RonaldPoe
3,437 IQ
Excuse me guys, what scale would you use with the chord progression; C Am F G? I'm new here and despite playing guitar for almost 3 years, I don't really know. For the record I was trying to transcribe/Solo over The Red Zone (Insane Black Remix), found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLwExa7ZrDY. Please respond, thanks.
AvengedReno
UG's only Cypriot user
461 IQ
I just found this great program where you input the chords in a progression and it suggests scales that go with it and vice versa. I tried it and it said C major or A natural minor. Would you like the link for the page?
RonaldPoe
3,437 IQ
Thanks guys, but I kinda figured this out by searching on google. I find Am (the relative minor of C major) works best. My guitar teach taught me that the progression was C Am F G. Anyway how would you solo/cover that?

Thanks again.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
This Sound like the harmonies pull towards A as the tonic, so the key is A minor.
As for scales, don't limit yourself to the A minor scale. All 12 tones can be hit. Try making lines with the other 5 notes as well. I find a good way to do this is to do little chromatic walks.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
the chromatic scale
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
That progression is in the key of C major, not Am. To solo, use the C major scale. Feel free to add outside notes as well.

I also suggest to learn theory so you don't have to depend on the Internet. Those scale programs are at best a crutch to your understanding and at worst gives you the completely wrong impression about chords, scales and keys. The link in my sig is a good place to start.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Dec 31, 2012,
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2
That progression is in the key of C major, not Am. To solo, use the C major scale. Feel free to add outside notes as well.

also this

it may as well be a I IV V I, cmon guys get yer heads in the game
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2

Really? It doesn't sound like C vaj to me, more like A finer.
Well, different strokes for different folks

Quote by Hail
also this

it may as well be a I IV V I, cmon guys get yer heads in the game

Doesn't sound like it resolves to C though.
Last edited by macashmack at Dec 31, 2012,
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by macashmack
Really? It doesn't sound like C vaj to me, more like A finer.
Well, different strokes for different folks

I honestly have no idea why you think that. The G at the end really cements C as the tonic.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2
I honestly have no idea why you think that. The G at the end really cements C as the tonic.

I don't know it just sounds overall minor to me
Maybe cause i've been transcribing the downtown abby theme which is in Am and that note is in my head like a malignant tumor

Shit I feel like an idiot the key is E minor those chords are wrong.
Last edited by macashmack at Dec 31, 2012,
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Am

that note

you're killin me here kid

what does that even mean, it sounds minor. there's literally a dominant->tonic relationship how could it possibly, what
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by Hail
Am

that note

you're killin me here kid

what does that even mean, it sounds minor. there's literally a dominant->tonic relationship how could it possibly, what

I was wrong, it's not Am. But it ain't no C major.
It sounds like E minor.
RonaldPoe
3,437 IQ
Thanks for your tips, I think I'll finally get around to learning C Major scale. How do you solo with scales or transcribe this anyway? Sorry for these noob questions, I'm just curious. To the guy who said I need to learn music theory, I know plenty but not how to apply it. Also I was using A Minor Pentatonic for this (I learned to play it in multiple positions) for this and sorry for rambling. Thanks for the advice.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
How does this piece sound lie C major to you? It doesn't sound like c major at all it opens with an Eminor chord then goes to a G major them an A major and back to the E minor
Also happy new year everyone
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Oh. I get it now. I was just answering the first question regarding the C Am F G progression. But after finding a better video I get what you're saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F9qYPErRUA

Yeah, the chords in song are Em G A, then eventually goes to Em C D G. This uses the E minor scale. Then it goes to an E minor chord (still E minor scale), modulates up to G minor (now use the G minor scale). Then the second progression comes in again, then end with a modulation to F minor (F minor scale).

MUSIC THEORY LINK
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Oh i see. It's my fault cause in the beginning i was saying that it was A minor so you guys thought i was talking about the C am F G prog. and I was actually talking about the piece but i was wrong anyway because it's in E minor thus the wackiness.
RonaldPoe
3,437 IQ
Thanks for the advice, now I should learn different positions for E minor. Anyway I wanted to transcribe that video, not the original.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Iits clearly cmaj. The progression ends with the dominant chord (5th in the scale), wich resolves to c.

In the progression that TS wrote in the question title, yes it is obviously a I-vi-IV-V prog. in C maj. But in the video embedded is a i-III-IV prog. in Em, then it modulates.
TS said that he/she wanted to solo over that song, so i was saying that using C major was not the scale to use (His/her guitar teacher said that the song was a I-vi-IV-V in Cmaj - i don't understand how the teacher got that...)
I must admit that for the first few of my posts I sounded like a complete and utter ****ing moron
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by macashmack
TS said that he/she wanted to solo over that song, so i was saying that using C major was not the scale to use (His/her guitar teacher said that the song was a I-vi-IV-V in Cmaj - i

I'm gonna take stab in the dark and guess that...

Ronald is a "he".
NickBech
38 IQ
Quote by RonaldPoe
Thanks for the advice, now I should learn different positions for E minor. Anyway I wanted to transcribe that video, not the original.

E minor is just the positions for A minor pushed 5 frets up the fretboard. (Fret 5 in A -> Fret 0 in E) And the same goes for any other scale, just move it around according the intervals from scales you already know.

Also, remember that 3 semitones up from the minor root, you'll find the parallel major. This means that if you're playing a song in G major, you can use the notes of the E minor scale. (And C major for A minor, and so on...) Only you'll find it more natural to revolve your melodies around G, instead of E.
"We are a metal band. Metal is brutal, metal vocals are brutal. I want some coffee."