nedthehead
1,763 IQ
My Tele has two dead frets. 18th and 19th, but only on the high e string. It's starting to bother me a little bit. I've attempted to raise the action, but it's definitely a fret issue. Taking it in is kind of a last resort effort, so what would be the best practice of going about resolving this issue?
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Take a fret file and a crowning tool to level them. Not the sort of thing you can do at home without special tools though.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
1,387 IQ
I leveled some high frets using the advice given in this video. I had a dead fret and two that were fretting out when bending.

I followed the steps in this video, and the issue was fixed. I had high frets so it's pretty easy to fix, lower the (in my case 3) high frets. Low frets is a different ball game you either have to lower all the other frets to the same level or put a new fret in.
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Well; there is a difference between a high fret and a dead fret. High frets can be fixed with a fret leveling job. But if the fret is "dead," that is to say, it is worn out, then you need to replace that fret. If you are going for a re-fret job, you might consider using stainless steel frets. Those suckers last for ages and they make string bending a lot smoother.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
1,387 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; there is a difference between a high fret and a dead fret. High frets can be fixed with a fret leveling job. But if the fret is "dead," that is to say, it is worn out, then you need to replace that fret. If you are going for a re-fret job, you might consider using stainless steel frets. Those suckers last for ages and they make string bending a lot smoother.

My mistake.

In my case the 16th fret was too high so when I played the 15th fret it made no sound, which is why I referred to it as dead.
krimsonguitar
10 IQ
FYI, before you start leveling frets you have to make sure that they are seated. Sometimes just seating the frets will get rid of those high spots that are dead.