticism of a song he had just written that I didn't really like or want to play. Then once I had been kicked out they just kind of fell apart, since I did write a lot of the music and my basslines really drove the songs.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, since tuning to drop tunings is hard for bassists, why not transpose the music to allow him/her to play it in either standard or Drop D? It's not that hard.

The guy was kind of a moron. We didn't get rid of him because of not being able to get an octave below an 8 string. He just played the fourth string E when we needed E, but at the time only one part actually went down to the 8th string on guitar, and he had a different part anyway.

But at this point we've decided that if we really need bass parts, I'll just do them because I can easily play the needed E0 (which is a 4th lower than the lowest note on an 88 key piano by the way, and just below human hearing level, so the fundamental just sounds like rrrrrrrrr).
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
The guy was kind of a moron. We didn't get rid of him because of not being able to get an octave below an 8 string. He just played the fourth string E when we needed E, but at the time only one part actually went down to the 8th string on guitar, and he had a different part anyway.

But at this point we've decided that if we really need bass parts, I'll just do them because I can easily play the needed E0 (which is a 4th lower than the lowest note on an 88 key piano by the way, and just below human hearing level, so the fundamental just sounds like rrrrrrrrr).

So, it's just that one part? Then...um, cool. I'd get a bass player who knows how to transpose personally or (at least on recordings) have one of the guitar players play bass.

I personally bought a bass to use on my solo recordings, rather than have the bass be a "robot".
Yes, as mainly a guitar player, I am using a pick. (I already use really thick picks for guitar, 2.0mm.) But the perk is I can do more complicated basslines, rather than just strum out the root notes all the time. (I hate it when bassists just strum the root note 100% of the time; it's utterly boring and non-creative.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 12, 2012,
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,049 IQ
It never existed and so it never broke up
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, it's just that one part? Then...um, cool. I'd get a bass player who knows how to transpose personally or (at least on recordings) have one of the guitar players play bass.

I personally bought a bass to use on my solo recordings, rather than have the bass be a "robot".
Yes, as mainly a guitar player, I am using a pick. (I already use really thick picks for guitar, 2.0mm.) But the perk is I can do more complicated basslines, rather than just strum out the root notes all the time. (I hate it when bassists just strum the root note 100% of the time; it's utterly boring and non-creative.)

Well that song didn't need it, but not having a bassist means that we can play all the way down to E now and not have to worry. I might play bass parts on some of it, but not a ton. Maybe if we cover Stalingrad, I'd do bass. But that only goes down to B I think. And I'd have to sing too because my vocalist probably won't be able to get the words right because Русский.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
Well that song didn't need it, but not having a bassist means that we can play all the way down to E now and not have to worry. I might play bass parts on some of it, but not a ton. Maybe if we cover Stalingrad, I'd do bass. But that only goes down to B I think. And I'd have to sing too because my vocalist probably won't be able to get the words right because Русский.

Gah, you damn 8string guitar players and your crazyass tunings.

But yeah, I hear you. Out of curiousity, by "Drop E", what tuning do you mean? That's so low I can't really wrap my head around it.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
It's standard with the low F# dropped a step down to E, so EBEADGBE.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
loose bowels
You left me...
187 IQ
1st band: Everyone was too self-conscious so our singers wouldn't sing and generally got smashed the night before practice anyway. Plus we were only about 15 and only me and the drummer were that interested in being in a band.

2nd band: Everyone from the first band minus the drummer. One practice and that was it.

3rd band: One amazing practice, me on bass and keyboard, another guy on drums and guitar (not at the same time but it kind of worked) and third guy singing and playing acoustic. Just never found the time to do it again.

4th band: In 6th form, lots of people who could actually play, jamming was really fun but the mate we got to sing wasn't ever really that comfortable and mostly did it just to hang out.

All in all, none of my friends gave a shit, it was just a laugh.
OUT OF ORDER
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
It's standard with the low F# dropped a step down to E, so EBEADGBE.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. It also explains why your bass player wouldn't tune down to Drop E. Really though, he should have just gotten thicker strings and not been a baby about it.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ah, ok. That makes sense. It also explains why your bass player wouldn't tune down to Drop E. Really though, he should have just gotten thicker strings and not been a baby about it.

We were fine with him just having his 5 in B. We kicked him because he was a real knucklehead. But we wouldn't have really needed him to play down that low anyway.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Read this please.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Sex shouldn't get in the way, but by the end, there were so many hurt feelings and people ****ing, Purple Slinky, my band, became a place for kids to crash, get high and stuff... Plus all the sex. It's like, that all got in the way... And, half of us could play, and half couldn't, back then, and then there was me, band creator man, who, was stoned, flirting, not thinking to ****, just playing eight hour guitar solos because, it was my room, my band, my thing, it actually got awkward too, in the end, splitting the room money because, A; damages and clean up bill we actually got them, I paid for the room, could not afford the fine/bill to clean up the place or repair stuff and my Bassist, very graciously footed the bill for that one, the first time it happened -- AND -- He didn't even do ANYTHING to **** up the room. I may have had an heated conflict with a pizza in my hand and, there were pizzas but I did't even do anything (I didn't even buy the damn pizzas)! -- There were like ten of us B; Power struggle, and stuff and, what you say going on in the room and, then them making their own memberships, and stuff, so, that's how that all came about.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 12, 2012,
SilentOverseer
Overseer of Vault 101
149 IQ
Well my first real band disbanded pretty much because everyone was lazy except for me and another guy, and the drummer was a coke head. At least we went out with a bang opening up for some pretty popular bands (I See Stars). We just kind of parted ways I guess because all the clubs around here make it almost impossible for bands to play without paying them huge amounts of money.

I just found out today that my new band (we have been going for like 3 months) just broke up. Singer and drummer want to go onto new projects. We were going no where though and I honestly didnt even like it much....Still sucks though because now I am bandless again.

Hope 2013 brings me an awesome new band....
We are Eternal, All this Pain is just Illusion
Good_Lord
Rumble on
388 IQ
First band, we actually bought our first instruments and decided to start a band... that's how into guitar. We practiced our instruments intense for a year, we actually were ready to start something, plus found a beast drummer, but the vocalist absolutely wanted to do pig squeals and breakdowns, because he had recently discovered deathcore and mallcore.... which led to the band splitting because nobody wanted to play deathcore and nobody wanted to play in a band without him...

Second band, the drummer absolutely hated what we wanted to play he was exclusively into brutal old school death metal. I was vocalist and rhythm guitarist, had a beast lead guitarist and absolutely intense bassist. We will reform as soon as we find a good drummer, just because my two other bandmates hate practicing without a drummer.

Third band, was invited at a band practice where vocalist only shouted stupid things like '' whore s ! **** the police ! why not free will? '' Other guitarist basically had any idea where he was and why, bassist was too high to actually care about time and notes.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at Dec 12, 2012,
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
We were fine with him just having his 5 in B. We kicked him because he was a real knucklehead. But we wouldn't have really needed him to play down that low anyway.

Ah, welll...ok. I do support kicking out of all knuckleheads. I've had to work with a few myself, though never really in a band situation.

Mostly, in regards to music, I've had to deal with idiots who take their drinking/partying more seriously than forming a band. So, after figuring that out about them, I basically never formally made a band with any of them.
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890
first band, didn't break up b/c we all luv playing shitty punk songs in shitty basements too much. TOO TOUGH TO DIE, BABY.

1st band ftw