I am currently playing with my guitar in drop C tuning (CGCFAD). I want to play C Dorian (starting from 3rd fret) over the chords C5th, F5th, D#5th, G5th. I know this is fine theoretically. But when playing the C Dorian scale (starting from the 3rd fret) over these chords, is it okay to also play open C on the thickest string over any of these chords?
What is the quality of the third in C Dorian?
What is the quality of the third in an open C?
Quote by GirlGerms
I have no idea if I am honest, I know very little theory. :/

Then don't start with modes. Start with basic chord construction and harmony
You chord sequence is I IV iii V (I'm assuming you mean Eb when you say D#, yes they're the same pitch, but they imply something theoretically different)

as you only state 5ths you have the notes: C-G, F-C, Eb-Bb, G-D. In ascending order from C: C D Eb F G Bb. These notes all fall within the "normal" minor scale. Adding the word Dorian makes no intuitive sense in this scenario, in fact there's no A or Ab so it's seems unlikely that the melody would have Dorian tonality at all.

Also - tuning makes no difference to theory...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by z4twenny
Then don't start with modes. Start with basic chord construction and harmony

So... this is exactly what you should be doing TS, this, and only this right now.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by GirlGerms
I have no idea if I am honest, I know very little theory. :/

Then why are you throwing around terms like "Dorian?"

I actually misunderstood your question (my apologies) but in any event, your lack of theory knowledge is the real problem here. You want a theoretical answer to a question that you have no background to understand.

Go to musictheory.net and start working through the lessons.
Quote by HotspurJr

Go to musictheory.net and start working through the lessons.

+1334ou35u342y5u23453

from the beginning.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
As has already been said, forget about modes. Until you learn some more theory and chord construction and gain an incredible understanding of at least the major scale, modes are pretty much useless.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
The most important question is, do you like how it sounds? Forget about what is "right" because there is no right or wrong in music.

I listened to the sound clip and honestly couldn't tell the melody apart from the chords. It didn't really have the best flow, but I couldn't hear anything blatantly "wrong" about it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Having a theoretical standing is not going to do you much good if you can't hear anything. It sounds like you do not know what it is going to sound like (evident by you asking if there is any "clashing" in your notes). My 2 cents are to, as you work your way through the music theory website, train your ear.
A perfect fifth is a sound, as well as a concept.
Quote by doive
You chord sequence is I IV iii V (I'm assuming you mean Eb when you say D#, yes they're the same pitch, but they imply something theoretically different)

as you only state 5ths you have the notes: C-G, F-C, Eb-Bb, G-D. In ascending order from C: C D Eb F G Bb. These notes all fall within the "normal" minor scale. Adding the word Dorian makes no intuitive sense in this scenario, in fact there's no A or Ab so it's seems unlikely that the melody would have Dorian tonality at all.

Also - tuning makes no difference to theory...

The F5 chord can be major or minor. And if the TS wants it to be major, then he has to play a major sixth (A) over it (C dorian scale). And I would write the chord progression like this: i-IV-III-v (assuming that TS wants the F5 chord to be a major chord). (Major chords with caps.)

And TS, the scale is all over the neck. C dorian scale has notes C D Eb F G A Bb. You can play them in any position you want. And you can use whatever notes you want. It's "theoretically" correct to use all the 12 notes over all of the chords if you want. But not all of the notes might sound good over the chords. Always play the sound you are after. If you want it to have that "dorian flavour", as some people say, then use notes in C dorian scale. And don't just play randomly. Listen to the backing track (chords, rhythms, sounds) and try to find a melody that fits it well.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 21, 2012,