Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,748 IQ
There are no "extended chords" because they don't view harmony that way. You're thinking about it vertically. They view it horizontally. ie the 9th is just a suspension from a previous harmony that's waiting to resolve.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
chronowarp
43 IQ
Quote by Matt.Guitar
OK thanks, but what if I wanted to? How would I express them?

You could just put V9 for a dominant 9th to get the point across.

For a slash chord you could just write the chord's roman numeral/the bass notes roman numeral, but I don't think that'd be effective in simply demonstrating what you want.

Again, you're sort of trying to apply a system of analysis that isn't meant for certain things. It's like trying to put the triangle in the square hole.
Last edited by chronowarp at Jan 8, 2013,
chronowarp
43 IQ
You say you're working on your 4 part writing for a theory test. Like a college theory test? In that case, you need to be thinking in terms of triads, and some basic 7th chords. Extended harmony isn't part of the vocabulary, and it's going to complicate part writing issues for you in terms of good voiceleading - avoiding parallel perfect intervals and whatnot.
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.
987 IQ
"Slash" chords in this type of writing would be analyzed as an inversion. In Baroque writing, you probably won't find this, but if you were to do a macro analysis of later works, you will find these things. ie B/A would be V4/2. Or, it would be analyzed as a pedal tone. It could also be part of a passacaglia.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.
987 IQ
^^ I concur.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website