I'm forming a band and we want to call it the name of a popular character in a video game series. Is there any chance of this name being 'copyrighted' (would the gaming company even bother copyrighting a name like that?) Any chance we can get in any shit for this?

I know it's kind of hard to answer without the actual name. But it's not like a main character if that helps.
The Silph Concept
To be honest, just go for it.

There are tons of bands who are named after characters (Atreyu and Aiden being two examples. Cant think of any bands that I actually listen to though XD)

Its also only going to be an issue if your band becomes big.

Best of luck to you anyway
Quote by killerkev321
I dont think you can copyright a name of a character

Probably not Mario for example, but I think Zelda and Solid Snake are both singularly recognizable.
Last edited by Jacques-Henri at Jan 2, 2013,
Quote by Jacques-Henri
Probably not Mario for example, but I think Zelda and Solid Snake are both singularly recognizable.

Wait, what are you saying the difference is between Mario and Zelda/Solid Snake? They're all incredibly popular video game characters.
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

Quote by Obder
Wait, what are you saying the difference is between Mario and Zelda/Solid Snake? They're all incredibly popular video game characters.

I think he's saying that Mario is actually a name, whereas you're unlikely to meet someone named Solid Snake or Zelda. Like I couldn't copyright 'Steve' but I could possibly copyright "Earle Squirrelson"
Quote by Telecaster7
I think he's saying that Mario is actually a name, whereas you're unlikely to meet someone named Solid Snake or Zelda. Like I couldn't copyright 'Steve' but I could possibly copyright "Earle Squirrelson"

There's lots of people called Zelda, also before the games. Your point is still good, though.
Quote by Telecaster7
"Earle Squirrelson"

That'll be the name of my first child. Freakin' awesome.
Quote by EmilGD
There's lots of people called Zelda, also before the games. Your point is still good, though.

Zelda Fitzgerald! F. Scott's wife
Hey guys, I checked out that thread and it helped alot! I think because we wouldn't be in the same 'market' as the game, we're in the clear. Thanks a heap.
The Silph Concept
Last edited by Rustee at Jan 2, 2013,