netgeist
76 IQ
I'm trying to improve my ability to play arpeggios and arpeggiated chords and I've seen some conflicting information out there. So I thought I'd come here for advice.

I've always held a chord shape with my fretting hand when playing. I'm also seeing a lot of people doing arpeggios by running their fingers through a shape - much like someone might play scales.

Is there a right or wrong way to fret arpeggios and arpeggiated chords? Is it best to learn both ways?

Thanks,

- netgeist
Sickz
Jazz Musician
1,594 IQ
Nope, fret the way that is most comfortable to you. Just make you sure you can arpeggiate properly so every note sounds one by one and the notes doesn't ring out.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by Sickz
Nope, fret the way that is most comfortable to you. Just make you sure you can arpeggiate properly so every note sounds one by one and the notes doesn't ring out.

^
This

The "correct" way is the way which allows you to make the fewest mistakes at the highest speed with the most comfort.
netgeist
76 IQ
OK...that was what I hoped to find because I still struggle mightily with barre chords and when I need/want to do arpeggios with that chord, I want to fret them like a scale until I get better with barres.

Thanks,

- netgeist
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by netgeist
OK...that was what I hoped to find because I still struggle mightily with barre chords and when I need/want to do arpeggios with that chord, I want to fret them like a scale until I get better with barres.

Thanks,

- netgeist

That's a passable strategy, but be sure to practice barre chords. They are super important if you want to play any chords besides power chords and open chords.
t1mman
411 IQ
It also depends if you want to let the strings ring or not...