Page 403 of 403
H4T3BR33D3R
Hater by Trade EST. 1990s
350 IQ
Antiquities are pretty decent pups so not a bad deal.

Anything in mind vintage wise or just wishful thinking at the moment?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
nothing any time soon that's for sure. down the road i wouldn't rule out a vintage player LP. maybe a conversion or whatnot, depends on how things go.

there's a lot of other things on my list in front of anything. but in 5 or 10 years. of course that would happen after a 70 Buick Grand Sport convertible was in the garage.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ

The only vintage pieces I think I would consider would be a conversion (with proper documentation), a 68 GT or maybe a beat to shit early 50s LP that I could ruin.

I would settle for a 69-73 GT though

That or an SG junior.

My taste in vintage cars are cheap so Im lucky on that front.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
tdunster
10 IQ
I'm in the market for a Les Paul so today I tried out the following:

1. Gibson 2012 Traditional
2. Epiphone Les Paul Tribute
3. Tokai ALS-48 [China]

The Gibson has a better neck and balance than either the Epi or the Tokai.
Pickups and switches felt / sounded pretty much the same on both the Gibson and the Epi.
The Tokai felt better to play than the Epi [marginally] but itwas not as easy for me to get around on as the Gibson was.

I really wanted for the Epi to be the bargain of the century but even without looking at label on the Headstock it just didn't hold a candle to the Gibson.
The Tokai was $100 less than the Epi and had pluses and minuses in comparison.
Against the Gibson the Tokai was no match in any department and perhaps only edged the Epi for playability due to being better setup [which can easily be fixed on the Epi].

I'm not an expert and given I have only been playing guitar for nine months I have a lot to learn. But I can now understand why the Gibson Les Paul is desired by so many people.

I want one.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Quote by tdunster
I'm in the market for a Les Paul so today I tried out the following:

1. Gibson 2012 Traditional
2. Epiphone Les Paul Tribute
3. Tokai ALS-48 [China]

The Gibson has a better neck and balance than either the Epi or the Tokai.
Pickups and switches felt / sounded pretty much the same on both the Gibson and the Epi.
The Tokai felt better to play than the Epi [marginally] but itwas not as easy for me to get around on as the Gibson was.

I really wanted for the Epi to be the bargain of the century but even without looking at label on the Headstock it just didn't hold a candle to the Gibson.
The Tokai was $100 less than the Epi and had pluses and minuses in comparison.
Against the Gibson the Tokai was no match in any department and perhaps only edged the Epi for playability due to being better setup [which can easily be fixed on the Epi].

I'm not an expert and given I have only been playing guitar for nine months I have a lot to learn. But I can now understand why the Gibson Les Paul is desired by so many people.

I want one.

Honestly, the ALS series is nothing compared to an actual Tokai. If you were to compare something like an MIJ LS or HLS series to a regular run of the mill Gibson USA you would probably have a harder time making a clear distinction. Another thing to keep in mind is you might just prefer bigger necks and Traditionals come with thicker necks compared to a regular Epiphone Tribute or an ALS (which both are slim taper IIRC). Maybe if you tried something like the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul or the '56 LP Gold Top you might find you like them better since they have a thicker neck. Another thing is that right off the bat, you're already paying a ton of cash to get a Gibson new. If you found a nice Epiphone or whatever and spent a bit of money on it to get better hardware/pickups and get it playing nice, you would probably be spending considerably less compared to a Gibson.

What would be more fair would be to compare that Epiphone to the ALS IMO.

At the end of the day though, if you want a Gibson, nothing will change that and sometimes Epiphones/Tokai/etc... aren't enough if you truly want Gibson on the headstock.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
tdunster
10 IQ
H4T3BR33D3R . I think you are spot on about me preferring the thicker necks. I will follow your advise and try to track down a Epi Bonamassa LP and a Epi 56 LP to see if I like them before pulling the trigger on a Gibson.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Yeah it's best to try out as much as possible cause you never know
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
About a month and a half in with the 2016 Standard. It's impressive how a good guitar with a good set up eases playability. I put 11s on this thing and it still bends effortlessly to the point where I'm considering 12s, but I don't want to have to widen the nut slots. My playing has improved noticeably since I bought the LP. I practice non-stop to the point of worrying hand pain. I can't put the guitar down.

My only regret is how hard this thing has me gas'ing for a good amp. This hobby is too damn expensive.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Nice, glad you're getting on with it. Is it the HP model or a T?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
It's a T. Tried an HP, wasn't a fan of the neck. Also, maybe a weird complaint, didn't like the flame tops on the HPs. Thought they looked over-exaggerated.

Currently in the phase where I'm changing strings every week looking for a new favorite set. Using D'addario NYXL 11s, like the feel and tone but $10 is kind of extreme.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Quote by Seref
It's a T. Tried an HP, wasn't a fan of the neck. Also, maybe a weird complaint, didn't like the flame tops on the HPs. Thought they looked over-exaggerated.

Currently in the phase where I'm changing strings every week looking for a new favorite set. Using D'addario NYXL 11s, like the feel and tone but $10 is kind of extreme.

Didn't think the tops were different between the T and HP. Both of them can come with really overdone flames from what I noticed.

So you like the NYXLs? I don't think I've tried a set but I'm kind of curious. My goto set is usually just DR pure nickel blues.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
I do like them, they're really bright in tone but still have good upper mids punch. Not sure if they're worth $10 a pack though.

I've also tried two brands of pure nickel 10s, and I have about five packs of various brands of nickel-plated 10s sitting beside me that I'll probably never open because I dig the 11s. Thought I'd like the nickel strings since I'm more into classic tones but it was too much warmth.

Interested in trying those Ernie Ball Cobalts but same deal as the NYXLs--will be hard to justify the price tag. I'll probably end up being a basic bitch and use regular D'addarios.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
I bought a set to try.

I'm never buying a set again though cause I'm not spending 20 CAD on a set of strings after this lol
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My goto set is usually just DR pure nickel blues.

same. and i hear you aren't supposed to stretch them to break them in but i always do. it's just habit.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
same. and i hear you aren't supposed to stretch them to break them in but i always do. it's just habit.

Well shit, that's news to me.

Guess I know better for next time.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira
332 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
Not being funny but looking at how much a low E shifts on the post the first couple times you stretch it after restringing I'm pretty sure that's saving me the effort of retuning a few dozen times over the subsequent week or so...
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
Alright well the NYXLs are definitely not worth their price tag. They're fine I guess but honestly I had as many tuning stability problems as with a regular D'addario set. Also I didn't notice any less corrosion over three weeks than with any other set. As far as I can tell most of the price is in the fancy rubberized cardboard packaging.

Not worth the hype. Will try the EB Cobalts next to see what makes them so purportedly special.

Now I'm also eyeballing a Kemper. I need a better job
Last edited by Seref at Aug 29, 2016,
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Yeah the Kemper is pretty crazy. I have been looking at them for a bit but I don't know if I can take the leap and get rid of my real amps just yet.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
Been trying out the Bias Amp demo, this shit is dope. I've been playing into Amplitube and Gutiar Rig mostly for bedroom practice and Bias is a whole other level. Not quite Kemper, but it's a huge leap forward in modeling. It's the first VST I've ever tried that accurately responded to picking dynamics and guitar volume rolloff.

For $160 I can easily see this holding me over until I have Kemper cash.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Do you really find it that great? I own AT, Bias and TH2 and I didn't find Bias to be much of a massive leap.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
I definitely find it sounds bigger. Maybe it's just the amp models I play, which is JCM800/JMP types pretty much exclusively, but I'm capable of getting this roar on Bias that I never hear on Amplitube or Guitar Rig. Haven't tried TH2.

Also, dynamics are hugely improved. In Amplitude and GR I can't clean up with the volume knob. It cleans up a tiny little bit but really for the most part it's the same distorted tone but thinner and quieter. Picking softer doesn't make too much of a difference either. In Bias it works great. Goes from crunchy JCM 800 to sightly-pushed clean with the volume knob. Pick softer and the effect is more dramatic.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Hmm that's interesting. Are you using stock models?

For Marshall models I like Hybrit > S-Gear's Stealer > AT Custom Shop AFD100.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
II'd forgotten about the Poulin plugins. I used the SoloC once a long time ago but that was with a Bullet Strat and a cheapo guitar-to-usb cable. Downloaded Hybrit after your post and yeah, it's damn good.

I like the convenience of amp sim suites, though. If you were mastering a recording then dozens of cab impulses and purpose-made effect plugins are best of course, but if I'm just practicing I like how little setup something like GR or Amplitude or Bias takes.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
That is the best part about those suites is you get everything in one. You get your impulses, you get your effects, you get your amps etc... which is super handy. For me I don't use a super wide variety of tones so I like to focus on making the few I do use sound better and just building off that. That's why I like the Hybrit cause I personally haven't found a better Marshall emulation without spending stupid money on UAD or Fractal stuff.

There are things I liked about each individual VST programs but I found throughout the years I have collected a really sweet amount of VST mastering shit, effects, impulses etc... so I'm using the all-in-ones less and less and just using the plugins I think sound really good.

I will say though, I like Bias a lot for metal tones.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
Any tricks or methods to deal with G string tuning issues on an LP? Got my nut slots widened for 11s, lubricated, and intonated. Still goes flat after a bend as though its catching on the nut.
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
I dont have that problem with any of mine.

I mean if your nut has been widended and isnt catching, youre lubing it etc... then the only reason I can see it slipping it how you string it.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
The Judist
The problem is choice
191 IQ
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
dspellman
100 IQ
Quote by Seref
I definitely find it sounds bigger.

What are you listening to it with?
dspellman
100 IQ
Quote by Seref
Any tricks or methods to deal with G string tuning issues on an LP? Got my nut slots widened for 11s, lubricated, and intonated. Still goes flat after a bend as though its catching on the nut.

That's traditional LP (the G&D strings). It's the headstock. I got sick of it so I have Floyds (locking nuts, etc.) on the things. Never go out of tune.
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
Quote by dspellman
What are you listening to it with?

ATH-M50x headphones.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
40 IQ
Just guitar + Amp

1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard with a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbuckers.

This is a chambered guitar.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Sep 18, 2016,
H4T3BR33D3R
350 IQ
Cool axe man! Sounds nice.

So Epiphone is doing a Koa LPC now. Looks pretty good.

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster