I play mostly new rock/alternative like pearl jam, three days grace, seether etc but I do like to play a variety of music. I have it narrowed down to two amps...the EVH 5150 III 50 watt and the Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 36. Does anyone have any experiance with either amp? The one think I like about the tubemeister is that is can be switched to 18,5 and 1 watt plus it has reverb. I have not had a chance to play either amp. I have herd really good things about the EVH, nothing about the tubemeister good or bad. I question how the gain is on the tubemeister. I know the evh amps have killer amounts of gain and the clean channel is supposed to be amazing as well.
From what I have read the 5150 III is pretty cool little amp. Shared EQ between 2 channels.

Free bump.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I wouldn't really recommend either, but the EVH blowsH&K away.

Check your Craigslist for a Mesa Dual Rectifier. That's what's ideal for those tones

I'm assuming you have a cab already?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I do need cleans but also I need distortion. I live north of Pittsburgh. I do have a cab. I have a marshall 1936
The 5153 is a great amp. I would take that over the TM36 any day.
Quote by ihartfood

Nice hunting

But I didn't know Pearl Jam used Dual Recs. The bands listed seemed more like Marshall to me but I honestly wouldn't know. If that were the case I'd go for the 5153.

Yes, there were quite a few DSLs on there that would work, a JCM 800 2204, a Budda Superdrive, a Mesa DC3, a Laney GH100, a Mesa Mark II, and such.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=amp&srchType=A&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=500&maxAsk=1200
Just grab a Mark IV or something. I've never played one, but I know a Mark V can do just about everything that I'll ever need, and I'm guessing the IV is similar.

By the way, the power soak on the TM36 is nothing to put it over the EVH. The EVH sounds great at extremely low volumes (even to the point that you have to put your ear up to the speaker).

Also, I'm pretty sure the 5153 has 3 channels. I think two channels (clean and crunch) share one eq while the overdrive channel has its own. Not sure how it'll handle Three Days Grace though. I didn't spend too much time with it when I had a chance.
Last edited by RStrat at Jan 4, 2013,
Quote by RStrat
Not sure how it'll handle Three Days Grace though. I didn't spend too much time with it when I had a chance.

Why is that? (to both comments)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

But I didn't know Pearl Jam used Dual Recs.

nooooo! haha over mike's dead body I bet, give the man a JCM800 and a bassman and I doubt he'd ever need another amp.
I meant they're go-to for 3DG and seether stuff, my bad.
Last edited by ihartfood at Jan 4, 2013,
Pretty much the same as any other high gain amp's cleans. Okay, useable if you EQ it well. It's a far cry from a DR/Twin, but unless you're dropping ~$3K on a high gainer you're not going to get that anyway.

Cheapest amp to nail your dirty tones and get good cleans is probably the Mesa Roadster... I don't think I've ever seen one under $1200 though. Even that's low for what they are.

The 5153 probably has better cleans, but the Dual Rec absolutely nails that alt metal (3DG, Seether etc.) tone. Triple Rec would actually be a little better, but IMO not worth the cost of having 2 more tubes, unless you're making a fair amount of bank so it's not an issue.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 4, 2013,
yeah as a whole i would say the EVH isa better amp.

wattage is more about headroom if you need the extra 14 watts, but 36 is still a decent amount.

i would be more concerned with how it sounds turned down and how easy the knobs are with to play in your house. some amps volume quickly tapers and gets loud, kinda like a 1 - 10 scenario.

i specifically remember trying to buying something 5-20 watts and ended up with my 40 watt tweaker for bedroom playing. i find it quite good at low volumes.

i do not need 40 watts. i probably dont even need 15.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
yeah it's a pain to set up, but once you get it there it's a killer amp. took me about 45 minutes to EQ one decently in a store and I probably could have kept. tweaking.
ok, I didn't see it listed on mesa's website. I figured an amp with this many features had to be midi.
Quote by awdxtc
Why is that? (to both comments)

I didn't spend too much time with it because I had places to go and wanted to try some other amps too. I tried out a 5153, 5153 mini, JCM 800 KK, Vox Night Train, and some others. I spent most of the time on the 5153's though.

Not sure why I didn't try out maxed out gain, but I mostly stayed on clean and mid-gain. It can get a killer lead tone by the way. Thinking about it now, I'm sure it can get more than enough gain for 3 Days Grace.

Here's a video if you want to see the gain capabilities of the 5153:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4SgG9RmZg

By the way, what's your budget? If you can get a Mark V, I'd go with that. But it does cost 2x as much. It's not that complex, but it takes time to EQ a good sound.

By the way, I'm 99% sure Mark V can be used with midi. And I know for a fact that the 5153 can too.