Page 409 of 409
Carlos Santana liked it so much he gout one from PRS...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Carlos Santana likes SG guitars, Gibson and Yamaha.

Ted Mc Carty designed the Les Paul DC and the PRS.

Last edited by Gold_Concept at Feb 14, 2017,
He loves a doublecut guitar, fo' sho.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
So...what sound are you aiming for? What's the budget?
just your classic/cliche 60's and 70's tones

Zeppelin
The Who
Aerosmith
Foreigner
Clapton during Cream (I know he used an SG and 335, but still)

I was thinking of the classic 59/JB combo if I do end up changing the pickups
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
JAHellraiser

Solid choice, no question!

The Railhammer Chisel/HyperVintage or HyperVintage/HyperVintage combo might be to your liking. Railhammer's humcutters- HB-sized noiseless P90s- are also perfect for those styles, and the Cleancut or the slightly hotter Nuevo90 would be what I'd look at. And pairing either (neck position) with a Chisel or HyperVintage (bridge) would be quite versatile. ESPECIALLY for getting closer to those telecaster tones of early Page than a humbucker would deliver.

Rio Grande's Tallboy and Dirty Harry humbuckers might also be winners. Each is actually a pair of singlecoils in a humbucker housing- in the case of the Dirty Harry, singlecoil-sized P90s. So when split, they deliver true singlecoil tones.

alhaq369
Quote by JAHellraiser
just your classic/cliche 60's and 70's tones

Zeppelin
The Who
Aerosmith
Foreigner
Clapton during Cream (I know he used an SG and 335, but still)

I was thinking of the classic 59/JB combo if I do end up changing the pickups

Clapton recorded most of early Cream on an LP.

The thing is though I would probably split those guys up into 2 different sections cause they are slightly different tones. The Who and Zeppelin for the most part aren't really LP tones and a lot of them aren't even humbucker stuff. The early Zeppelin albums were recorded with a Telecaster and The Who recorded with Rickenbackers and Fenders mostly with an ES tossed around. Fresh Cream was done on an LP and the other Cream albums were recorded with various other guitars including LPs, his SG and his 335. Cream would probably be the one most likely to have all the parts done on an LP or at least buckers.

Aerosmith and Foreigner are kind of different for tones IMO. They tend to have hotter sounds than the other guys and a lot of that I would say has to do with their choice of amps compared to pickups. I would say the mids 70s Zeppelin live tone would fit in this era as well since its a bit hotter than the early tones.

So you have the earlier stuff like Who/Early Zep and Early Cream in which case I would say look for something with alnico II/III magnets, lower output and things like that. Personally I like the new Gibson Custombuckers they're doing in the newer LPs but I don't know if they offer them. Seymour Duncan also has the Antiquities that do that sound particularly well. Lindy Fralin also has a few options with the Pure PAF and the Unbucker which is really awesome in the neck. If you're looking at cheaper options, I personally like the Gibson '57 set, the SD '59/Seth set and the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF set. If you want to break the bank and spend more on pickups then your guitar is worth and hit that cork sniffer level then look up OX4s, or Voodoos or Tom Holmes. Then cry.

For those later tones like Foreigner, Aerosmith, later Zeppelin and the cock rock stuff, something hotter like a T-Top clone would be something to look at. Manlius makes a pretty sweet T-Top clone and SD has a T-Topish pickup as well with the Whole Lotta Bucker or whatever they called it. Rewind does a T-Top as well as other more expensive places. To be honest with you though I really like Dimarzio Super Distortions for 70s tones. They have a nice sizzle to them even if they don't look super vintage. I would say look for pickups with A5s in them and closer to a medium output for those kinds of sounds.

A cool little project to do if you want to practice modding is grabbing an older Gibson 490R and swapping the magnet for a short A5 and it gets you into that T-Top range if you want to try that. YMMV though.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 17, 2017,
Bought a Les Paul Studio with a busted headstock for $200.  Fixed it, plays good.  I didn't take photos of the build, unfortunately, because I never think to take photos.  I'll post some end result stuff later.   
JustRooster Gibson I assume? I don't even know if epiphone have a studio model....do they?
Why? Who knows but they sure do.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JAHellraiser
JustRooster Gibson I assume? I don't even know if epiphone have a studio model....do they?

Yeah, Gibby.  2002, wine red finish and maple on top so don't know if it's a Plus or not.
Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, Gibby.  2002, wine red finish and maple on top so don't know if it's a Plus or not.

Well if its flamed its a plus, if its not, its not.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by JustRooster

well that's a pretty nice steal then
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well if its flamed its a plus, if its not, its not.

Aw, then it is. 
i think they were just studios in '02. i don't think the plus came out until a decade later. i'm probably wrong.

either way, if it was an easy fix $200 was a steal. JustRooster
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
No pictures means it's probably an Ibanex GAX with a Black Ice circuit and a killswitch grafted in with electrical tape and no solder
Quote by gregs1020
i think they were just studios in '02. i don't think the plus came out until a decade later. i'm probably wrong.

either way, if it was an easy fix $200 was a steal. JustRooster

They had the plus back then. They also had a Classic premium plus and a Standard Plus top as well.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?53955-What-s-the-difference-between-a-quot-Studio-quot-and-a-quot-Studio-Plus-quot
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 13, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020
i think they were just studios in '02.  i don't think the plus came out until a decade later.  i'm probably wrong.  

either way, if it was an easy fix $200 was a steal.  JustRooster

I'm just going by what people are calling it on reverb.  I'm LP ignorant.  
Quote by Roc8995
No pictures means it's probably an Ibanex GAX with a Black Ice circuit and a killswitch grafted in with electrical tape and no solder

Welp, ya got me.  
i want minibuckers.
Quote by gregs1020
i want minibuckers.

You know the drill:

1) what's your budget?

2) you need a new amp..

alhaq369
been thinking about an amp, but i need a new house first. dannyalcatraz

Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 21, 2017,

Very interesting.

The Floyd guitar sounds like it has the tone control partly rolled down.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care