hi there!
i have a simple question,
if i play the B note and bend it 1/2 step,i will get C..
what if ill bend it 1/4 step?

thanks
Something in between. We have no names for microtonal stuff in our music theory.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I'd say either B# or Cb depending on how wrong you wish to be.

Well, not at all actually. B# and Cb exist, B# has the same pitch as C and Cb has the same pitch as B. Cb would exist in GbM/Ebm and CbM/Abm and B# would exist in F#M/D#m and C#M/A#m.

Microtonal bends like the ones TS is talking about don't have names in Western Music, but are used a lot in Oriental Music.
You get B quarter sharp (give or take), quarters tones do exist.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Dec 19, 2012,
Quote by amit190
hi there!
i have a simple question,
if i play the B note and bend it 1/2 step,i will get C..
what if ill bend it 1/4 step?

thanks

Quarter steps are great if you want a bluesy sound.
To add: A quarter sharp is notated in music by the same # symbol, except with only one vertical line.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
B half-sharp or C half-flat.

i advise you not to use them unless you're going for a dissonant sound -- unless, of course, your harmony already incorporates quarter tones, and you'll find that western music doesn't really allow for that very cleanly, so you'll need to adopt other thought processes. personally i'm not fond of harmony utilizing quarter tones.

as mdc pointed out, they're actually great for a bluesy sound. there are records of blues pianists playing two notes a half step away simultaneously because the note they're after is somewhere in between.

and sometimes in composing, i'll have a melody sketch in my head and occasionally, when i can't seem to write it down, i'll play through it and i'll discover that one of the notes isn't quite an E, but isn't quite an F, either.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by jebbe9696
Something in between. We have no names for microtonal stuff in our music theory.

Yes we do, quarter sharps, quarter flats, 3/4 sharps and 3/4 flats.
Quote by griffRG7321
Yes we do, quarter sharps, quarter flats, 3/4 sharps and 3/4 flats.

i think you mean half sharps/flats, and sharp and a half/flat and a half.

sharp = raised a semitone, so half sharp = raised one quarter-tone.
TS, believe it or not, this is actually a much better and more interesting question than a lot of questions that go through here.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by AeolianWolf
i think you mean half sharps/flats, and sharp and a half/flat and a half.

sharp = raised a semitone, so half sharp = raised one quarter-tone.

Not in the UK bro.

I know it doesn't make sense. but that's the system used.
Quote by griffRG7321
Not in the UK bro.

I know it doesn't make sense. but that's the system used.

how interesting...in america, we use a different system, and it does make sense.

hmm, i wonder which i'm going to to use?
Well, I mean, I've never heard anyone say something like "C half sharp." That just sounds weird and confusing. It's a bit longer, but way clearer to say C quarter tone sharp, or quarter tone flat B or whatever.
I've always assumed "quarter sharp" to be synonymous with "quarter-step sharp." I don't really know why, but half sharp does just sound weird.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
i've seen both used, but i far more often encounter half sharp (or alternatively, quarter-step sharp).
A few words of the building to Buy Runescape Gold Lord although simple, but summarized briefly, one expresses our bitterness still think many year not soluble and several important the root of the problem. The original poster is the lamp of the community, building Lord compare to the direction of the community, building Lord compare to the pillars of the community. Have the building Lord Diablo 3 Gold at, community tomorrow will be better!
Yeah, we're also akin to the 1/4 and 3/4 sharp. Probably because the English came and raped us a few hundred years ago. I also think the only nice thing in panmin's post is the mention of Diablo!!!
Quote by panmin
A few words of the building to Buy Runescape Gold Lord although simple, but summarized briefly, one expresses our bitterness still think many year not soluble and several important the root of the problem. The original poster is the lamp of the community, building Lord compare to the direction of the community, building Lord compare to the pillars of the community. Have the building Lord Diablo 3 Gold at, community tomorrow will be better!

Been reading some Immanual Kant, have we?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
hold it hold it hold it i ****ed up lol. went back to the resources i had and looked it up.

half a flat or half a sharp is called a "demiflat" and a "demisharp", respectively.

what you call a 3/4 flat or 3/4 sharp is "flat-and-a-half" and "sharp-and-a-half" respectively.

that's what i'm sticking with. "C sharp and a half" and "C demiflat" make more sense to me than "C 3/4 sharp" and "C 1/4 flat".
A # is half way between two notes a tone apart

We'll call that 'half sharp'

Now 1/4 sharp and 3/4 sharp make sense.
Quote by griffRG7321
A # is half way between two notes a tone apart

We'll call that 'half sharp'

Now 1/4 sharp and 3/4 sharp make sense.

read that again and you'll see why it doesn't.
You Can't Silence Me
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.