Why do basses come in super short scale and normal scale? Are the short basses like toys compared to the long ones? Kiddie basses?
Shorties have a different feel, and a different tone. They also (typically) have a thinner gauge of string. Thinner necks, which feel faster to me.

I recently had to switch to short scales, and I can tell you there is a world of difference.

Check this post and you can hear my Mustang bass.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30799432&postcount=4
Not great quality but you should still be able to hear the difference.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Different tones come out of shorter scale basses. They're generally easier to play for people with smaller hands, as well.
Quote by FrozenNile
Different tones come out of shorter scale basses. They're generally easier to play for people with smaller hands, as well.

yes, but not a requirement if you have smaller hands.

I own a dano short scale and I bought it for the tone.
Anarkee is right, proper technique was developed to allow 99.99% people of different hand sizes to play the bass efficiently and not injure their hands.

A different scale is just a different beast. With both pros and cons. Different sound and feeling.
coming from someone that plays five and six strings, I can be very biased and say that I prefer long scale to help with the lower tunings and on a slightly less important note, you get more bass for your money. And do not be put off big instruments if you have small hands, just look at Sarah Longfield. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsdI-I0v5o
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
WELCOME to the wonderful world of bass I started on a long scale bass went to short and back to long and have both right now.