Nervouspace
443 IQ
I've used several different mic placements, different takes, fiddled with my amp a whole bunch. I've been recording day and night for the last couple days it seems

They just are not pleasing to listen to let alone mix...

I am using these mics

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-990-991-recording-microphone-package

and this preamp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-mic-preamp

through my line 6 ux1
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Well, other than the fact that both those mics are absolute shit in my eyes, clips would be nice
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
Well, other than the fact that both those mics are absolute shit in my eyes, clips would be nice

Fair comment on the MXL or whatever mic, but ART gear is fairly well regarded.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by Wesbanez
but ART gear is fairly well regarded.

That's not what I hear. I hear that their pre-amps are considered more lighting than actually useful gear.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I don't see the issue with these clips if I'm honest...

The acoustic is a little lifeless perhaps, but not so much so that it's salvageable.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
First clip is fine, second clip can use more high end

Quote by Wesbanez
Fair comment on the MXL or whatever mic, but ART gear is fairly well regarded.

Not the cheap stuff, the MP's hardly utilize the tube & have cheap components. You can change the tube & some of the components out and its decent but at that point, you're turning a $30 preamp into a $30 pre with $60 worth of mods. Of course, its probably better than the UX1 pres which are cheap as hell.
Last edited by lockwolf at Dec 14, 2012,
Nervouspace
443 IQ
Well they sound like shit in my song and I blame the clips because I haven't eq'd or done anything but try to mix them

The UX1 what's???
Last edited by Nervouspace at Dec 14, 2012,
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by Nervouspace
Well they sound like shit in my song and I blame the clips because I haven't eq'd or done anything but try to mix them

Okay, now this brings about another question, give us clips of it in your song if you've got some ready.
Nervouspace
443 IQ
Okay I posted it on there just called "them with the songs" ignore the pad for the first one.. i just threw it right there.

Are you talking about the UX1 pre amplifier? It hard does anything at all.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Have you eq'd any of the track? The clips sound find and the source material is the most important part. It could be that you've not eq'd the rest of the track enough to make space for everything?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
God, those drums sound terrible. Anyways, mess around with levels & EQ like chem said
Nervouspace
443 IQ
Hmm. I guess I could be working backwards...I kept trying to eq the guitars to everything else.

Drums, pads, ect. I guess I should of been trying to eq them to the guitar tracks?

@lockwolf

I know! I have yet to find good drum samples I can work with...

and please answer my question about the UX1 thing....X(
Last edited by Nervouspace at Dec 14, 2012,
funkymonk1985
Funykmonk1985
89 IQ
i always find that the best tone comes from the start - what guitar and amp are you using?

the electric clean sound is a bit muddy around the bass notes - i would guess you're using a mid range humbucker like ibanez or epiphone?

also, what amp are you using and how loud? i find the dynamics of all sound recorded changes MASSIVELY depending on how loud youre playing ' especially if youre using valve amps.
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by Nervouspace
@lockwolf

I know! I have yet to find good drum samples I can work with...

and please answer my question about the UX1 thing....X(

What I mean by Preamps are the inputs on the UX1. They're known to be muddy and unclear (especially DI'd guitar). The Tube Pre is going to help but its not going to help as much as a new interface.

As far as drum samples, look into getting Steven Slate Drums. Best drums out there, especially for the price
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist
684 IQ
The piano sounds WAY too trebly and far back; it doesn't even sound like it's in the same room as the rest of the instruments.

As for the electric guitars...I almost get the sense that you had your mic several feet back or something. Generally you want a dynamic mic no more than an inch back from the grill cloth of your amp. If you're already doing that, turn up the volume of your amp. Get it nice and close; you can always push it back artificially later. Frankly I'm surprised no one's pointed that out yet.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
That piano is REALLY weird sounding. It's all off to the sides.

Yeah, I'd get something like (the very commonly used) SM57 for recording your amp. They're a classic for a reason - they sound quite good on guitars and snares (and even some voices, believe it or not - I believe Robert Plant uses them in studio).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
That piano is REALLY weird sounding. It's all off to the sides.

Yeah, I'd get something like (the very commonly used) SM57 for recording your amp. They're a classic for a reason - they sound quite good on guitars and snares (and even some voices, believe it or not - I believe Robert Plant uses them in studio).

This kind of statement should always be prefaced with something like "but it probably WON'T sound good for your voice".

Yes the sm57/58 sounds good with some peoples voices, but you're nearly always gonna be better off with a LDC.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
This kind of statement should always be prefaced with something like "but it probably WON'T sound good for your voice".

Yes the sm57/58 sounds good with some peoples voices, but you're nearly always gonna be better off with a LDC.

This is true. Forgot to add that caveat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Crap amp, crap mic, crap technique, crap production. There's your problem.

But how do we fix it? For starters I'd do the electric guitars direct into the UX1 using amp sim software. Either Pod Farm that came with it, or the free version of Amplitube 3*. I don't know whether your Crate is one of their nicer amps or not, but neither of those mics is particularly good for miking cabs anyway.

The acoustic just needs to be a little brighter. It sounds like you're miking everything at a distance, so close in.
Start with the 991 about 10 inches from the 12th fret, pointed slightly in toward the soundhole. If it sounds too thin, aim it more towards the body of the guitar. Too bassy, aim it towards the neck.

* Yes, yes, I know LePou etc are better but I'm trying to keep things simple!