Page 2 of 2
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game
798 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, it is.

I almost made a thread about it a few months ago.

Well lookie there.

Jay ya should have used the Almost Searchbar, bud

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by SteveHouse
Well lookie there.

Jay ya should have used the Almost Searchbar, bud

ik, right
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Diamond Dave
1,428 IQ
Quote by bradulator
ever heard of Bill Nye? better than any British scientist

you need to get out more.

but so do I if I really feel the need to entertain you like this... but for the record if you really want to talk about American TV hosts, Julius Sumner Miller >>>>> Bill Nye
WaterGod
BernieBro
541 IQ
Quote by bradulator

My whole childhood is in that man.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by bradulator

****ing god
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
That was from the gravity episode right?

Watch them name it something totally retarded like fuddly wumpersteen.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Dan_5893
Interdit
1,405 IQ
Old news, the idea has been around for ages. One of my university lecturers' main areas of research has been this for the last 10 years.

Also I find it entertaining that suddenly everyone is an expert on thermodynamics and chemical kinetics by reading this article.
metal4eva_22
PonyFan #376121
890 IQ
there's just one small complication: So far scientists haven't been able to prove that the process generates more energy than it requires.

Good luck proving all of thermodynamics wrong.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by whywefight
Is there any way to make this efficient?

Yeah.
The technique requires electricity for its chemical conversions, but if you can provide that with solar power, wind power or hydro power, (which are all free once the fittings are in place) then theoreticaly the process becomes very efficient.
EndTheRapture51
pretentious wank
8,588 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah.
The technique requires electricity for its chemical conversions, but if you can provide that with solar power, wind power or hydro power, (which are all free once the fittings are in place) then theoreticaly the process becomes very efficient.

Yeah this is the point of it, finally someone gets it!!

We'll need a process like this when the oil runs out if we don't have widely used efficient electric car technology so we can like drive places.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah this is the point of it, finally someone gets it!!

We'll need a process like this when the oil runs out if we don't have widely used efficient electric car technology so we can like drive places.

And the good thing about it is that any carbon emmissions from use of the fuel will have originated from the air it was made from and simply released back into the same air again, so it's actualy carbon emission nutral. (doesn't place back into the atmosphere any more carbon than it removed to make the fuel)

So what's taken so long?

Well, the efficiency of turning solar, wind and hydro energy into electricity wasn't as good 30 years ago as it is now, so now it's a much more feasable option than it was back then.

This is something that often happens in science and industry, people come up with what looks like workable theories for better ways of doing things but we often have to wait for technology to improve in certain fields before we can begin to implement them.

Take the space elevator or 'skylift' for example. Currently it costs us a massive amount in fuel to get just a relatively small amount of anything (including people) off the ground and high enough to escape earths gravity and go into space. The more weight you have to lift, the more fuel you need to lift it, so you need to take more fuel with you. And the more fuel you need to take with you, the more it weighs, so you need more fuel to lift the fuel you have to take with you, it's a bit of a vicious circle really. But theoreticaly you could have a cabal tethered at one end to the earth and at the other end to a satelite in space which could then be used to permit vehicle transport along the cable from our planetary surface directly into space or orbit. The main problem so far though is that it would require a cable made of a material far stronger than any material that we have thus far been able to produce, but as technology in this particular field continues to improve it seems likely that this will one day be possible and space exploration will suddenly become much cheaper.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 21, 2012,
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by bradulator

mhm, I bet none of the British scientists on that list even have a theme song. Or if they do it's some terrible Muse song or something.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah.

Legit, we need gas and oil like combustibles, not solar panels full of local energy.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by garden of grey
Legit, we need gas and oil like combustibles, not solar panels full of local energy.

Precisely, electrical cars are all very nice, but sending electricity via wires to homes so that people can charge their car batteries is actualy expensive because a certain amount of voltage is lost in the process for every mile it has to travel, so making a fuel from the air, which is free, using electricity generated using free energy, probably works out to be a more efficient
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by bradulator
'British scientists' is an oxymoron.

Sorry we'll take all our inventions back then.

Including your computer and your internet.

Thanks.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Diamond Dave
1,428 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

Thanks.

Don't open that can of worms, Americans try to claim the internet, just like Albert Einstein
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

Thanks.

Al Gore isn't British.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Diamond Dave
Don't open that can of worms, Americans try to claim the internet, just like Albert Einstein

That's OK, we invented 'America' (and Australia too incidently) so anything they (or you) claim to be theirs (or yours) naturaly comes back to us anyway.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 21, 2012,
Sir-Shredalot
Banned
3,918 IQ
saw this dude on bbc news a while back. invented in a shed with the odd cup of tea and hob nob.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Al Gore isn't British.

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by metal4eva_22

Good luck proving all of thermodynamics wrong.

you don't have to "prove all of thermodynamics wrong"

this isn't about generating energy. we can already do that pretty well. it's about storing energy, which has always been challenging.
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Al Gore isn't British.

It's ok we can just let them think they have done something worthwhile so they leave us alone, it's how we've done in the last 500 years. They thrive on their mythological sense of pride.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by bradulator
It's ok we can just let them think they have done something worthwhile so they leave us alone, it's how we've done in the last 500 years. They thrive on their mythological sense of pride.

On the 4th of July this year, America was only 236 years old.

So on top of claiming to have invented everything, they're exaggerating the age of their country too.

Crofty89
I came here to rock
727 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath

So on top of claiming to have invented everything, they're exaggerating the age of their country too.

I suspect he's trolling.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,049 IQ
This should have been the major news yesterday, not the end of the world bullcrap.
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
2,486 IQ
Quote by magnus_maximus
Protip: it wouldn't, because of E=mc^2. You could create more energy than you put in at the cost of mass.

Noob.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Protip: it wouldn't, because of E=mc^2.
Quote by magnus_maximus
E=mc^2
Quote by magnus_maximus
c
This could be an issue.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Dan_5893
Interdit
1,405 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Remember it like it was yesterday?