Page 2 of 2
Slashiepie
Banged
492 IQ
Bring back Liam
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation
3,873 IQ
Every single bit of music ever created has soul in it, in some form or another. Its not whether or not they created it with soul in mind, its how it makes YOU feel.

Even if its 32nd notes at 1000BPM, if I like the progression or it inspires something within me, then it has soul.

If something hits you internally, it doesn't matter what the original intent was.

And if you claim something doesn't have soul, it does. You're just incapable of interpreting it.
Banjocal
UG's only only
1,174 IQ
technical skill means absolutely nothing if a person cannot do something creative or original with it. obviously thats down to an individual but genericism is bad to me at least. technical genericism (many tech metal ripoffs/jazz virtuosos) is outright offensive. A truly great musician can in theory be technically rudimentary but creatively excellent. oppositely a terrible musician can be technically amazing, but creatively, a jar of pickles. rotten pickles.

with nasty cheap vingear
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Every single bit of music ever created has soul in it, in some form or another.

Let's see if you still say this after I autotune my toilet taking a pounding
Banjocal
UG's only only
1,174 IQ
Quote by z4twenny
i cant remember who did it but it has been done. some album of manipulated recordings of defecation/excretion
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
Quote by TommyGunUk
Rightey-o, first thread ever.

People constantly talk about how shredding take much less skill than it does to play slowly. For instance, i saw a few videos of people playing covers of songs by Yngwie Malmsteen, as i plan on learning it for part of my studies. A recurring comment consisted basically of "Good technique, not enough soul". Typically, the soul in a person's playing for me would be their facial expressions (obviously) and the amount of vibrato and feel they have for the instrument, and how comfortable and natural the player looks when they play. These people play magnificently and display many if not all of these skills. And the same comment-ers criticise the players themselves, despite their skill and obvious familiarity with the instrument.

Am i missing something here?

those people are idiots. speed has nothing to do with "soul". you either feel what you play or you don't.

what they should be saying is that it doesn't make THEM feel anything as a listener. one cannot gauge how much feeling someone is playing with. that, or it's an excuse. they can't play what the shredder can play so they use "soul" as a cop out as to why they don't practice more or take the time to work on technique.

that being said, some people over do it. and usually in my opinion, malmsteen tends to over play a tad. it bores me pretty quick. but that's just my personal feelings. i do actually think he plays with a lot of feeling. personally, i don't think you can make music of any kind without putting emotion into it of some kind. obviously playing that way makes him feel a certain way so that's why he does it.

in short, the listener creates the emotion they are feeling when they listen. notes don't contain "soul".
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Dec 17, 2012,
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
notes don't contain "soul".

C# does
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
what is that and why is it awesome?
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation
3,873 IQ
Quote by z4twenny

If it evokes any kind of emotion in someone it has soul, even if its of utter disgust or anger.

Its not about what the musician intended, its how someone can possibly interpret it.

Vivaldi wrote large portions of his works in extremely mechanical manners. Perhaps when he was writing them, he just wanted to get his damn commission, giving no shits about the context of the music as long as it worked.

Despite this, I can listen to a dozen bars of a descending second sequence and get emotion out of it.

Any type of emotion that is invoked from the music is soul. It doesn't matter if the composer intended it or not.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
i think the idea of 'soul' in music can go get fucked
all it does is create inane arguments on the internet
which always go in the same direction
who gives a fuck if 'soul' comes from the player
who gives a fuck if 'soul' is in the ear of the beholder
such a stupid thing to argue about, leave that nonesense to the cesspits of youtube comments sections
iSouLeZz
222 IQ
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If it evokes any kind of emotion in someone it has soul, even if its of utter disgust or anger.

Its not about what the musician intended, its how someone can possibly interpret it.

Vivaldi wrote large portions of his works in extremely mechanical manners. Perhaps when he was writing them, he just wanted to get his damn commission, giving no shits about the context of the music as long as it worked.

Despite this, I can listen to a dozen bars of a descending second sequence and get emotion out of it.

Any type of emotion that is invoked from the music is soul. It doesn't matter if the composer intended it or not.

I agree dude..

Well put..
Someone could not give a shit about a piece, and a listener could feel whatever just by listening.

Maybe music has a soul, and none of us do.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
i clearly didn't say 'fuck' enough in that post...
iSouLeZz
222 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
i clearly didn't say 'fuck' enough in that post...

Haha nah dude. You hit the nail dead-on.
It's really ****ing dumb and pointless to argue or compare..

It would still help to say it a couple more times though
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by iSouLeZz

It would still help to say it a couple more times though

nah

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckmethfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfucWaldofuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckduckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfucksausagesfuckfuckeggplantfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfWaldockfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckgandalfkfuckficryevrytimfuck

Last edited by Hydra150 at Dec 17, 2012,
iSouLeZz
222 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
nah

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckmethfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckduckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfucksausagesfuckfuckeggplantfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckjellouckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckgandalfkfuckficryevrytimfuck

LMFAO.

Hey man, it's like music.
I feel the soul in your words.

It got the point across, thats fer sure. haha
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation
3,873 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
nah

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckmethfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfucWaldofuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfWaldockfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckgandalfkfuckficryevrytimfuck

I lol'ed

But I would agree that arguing about it is pretty worthless.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
Quote by z4twenny

We're talking "soul" here... not "soil".....

I miss Liam too... Merry Xmas if you are lurking, mate!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.