I just picked up a Boss DS-1 recently as my first pedal. It seems to go through batteries pretty quickly so I picked up a power supply from Radio Shack. When I power it with the power supply it has very noticeable noise when activated, when I just use the battery it is fine.

Is the "official" power supply any better? Do I need a surge protector with some sort of filter?
#9 Member of Alter bridge Rocks Club, PM Logz to join!
Not yet. It is currently in the socket next to the one my amp is in (same panel)
Do you have a tuner that will read off frequency? If the hum is 120Hz (close to a B2) then you are looking at poor filtering in the supply. If you have an android phone install gstrings, it should be able to tell you what it is. My guess is that it's just a cheaply made supply with crappy filtering and no regulation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Do you have a tuner that will read off frequency? If the hum is 120Hz (close to a B2) then you are looking at poor filtering in the supply. If you have an android phone install gstrings, it should be able to tell you what it is. My guess is that it's just a cheaply made supply with crappy filtering and no regulation.

i don't know where the OP is from but that would be 60hz in the states, right??? that would be a B1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Radioshack power supplies have piss poor filtering IME.
I mean REALLY PISS POOR filtering. Don't ever use them for effects.
Get something made for effects. Like a Visual Sound 1 Spot.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 10, 2012,
Quote by CodeMonk
Radioshack power supplies have piss poor filtering IME.
I mean REALLY PISS POOR filtering. Don't ever use them for effects.
Get something made for effects. Like a Visual Sound 1 Spot.

This, I had one way back when they hum like mother****ers.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Pick up a 1 spot. Cheap and has much better filtering.

Best bang for you $$
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 11, 2012,
i too bought a radio shack adapter and it is IMO un-usable.

+1 for a 1 spot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know where the OP is from but that would be 60hz in the states, right??? that would be a B1

Once rectified the frequency doubles to 120Hz (unless it's REALLY shitty and only half waved rectified). If it's 60 Hz it isn't poor filtering, it's interference from outside sources.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the tips. I'm returning the Radio Shack power supply and I ordered a Dunlop ECB003 made for pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
Once rectified the frequency doubles to 120Hz (unless it's REALLY shitty and only half waved rectified). If it's 60 Hz it isn't poor filtering, it's interference from outside sources.

interesting. the [faulty] reasoning is that the US is 120w and 60hz, and i know its different in different countries (IIRC 240V in some places in Europe) i didn't know if that was it.

but if it is doubling the frequency, where does the "60 cycle hum" come in?

just wanting to learn.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

60Hz hum is coming from shit induced from the mains which is 60Hz (there, 50Hz here). Once it passes through a full wave rectifier it turns into 120Hz. That's how you can be sure if the hum is coming from the DC supply. If it's 120Hz it's from after the rectifier, if it's 60Hz it's coming from before the rectifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yup, +1 to all suggested for a new power supply. Having a power supply with a noise suppressor is essential. It's amazing how much cheap power supplies can create noise.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
That's why I always build my own DC supplies. It's the only way I can be sure that everything is kosher. If I make it I can be certain there will be no audible 100Hz hum. The crap I've seen in a lot of commercially made DC supplies makes me want to
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's pretty much forced me to sell some stuff to afford an Iso power supply. I've been using a behringer PSA for about 5 years now.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
There's not much to a power supply. I started building them when I was 14 yo. LM317T - that's the ticket. You should give it a go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe. I'm not awful with a soldering iron, but I'm a terrible builder. Just looking around for a used ISO 5.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
You may be overestimating the complexity of a power supply. Not counting the transformer and case a well regulated single output DC supply is literally 4 components if you use a LM7809 and six if you use a LM317T.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmm. How much money are we talking here? If I could save myself well over $100 I'll consider it. Ideally I'd like something isolated, but I've never encountered problems with a daisy chain. I would like to mount it on my pedalboard though.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Unless you have a really long pedal train or a cantankerous pedal (like a PNP Fuzz Face) isolated outputs are overated to hell.
How much current are you drawing?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Need to re-count everything, but my El Cap sucks up quite a bit. It would never be more than 600mA at most.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well, a LM7809 would be adequate for that. They'll source up to 1 amp. Give me a minute and I'll do an itemised pricing at Jaycar prices. I won't include the case, I'll leave that side of it to you. You may be able to just bend up something yourself to fit directly onto your board. That side of things is up to you.
I'm still waking up so be patient.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

I'll probably grab a fair sized one if I was going to do this, I got a pedaltrain mount.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Post in WTLT Cath.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
7809 - $1.50
1A Bridge - $0.95
4700uF electrolytic - $2.50 (this is more than enough to keep the ripple above what's needed by the 7809)
1uF Tantalum - $0.60 (optional, I often leave it out)
10VA 12V transformer - $16

You'll also want a piece of veroboard. Just bolt the 7809 to a lump of metal for heatsinking - like the case.

So $21.55

With that transformer you should be able to pull 830 mA out of it safely.

Oops. Already posted it. Well others may want to see how badly they are being ripped off with their shitty little supplies. That's at Jaycar prices in Australia - so hit ebay and you could probably halve that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification