Page 2 of 2
Spwee1494
778 IQ
Quote by godgrinder
I had a TS7 and it was somewhat useable as well. But might as well just get the Joyo TS clone like Dave Mc said, those things are actually fairly decent.

I saw Iron Lung last week and the guitarist was using some Marshall rack thing, looks like the 9004 since it was quite shallow.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-Ultimate-Overdrive-featuring-components/dp/B005M0CK9M
one of these?
Quote by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
godgrinder
414 IQ
Quote by Spwee1494

That's a clone of the Fulltone OCD, could do the job as well, it has more volume/gain than the Tubescreamer. I have an OCD and I like it more than Tubescreamers for boost.

This one is the Tubescreamer clone:
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-01-Vintage-Overdrive-Quality/dp/B004FEGXDK/ref=pd_cp_MI_0
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ funnily enough i prefer the tubescreamer as a boost- the joyo ocd clone doesn't cut the bass enough for my liking. though the joyo one doesn't have masses of level on tap (though i only use mine as a lead boost, i use a dano timmy clone for my "always on" boost).
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

godgrinder
414 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
though the joyo one doesn't have masses of level on tap

Interesting, so they are not exact clones? Haven't actually tried the Joyo one, I only have the Fulltone one.

I always prefer OD/boost pedals with lots of volume since the first 2 amps I bought (the Holden and the JCM800) are either a clean amp or on the mid/low gain side so I need to slam them pretty hard at the front. Had a TS7 and borrowed my mate's Maxon OD808 and those are not enough for me gain wise...
qvplite
UG Newbie
55 IQ
My recommendation: VOX NT50. Replace the V1 12AX7 with a Mesa or Tung-Sol; then get rid of the horrible EL34's that come stock with the thing and put in some Ruby Tubes or Mullards.

My NT50 is sounding incredible right now going through my 1960A JCM900, and I play the same genre as you my friend. A lot of hard, deep rock stuff where I need complete saturation, but also clarity of each string throughout all the rough chords and parts. This does the trick, and the only possible upgrade I could see would be a Mesa Dual Rec.

You can see a picture of my rig in this article I did on the 1960A cab a month or two ago. It'll also teach you how to upgrade the cruddy plastic handles on the side and put on real metal ones for serious stage/road use.

I'd be interested to hear a recording of your 1960A, by the way. Mine has 4x G12T-75's, whereas yours has the V-30's and G12T-100's, which is an interesting combo. When I was at NAMM last weekend I was frothing over their new Creambacks and the Blue Alnicos , which are really awesome. In the meantime, though, the G12T-75's are doing me well.

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by godgrinder
Interesting, so they are not exact clones? Haven't actually tried the Joyo one, I only have the Fulltone one.

oh i think it is (or close enough, anyway). It's ages since i've tried a "real" tubescreamer, they may not have tons of level on tap, either

i think my biyang (also a modded clone) had more level on tap, though.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

godgrinder
414 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i think it is (or close enough, anyway). It's ages since i've tried a "real" tubescreamer, they may not have tons of level on tap, either

i think my biyang (also a modded clone) had more level on tap, though.

Ah yeah my bad, for some reason I read your post as saying the Joyo OCD doesn't have much level on tap, just realized that you were talking about the Joyo TS
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah i was talking about the tubescreamer clone, sorry
Quote by classicrocker01

BoneAndDream
568 IQ
6505. do eet.

i got mine 2 weeks ago and haven't been happier

i play tech death and melodic death, and a wee bit of core. this thing nails it. I'm sure it would work great in your case
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
Last edited by BoneAndDream at Feb 10, 2013,
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
the 6505 doesn't have a whole lot of "bite" to it. Super-heavy, but not what I think of when I think of "bite".

TS, look into an ASG Hybris! Perfect!
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by qvplite
My recommendation: VOX NT50. Replace the V1 12AX7 with a Mesa or Tung-Sol; then get rid of the horrible EL34's that come stock with the thing and put in some Ruby Tubes or Mullards.

My NT50 is sounding incredible right now going through my 1960A JCM900, and I play the same genre as you my friend. A lot of hard, deep rock stuff where I need complete saturation, but also clarity of each string throughout all the rough chords and parts. This does the trick, and the only possible upgrade I could see would be a Mesa Dual Rec.

You can see a picture of my rig in this article I did on the 1960A cab a month or two ago. It'll also teach you how to upgrade the cruddy plastic handles on the side and put on real metal ones for serious stage/road use.

I'd be interested to hear a recording of your 1960A, by the way. Mine has 4x G12T-75's, whereas yours has the V-30's and G12T-100's, which is an interesting combo. When I was at NAMM last weekend I was frothing over their new Creambacks and the Blue Alnicos , which are really awesome. In the meantime, though, the G12T-75's are doing me well.

If I recall correctly, ruby's are just rebrands of different tubes and can be hit or miss. I recommend JJ tubes personally, fair price, and good quality.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Spwee1494
778 IQ
(Invalid img)
Just got it and its all good to go! I sample the sound of it sometime this weekend for you guys to hear. spent less then a grand for this whole setup (minus the guitar, of course)
Quote by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
This is so odd. Starting out with a cab and buying head to match.

It's like you bought a leather jacket and now you need a motorcycle to go with it.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 22, 2013,
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tonz in dem cabs bitch

Got chon zpeks? What impenitence Ohmz?
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
Quote by kyle62
You kids and your crazy pseudo-genres

This.
I've never heard of power violence before. If you could provide a band name it would be helpful. Please?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Feb 22, 2013,
Deadpool_25
1,596 IQ
Quote by Maineguitarist
This.
I've never heard of power violence before. If you could provide a band name it would be helpful. Please?

See page 1
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Spwee1494
778 IQ
Quote by Maineguitarist
This.

just realized youtube broke a few of the vids. here's some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg5P-O4yf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ8GOOeknY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kOxURCO9I

Power violence bands to look at to start:
Classics: Infest, Despise You, No Comment.
Modern: Get Destroyed, Magrudergrind, Water Torture

Power violence simplified: fast as balls hardcore that stops on a dime and tempo changes are sporadic. Usually insanely distorted bass guitar (if there even is one) and generally songs are wayyyyy short. Noisy, lots of bite and pissed off. Also riffs. Riffs everywhere.
Quote by recklessnick
Spwee1494
778 IQ
Quote by Viban
Where the hell are all of your mids boy?

in the guitar, or in general?
Quote by recklessnick
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
Quote by Spwee1494
just realized youtube broke a few of the vids. here's some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg5P-O4yf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ8GOOeknY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kOxURCO9I

Power violence bands to look at to start:
Classics: Infest, Despise You, No Comment.
Modern: Get Destroyed, Magrudergrind, Water Torture

Power violence simplified: fast as balls hardcore that stops on a dime and tempo changes are sporadic. Usually insanely distorted bass guitar (if there even is one) and generally songs are wayyyyy short. Noisy, lots of bite and pissed off. Also riffs. Riffs everywhere.

Ah I see. What you need to do is get a good clean amp and a Boss Metal Zone and Compressor.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

l3p4rd
ponx
259 IQ
I like the song, I feel like you're missing something on your EQ as well. Maybe it's just the way you recorded? Overall it sounds like the kind of tone I would like for PV as well, I like the grit you have going on.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Spwee1494
778 IQ
Quote by l3p4rd
I like the song, I feel like you're missing something on your EQ as well. Maybe it's just the way you recorded? Overall it sounds like the kind of tone I would like for PV as well, I like the grit you have going on.

the guitar was the only thing with no sort of after thought editing. 100% amp. Maybe i should at least put a little eq on it? I'll play around with it, but for the most part, i'm pretty happy with the mix.
Quote by recklessnick
Spwee1494
778 IQ
Quote by l3p4rd

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7571192/PlasticExistence001.mp3

i think i fixed the problem, but i'm probably not going to post about it anymore in here to prevent this from being locked.
Quote by recklessnick