Page 417 of 417
Quote by dspellman
Teeth?

For some, a feature, of some, a bug.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Depends on the color and top for me.

I like covered ones on GTs and I like double creams for my bursts. My Beano has a double black bridge and a double white neck though cause Im a dork.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have Zebras on my Iced Tea Burst and covered ones in my Trans Black. Talking more sound than aesthetics, though. Could be the covered ones being in a Studio but it songs muddier.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Open coil Classic 57's > Covered Classic 57's.
Meh. If the Classic '57s on my new Trad had come with covers I probably wouldn't bother replacing them So quickly, anyway.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
JustRooster 

I removed the covers from a set of SD Jazz and greatly improved their tone. I wouldn't contemplate using covered pickups, though I have read that nickel silver covers don't have the same tone-killing effect as brass. For me, this is very much a case of function taking priority over aesthetics.

EDIT I was also able to do a before/after and side by side comparison between two GFS Memphis Gretsch style neck pickups in different guitars. They both sounded very similar before I removed the covers, the one in which I removed the cover became noticeably brighter.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 16, 2017,
Quote by JustRooster
I have Zebras on my Iced Tea Burst and covered ones in my Trans Black. Talking more sound than aesthetics, though. Could be the covered ones being in a Studio but it songs muddier.

I havent noticed a difference taking my covers off and considering most of them arent nickel anymore I doubt they would have an effect.

You cant really compare two sets. There are differences even in the covered ones so thats not really fair IMO.

Quote by Tony Done
JustRooster 

I removed the covers from a set of SD Jazz and greatly improved their tone. I wouldn't contemplate using covered pickups, though I have read that nickel silver covers don't have the same tone-killing effect as brass. For me, this is very much a case of function taking priority over aesthetics.

EDIT I was also able to do a before/after and side by side comparison between two GFS Memphis Gretsch style neck pickups in different guitars. They both sounded very similar before I removed the covers, the one in which I removed the cover became noticeably brighter.

Are you sure it wasnt you possibly not having the pickup at the same height as it was before? That can affect things too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R 

No I checked the height, and it was also more of a brightness thing, not what I would expect from height differences. I'll check it again though, and report back.

EDIT If you check TDPRI, Antigua Tele has done a whole series of pickup frequency response curves, including the effect of covers.

The apparent effect of covers would also depend on the kind of tone you are looking for - mine is clean and bright, almost acoustic-like.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 16, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
H4T3BR33D3R 

No I checked the height, and it was also more of a brightness thing, not what I would expect from height differences. I'll check it again though, and report back.

Yeah and thats also the problem with these things is its pretty hard to set up a control to actually test it out properly. Im usually pretty anal when I set my guitar up so I measure the height of my pickups on each side before I reinstall them and keep it noted. Same for the bridge. Even with all of that stuff, I dont play the same thing the same way every time cause Im human so the experiment is always flawed there.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could set up a recording and analyze the frequencies that way but thats a bit extra. Whatever works for somebody works for them. I just like talking about things like this cause I find it pretty interesting
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Tony Done
H4T3BR33D3R 

Antigua Tele of TDPRI has done a lot of pickup frequency response curves under controlled conditions as you suggest, including the effect of covers.

Thats pretty cool actually.

It seems like the material of the cover has an affect on it which explains the differences between experiences here. He doesnt really mention his testing setup though in terms of how he has the guitars and recording stuff set up or at least from what I can see on the first posts.

He did his work though so obviously there are some differences depending on the cover material used.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R

The differences could be any number of variables or perceptions, admittedly. Although having played dozens and dozens of covered vs uncovered variants of the same pickups I generally feel like the covered ones are a bit muddier on thicker.

No way to control for the placebo there. I'm speaking from anecdotes, definitely, not science
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thats fair. As with this kind of stuff its always YMMV. Heck maybe next time I take a pair of covers off I'll notice a difference.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster