Page 412 of 412
The funniest is when somebody doesn't realize when everybody is laughing at them and not with them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
So apparently fake FGN's are now a thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112425901568?rmvSB=true

. Scarf joint at the headstock. All FGN Neo Classics have 1 pc necks.
. FGN headstock inlay logo is absolutely enormous. Way too large.
. S/N is too big and too high up the headstock.
. CFS information is off-center of the headstock. I'm very doubtful this guitar actually has CFS at all.
. S/N font is the wrong colour
. Truss rod cover is the wrong shape and way too large
. Headstock veneer is finished in satin. I don't know a single FGN Neo Classic that has that finish on the headstock
. Neo Classic silk screen is in the wrong place and too big
. Fake Gotoh tuners have super obvious tooling marks on the tulip button shafts (could've been changed)
. Bridge and tailpiece are totally wrong (probably changed out by the owner)
. Strap buttons are completely the wrong shape (could've been changed out by the owner)
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
FGN's had drilled in ABRs so the fact that it has studs and inserts is a red flag for me. Probably just another chinese knockoff. 

Also the backplates make me want to puke. The GT flake also looks bad
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
FGN's had drilled in ABRs so the fact that it has studs and inserts is a red flag for me.  

That's true. Should've picked up on that earlier.

Previous owner, probably knowing it was fake, has obviously changed the bridge at some point in an attempt to 'disguise' the inserts as part of his bridge modification. But why anyone would want to change it in the first place raises an eyebrow. The Gotoh ABR is a really good bridge and many like the fact the studs are drilled into the wood. Keeps the corksniffers happy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The scarf joint is hilarious though. It looks like somebody just chopped the top off an Epiphone '56 LP and glued a fake FGN headstock to the neck.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The scarf joint is hilarious though. It looks like somebody just chopped the top off an Epiphone '56 LP and glued a fake FGN headstock to the neck.

There might've been reason to believe that was true if I could see another scarf joint at the heel. But I don't think so. I think that discolouration in the neck heel area is just part of the figuring of the wood.

I've seen some cheap acoustics with that style of scarf joint before.

EDIT: Just noticed the domed top of the tailpiece studs. Yup, that guitar's definitely a Chinese sweat shop jobbie.
Quote by TheSennaj
The real sin is the horn though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The real sin is the horn though

Is it not pointy enough?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Is it not pointy enough?
Not only that, but it's too pointy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Not only that, but it's too pointy.

Which is it?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Which is it?
It's just wrong
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It's just wrong

It's not the worst I've ever seen for a fake.

Nothing compared to an ESP.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There might've been reason to believe that was true if I could see another scarf joint at the heel. But I don't think so. I think that discolouration in the neck heel area is just part of the figuring of the wood.

EDIT: Just noticed the domed top of the tailpiece studs. Yup, that guitar's definitely a Chinese sweat shop jobbie.

AFAIK gluing headstocks to billets is somewhat common in fakes and cheapo guitars because they reuse a lot of the wood and sometimes the scraps don't end up being long enough to make a neck so they glue an extra length of wood to be able to make necks. Scarfs aren't exclusively done at the heel. Am I missing something? 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
AFAIK gluing headstocks to billets is somewhat common in fakes and cheapo guitars because they reuse a lot of the wood and sometimes the scraps don't end up being long enough to make a neck so they glue an extra length of wood to be able to make necks. Scarfs aren't exclusively done at the heel. Am I missing something? 

No? I just know that scarfs are common at the heel as well.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
No? I just know that scarfs are common at the heel as well.

Well you mentioned the other kind of scarf joint and I wasn't even talking about them so I got confused. I didn't really understand what your post was implying.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well you mentioned the other kind of scarf joint and I wasn't even talking about them so I got confused. I didn't really understand what your post was implying.

I was referring to the headstock scarf joint.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

That's what confused me because I wasn't talking about the heel at all.

Also, I'm still groggy and hungover so comprehension isn't strong ATM.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 2, 2017,
Just got this 2016 Les Paul 50's tribute. I wanted it for a while and the Guitar Center near me had it on clearance! 

"Sookie" - Bill
Last edited by ESPOMAN at Jun 4, 2017,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah, I guess what I was thinking was that modding wasn't such a Thing until around the time vintage Les Pauls became a Thing, but maybe I'm wrong about that? And I suppose with early '50s Les Pauls those mods are kind of about practical considerations as much as personalising.

In the sixties, you couldn't get an LP with large frets, humbuckers and a burst finish new, so you converted what WAS available, which included gold tops from the late '50's. In fact, since Gibson had its head up its anal orifice when they introduced the LP again in the late '60's and didn't produce a standard with large frets, full-size humbuckers and a CSB finish, some of THOSE were converted as well. There just wasn't much value to anything that did NOT have those specs.

"Modding" really didn't become much of a thing until the '80's. People did it occasionally, of course, but it wasn't happening at the level that it is now. One reason is that, while there were "replacement pickup" companies out there (for example), those replacements weren't viewed as drastically changing the sound.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Considering I own more than Gibsons (and TBH most of my LPs haven't been Gibsons) and this is your first foray into LP styles I find that pretty funny but carry on pretending like I've never owned an MIJ

I've never owned an MIJ.

Some (now) expensive Real Things, some expensive LP (ISH) things, some cheapos. I could never sort out the Tokais, etc. OTOH, I've always wanted a pristine Ibanez Custom Agent with that F5 mandolin headstock (unbroken), that funky pickguard and all of that inlay crap (that's all MOP inlay on the body of the guitar!). I thought that was so cool.

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 5, 2017,
dspellman
Sweet baby Jesus I would love one of those
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Even cooler and harder to find are the Antoria Custom Agents. Different body inlays, but everything else similar...Same maker, obviously.

The custom agents are really nice. Theyre a bit extra in terms of appearance but its still pretty tasteful IMO.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That's simply gorgeous.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The custom agents are really nice. Theyre a bit extra in terms of appearance but its still pretty tasteful IMO.

And downright restrained if you compare it to a pearl front Zemaitis.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Or a Teye.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And downright restrained if you compare it to a pearl front Zemaitis.

Yeah see those are something I could never really get into. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah see those are something I could never really get into. 

The metal front ones, though... 
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The metal front ones, though... 

Still a hard no for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Still a hard on for me.

huehuehue
Quote by Diemon Dave
I can see why they don't have universal appeal. But they are - at least IMO - significantly less gaudy than the pearl fronts.
Quote by Diemon Dave
That's like saying in the 70s Elton John dressed less gaudy than Liberace. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Well...it's true.

I mean, those are waaaaay out there, but I wouldn't call them "gaudy".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

It's true but I still wouldn't be caught dead looking like either of them. That's also true.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
True for me as well.

I'd definitely still call it gaudy though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster