Page 2 of 2
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0

Also, just in case, make sure no matter what the case here that you are using a quality speaker cable. It's worth parting with the extra money for one with a lifetime warranty that isn't going to fart out anytime soon. It's THE MOST important cable in your rig. Having it fail means having your OT in your amp fail, which is the most expensive component to have replaced.

Can you link me to a decent speaker cable? I'v got a shitty $10 cable but what you just said made way too much sense to me.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by KrymsinViking
Can you link me to a decent speaker cable? I'v got a shitty $10 cable but what you just said made way too much sense to me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-standard-s-100-1-4--1-4-speaker-cable

You can spend more if you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I would get this instead. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-14-gauge-speaker-cable/331141000000103

Regular jacks you can screw off and repair if you want to, not to mention lifetime warranty no questions asked. I don't care for Monster as a company, way overpriced crap.

Not to mention that that Live Wire is actually a better cable - 14 gauge instead of 16.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
I would get this instead. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-14-gauge-speaker-cable/331141000000103

Regular jacks you can screw off and repair if you want to, not to mention lifetime warranty no questions asked. I don't care for Monster as a company, way overpriced crap.

Not to mention that that Live Wire is actually a better cable - 14 gauge instead of 16.

I'v got Live Wire instrument cables and actually like them pretty well. I'm confused though 14 gauge is superior to 16? would 12 be better still?
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Yep. The lower the gauge, the higher the quality.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by KrymsinViking
I'v got Live Wire instrument cables and actually like them pretty well. I'm confused though 14 gauge is superior to 16? would 12 be better still?

It would be able to handle more power/ have less voltage drop.

Personally I like cables that I can unscrew and resolder when needed.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Yours is 10 feet? That's ridiculous, you only need 3 unless you're running across a stage or using a full stack.

12 gauge should be better, yes, but it is Musician's Friend brand... that might mean something

I do use some MF gear, but usually not anything electrically sensitive.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
Quote by Viban
It would be able to handle more power/ have less voltage drop.

Personally I like cables that I can unscrew and resolder when needed.

Yeah, 10ft was the shortest they had of that brand. I figured extra wouldn't really hurt anyways.

Quote by Offworld92
Yours is 10 feet? That's ridiculous, you only need 3 unless you're running across a stage or using a full stack.

12 gauge should be better, yes, but it is Musician's Friend brand... that might mean something

yeah that's kinda what had put me off on it in the first place. that and $1:1ft ratio seems fishy now that i'm seeing some of the others.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by KrymsinViking
Yeah, 10ft was the shortest they had of that brand. I figured extra wouldn't really hurt anyways.

yeah that's kinda what had put me off on it in the first place. that and $1:1ft ratio seems fishy now that i'm seeing some of the others.

Monster cable doesn't hit that ration until you go over 50 feet, lol
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Offworld92

Absolutely right on keeping it shorter. 3 feet for a head on top of a cab is plenty.

That was just an example. Nothing wrong with monster either. 10 bucks for that cable, lifetime warranty. I have had a bunch of them going on 7 years without a single issue.

Gauge number has nothing to do with quality. It's the diameter of the wire. 12 is smaller than 10. 14 is smaller than 12 and so on.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 6, 2013,
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by R45VT
Absolutely right on keeping it shorter. 3 feet for a head on top of a cab is plenty.

That was just an example. Nothing wrong with monster either. 10 bucks for that cable, lifetime warranty. I have had a bunch of them going on 7 years without a single issue.

Gauge number has nothing to do with quality. It's the diameter of the wire. 12 is smaller than 10. 14 is smaller than 12 and so on.

It has nothing to do with quality, but it will increase how much power can be run through it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Viban
It has nothing to do with quality, but it will increase how much power can be run through it.

It sure can. Does not mean its quality though.

TS- the gauge size is AWG- American measurements.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by R45VT
It sure can. Does not mean its quality though.

TS- the gauge size is AWG- American measurements.

I know there is no correlation between the thickness and quality. However wouldn't a thicker cable make for less voltage drop and allow more signal through?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
KrymsinViking
311 IQ
Sounds good. I'll have to pick myself up a better cable next time I'm at the Center. Thanks guys.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I also recommend the Monster Cable, although I bought their higher quality one for my speaker cable. It wasn't that much more expensive, and I wasn't about to cheap out in that department. Whether or not it actually provides any bonus or improved quality is to be determined, but it gives me the peace of mind that I didn't spare any expense for that part.

I'm pretty OCD about my speaker cable, though. One simple mistake and I fried my amp. In fact, I've used electrical tape to tape over every jack on my head and cab that I don't use so that I only have one option for each end of that cable.

I accidentally plugged my backup amp (friend's Blues Junior) into the wrong plug on my cab at a gig once and it took me a while to realize that it was the issue of why I had no sound. Luckily, it was fine, but I learned my lesson.

As for getting a cable that is quality, my philosophy on that is just to get one with a lifetime warranty. If a company is guaranteeing that their cable will last you a lifetime or else they'll replace it for free, then it's going to be quality or they're going to be out of business soon. Personally, I stick with Monster Cable, but there are plenty of quality brands, including Live Wire.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0

I'm pretty OCD about my speaker cable, though. One simple mistake and I fried my amp. In fact, I've used electrical tape to tape over every jack on my head and cab that I don't use so that I only have one option for each end of that cable.

That's a good idea. I always wanted to put colored tape on my cables and colored tape under/over the jacks they correspond to, but that's a good idea as well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
I would recommend the speaker cable being completely different than any of the instrument cables that way you do not confuse them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Not sure about Monster but I know Live Wire uses a black sleeve instead of the blue on their instrument cables.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Not sure about Monster but I know Live Wire uses a black sleeve instead of the blue on their instrument cables.

I would get one more different than just that. Last thing you need is to grab the wrong cable in the dark at a show. Tapping off the jacks is a must as well.

Also I PM'd you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I don't know about other people's setups, but I couldn't mess that up. The speaker cable is the only 3' cable I have, the rest are all either 15' and longer, or 6" patch cables.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
My speaker cables are made out of mains extension cables. No chance of mixing those up with instrument cables, even in the dark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member
3,030 IQ
you guys are mamin me paranoid about speaker cables. so i ordered a mogami gold speaker cable today, i assume thats its good, i have 2 mogami instrument cables. their improved my so by a substantial amount. anyone who says cables dnt make a difference in tone clearly has not had a good cable. (also, i ordered a cae wah today
greenwgreg
Rhythm Guitarist
1,337 IQ
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
. (also, i ordered a cae wah today

You are going to love that, I just got mine Thursday. It's a creampuff.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Last edited by greenwgreg at Jan 7, 2013,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
That's a good idea. I always wanted to put colored tape on my cables and colored tape under/over the jacks they correspond to, but that's a good idea as well.

I've already done that with my Effects Loop

I planned on doing it with my entire rig, but ran out of tape colors

Edit:

I'm with you on the 3' length versus the length of any instrument cables.

I only have two cables that are gold-tipped, too. My instrument cable, which is 21' and my Speaker cable, which is 3'

If you can confuse those, dark be damned, you are good at confusing shit. It also helps that the instrument cable has an angled jack on one end.

This whole conversation reminds me that I need to get some new cables for my effects loop and a new XLR cable.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jan 7, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,436 IQ
colored zip ties (of course clipping the end). i have like eight different colors, keeps sanity for the most part. and yuck tape is sticky once you take it off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by Viban
I know there is no correlation between the thickness and quality. However wouldn't a thicker cable make for less voltage drop and allow more signal through?

Current is what drives a speaker. Voltage drop is so insignificant as to not matter. The resistances we're talking about are fractions of an Ohm, even with a really shitty cable. Speaker cable mojo is pretty much bull shit, as there aren't really any factors regarding why they should sound different like instrument cables.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs