gui8tar
522 IQ
I am looking to a buy a new amp. I was talking with a friend and he told me he never plays digital effects threw a tube amp. He says he uses a PA system for digital. I have a line 6 pod XT witch has a large range of amp models and effects. Would it be a bad idea to buy a tube amp to use along side with my pod Xt?
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,810 IQ
Don't see why it would be....
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
e-taubs
182 IQ
It really depends on your setup and what you're trying to do.

It may be complicated to do. I don't know how big the venues you play are but you would have a POD running direct alongside a tube amp. You would need an AB box to switch between the amp and the POD and if your PA isn't large (where the drums, bass and other guitar and/or keyboards are going through it) it may be hard to control.

Seeing as how a POD emulates different tube amps what amp are you thinking of getting? My gut feeling is it would be more of a headache then it's worth. As with all things, YMMV.
xxunder-takerxx
The UT
1,349 IQ
through and along side are very different, so what are you trying to do?

if you want to use the amp models in the pod, you can go from guitar->pod->effects loop RETURN in the amp. this will use the pod as the source of the sound and just the amp as a speaker (this would ALMOST defeat the purpose of a new amp, but there are a few complex methods of utilizing both).
the other option is turn the amp modeling off on the pod, and just use it as a digital effects chain in the effects loop of the amp. i dont have an XT but most pods have a BYPASS option for amp model. this wont create any amp emulation, just use the effects you have set.

hope this helps.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
gui8tar
522 IQ
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
through and along side are very different, so what are you trying to do?

if you want to use the amp models in the pod, you can go from guitar->pod->effects loop RETURN in the amp. this will use the pod as the source of the sound and just the amp as a speaker (this would ALMOST defeat the purpose of a new amp, but there are a few complex methods of utilizing both).
the other option is turn the amp modeling off on the pod, and just use it as a digital effects chain in the effects loop of the amp. i dont have an XT but most pods have a BYPASS option for amp model. this wont create any amp emulation, just use the effects you have set.

hope this helps.

Do you think it would be worth getting a tube amp to run the pod xt with it? Obviously I will be using the amp models. I can turn the amp models off and just use the effects. As well as bypass. The amp would probably be set to clean while using it along side with the podxt. Are their any difference between clean tube amps vs clean analog?
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
What you need is a Tech21 Powerengine. It is a 1x12 or 2x12 powered guitar cab that is designed for preamps like POD/11rack. MF is blowing them out right now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
e-taubs
182 IQ
Years ago Line 6 (or somebody) made box that looked like a guitar amp but your POD dropped right in the top of it. It was basically a power amp and some speakers. Maybe something like that would help.

I wouldn't use a POD live if I had a decent amp, YMMV.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,474 IQ
If you are going to use amp models, I would buy an amp that doesn't color my tone (keyboard amp or plug straight to PA). Buying a tube amp for that purpose would be waste of money. And I think you would end up using the tube amp only.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
gui8tar
522 IQ
Quote by e-taubs
Years ago Line 6 (or somebody) made box that looked like a guitar amp but your POD dropped right in the top of it. It was basically a power amp and some speakers. Maybe something like that would help.

I wouldn't use a POD live if I had a decent amp, YMMV.

Yea atomic amps, they do not make them any more and the only place i can find one is ebay. I would like to test it before i buy it so its not a option.
Doadman
Tab Contributor
2,504 IQ
It depends on the multi-fx unit. I use a Digitech RP1000 with my Blackstar HT60 valve amp and it works fine but then, the RP1000 is designed to integrate into a valve amp and I'm not sure the XT is. I use it almost exclusively for effects because the amp models just aren't as good as a real valve amp and I find the amp models a lot better than on a Line 6!! No modeller will match the tone of a decent valve amp so buy a valve amp on the assumption it's the amp that will be your core tone. I use amp models on just two songs in our set because I'm after something very particular but that's all or you could get a great high gain amp like the Peavey 6505+ and use the amp models for your clean tones. Either way, most times it's best just to use it for effects.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,474 IQ
Quote by Doadman
It depends on the multi-fx unit. I use a Digitech RP1000 with my Blackstar HT60 valve amp and it works fine but then, the RP1000 is designed to integrate into a valve amp and I'm not sure the XT is. I use it almost exclusively for effects because the amp models just aren't as good as a real valve amp and I find the amp models a lot better than on a Line 6!! No modeller will match the tone of a decent valve amp so buy a valve amp on the assumption it's the amp that will be your core tone. I use amp models on just two songs in our set because I'm after something very particular but that's all or you could get a great high gain amp like the Peavey 6505+ and use the amp models for your clean tones. Either way, most times it's best just to use it for effects.

My Digitech RP355, even bypassed, makes my amp sound digital. The clean sound becomes really dull. So I don't use it with my amp, I only use it with headphones. Do a test, plug your guitar straight to your amp and then plug in your multi FX bypassed. You might notice that it sucks tone. I'm not sure about RP1000 but at least the RP355 clearly sucks tone.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
danvwman
91 IQ
my old set up marshall 9000pre amp>digitech 256xl>65' Fender Bandmaster(tube) and a Lab series L3(ss) for the stereo side. Worked kick ass. Sounded freaking awesome.
What the hell!!!
mattrusso
615 IQ
I would have to side with your friend there, although not completely. A multi effects unit like that is basically gonna monopolize your tone and take away most of your amp's character. It's not that it'll sound worse through a tube amp than a solid state amp, but it's just a waste of good tone. Why would you spend money on an amp that you like the tone of when you're gonna plug in an effects unit that completely changes the tone?

You don't need to buy another amp or PA or whatever to run your POD into. It won't sound bad through a good tube amp, (assuming the amp is on clean and has a reasonable amount of headroom) but if you're gonna use the POD all the time, there's no reason to buy a really nice amp.

That being said, some digital effects won't mess with it too much. Digital delay is pretty unobtrusive, for example. Digital distortion/overdrive, though, will pretty much kill your amp's tone. However, from what I understand, most multi effects units force you to mold your whole sound (including amp modeling) from the pedal as opposed to just adding effects to your amp's sound.

The best option, if you can afford it, is to buy an amp you like the sound of, figure out what effects you actually like and use on the POD, and buy individual pedal versions of them instead of using the POD through the amp.