Page 2 of 2
This shit isn't gonna work. Good luck to you man, but I just don't think it would be healthy to live like this.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
If I still feel like I'm on the verge of passing out after ten days, I'll call it quits. Mostly because by then, I'll have classes to care for. But if I feel like I'm getting into the cycle, I'll continue. At the very least, this could be an interesting experiment. I doubt it'll get to the point where I just up and die(though it very well could. In that case, you get an internet cookie of 'Told you so'. Kudos.). I messed up the morning naps, and I've been skipping the day nap (because today I was with friends, and the day before I was taking care of some yardwork for my grandparents, and couldn't find time to drop a 30 minute nap in there somewhere. Oh well. If you're going to mess up, might as well do it early, right?)

From here on, I'll be stricter with the regimen. Like one of the fine posters here said, I'm forcing my body to enter directly into REM sleep(protip, that's the one that's important.). By doing this, I'll be maximizing the time I spend in REM, as well as gaining six waking hours. If I make it through this week, then that would be very cool. If it works, then that would be even cooler. If it doesn't, then I'll just resume my normal sleep schedule, and within a week or so, I'll be back to normal. In the meantime, granola bars and fruit for after I just wake up, washed down with a nice cup of coffee. I'll have to be pretty strict with myself about caffeine intake. Usually I make a big pot, and drink that when I wake up, and I make several other pots throughout the day. Over these past few days alone, I've cut drastically into my caffeine intake. I should probably make a chart (For science), and in the meantime, I will continue adding to my sleep journal.

Next post in 1.5 hours.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
I'd be into this if I didn't think being wrapped up all warm and snuggly in a bed for 8-10 hours is one of the simplest and greatest pleasures of life. Sleep is 1/3rd of you life, you should enjoy it.
This reminds me of diets that completely exclude carbohydrates, for some reason.
Quote by Crazymike100
This schedule is called the 'Dymaxion Sleep Cycle', and it was invented by Buckminster Fuller, who reportedly kept this schedule for two years(or more).

Question.
If this sleep schedule is so great, why didn't Buckminster Fuller (whoever the hell he is) keep it up permanently?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 4, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Question.
If this sleep schedule is so great, why didn't Buckminster Fuller (whoever the hell he is) keep it up permanently?

Exactly the thought I had.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Question.

Apparently it conflicted with the sleep cycles of his business associates (ie. normal people)

Going off for a 30 minute nap every now and then seems fairly inconvenient but to be honest it's sounds like he quit because it was making him insane.
That's crazy, mike.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I thought about doing this a while back.

But what the hell would I do through the night?
I'd get bored out of my bloody skull.
I've read about various sleeping patterns like this. The one you are considering is awfy extreme, you won't keep it up for long. There are less extreme ways to get a shorter nights sleep and hopefully feel more productive during the day.

http://www.fluentin3months.com/siestas/
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
There's a rumour that Leonardo Da Vinci did something similar, napping for short periods of time and working pretty much around the clock which is apparently what made him so prolific, because he spent more time in every 24 hours awake than most people do.

But the rumour apparently originates with Dr. Claudio Stampi, the founder (in 1997), director and sole proprietor of the Chronobiology Research Institute which he runs from his home in Newton, Massachusetts. But it is unknown how Stampi came to this conclusion because no credible sources with any notes on Leonardo's sleeping habits have ever been found.
Infact, quite the contrary, Leonardo is quoted as saying "As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death" which hints at a normal monophasic sleeping pattern with sleep taken at the end of the day.
More so, the Italian writer Matteo Bandello's (1480 – 1562) report on da Vinci's work on 'The Last Supper' said that Leonardo would work 'continuously' from dawn to dusk, often forgetting about food and drink. I think it's fair to say that if Bandello found his eating habits amazing enough to write about it, he would definitely have reported the round-the-clock work of a polyphasic sleeper as even more amazing.
It also seems strange that a man like Leonardo would sleep in this fashion so that he could work around the clock in an era which either had natural sunlight or candle light. For an artist, sunlight is definately superior to candlelight.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 4, 2013,
I think you may well die.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
lol, sugar and caffeine to keep awake
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
ive read about this, it's interesting but i cant see it working out very well for me with my sleeping problems. also i have school and friends
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jan 4, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Question.

It is unsociable, which is particularly bad if you're a business person.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The recommended minimum is 8 hours, 6 at the least. 6 hours of sleep during the week followed by 8 hours over weekends sounds more of a fair deal imho and easily managable without resorting to sleep deprivation or bottles of red bull just to make it through the day.

Water is also essential when it comes to staying awake during the day. Nettle tea, peppermint tea, fresh water, or orange squash all helps. Being somewhat of a night-owl I've gotten use to whats good for me and what's plain rubbish.
Quote by Metallumz
The recommended minimum is 8 hours, 6 at the least. 6 hours of sleep during the week followed by 8 hours over weekends sounds more of a fair deal imho and easily managable without resorting to sleep deprivation or bottles of red bull just to make it through the day.

Water is also essential when it comes to staying awake during the day. Nettle tea, peppermint tea, fresh water, or orange squash all helps. Being somewhat of a night-owl I've gotten use to whats good for me and what's plain rubbish.

The 8 hours number is now generally accepted to have come from flawed studies. Poor samples, such as Truckers and Shift Workers, were included.

One can rather easily reduce the amount of sleep needed to 7.5 or 6 hours without experiencing daytime drowsiness provided that the sleep takes place at roughly the same time each night. It is circadian rhythms that are more important than amount of sleep in how tired you will feel. If sleep is regular the brain can adjust and get more Stage 3 & 4 sleep; essentially it sleeps more efficiently.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Polyphasic sleep is legit, but one of the leading researchers (claudio Stampi) who covered this stated that this is only really for people in extreme situations. Soldiers, for instance, who are in a day-long firefight might take shifts, since it beats total sleep deprivation.

This sort of sleep is NOT for normal people in normal conditions.
So I guess he failed it then...
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The 8 hours number is now generally accepted to have come from flawed studies. Poor samples, such as Truckers and Shift Workers, were included.

One can rather easily reduce the amount of sleep needed to 7.5 or 6 hours without experiencing daytime drowsiness provided that the sleep takes place at roughly the same time each night. It is circadian rhythms that are more important than amount of sleep in how tired you will feel. If sleep is regular the brain can adjust and get more Stage 3 & 4 sleep; essentially it sleeps more efficiently.

Screw that; I keep my brain guessing.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

*kramer

my thoughts exactly
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Quote by eGraham
Hmm.

1. Crazymike
2. "Sam"
3. ???
4. Crazysam
5. ???
6. Profit unlikely

Don't associate me with this weirdass motherfucker!
Page 2 of 2