Page 3 of 3
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
772 IQ
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Wait. So, in America, you get taught PEMDAS? I was taught BIDMAS, which means that the division/multiplication are in different orders on either side of the Atlantic.

Maybe it's to do with time differences?

Yep, in America, we are taught PEMDAS, which means multiplication comes before division. I'm pretty sure the solution will remain the same regardless, though.
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls
59 IQ
Quote by MrDo0m
Yep, in America, we are taught PEMDAS, which means multiplication comes before division. I'm pretty sure the solution will remain the same regardless, though.

Yeah, it probably is. I would test it and find out, but I've got thing to do. Y'know, fap and stuff.
RIP Adam
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
772 IQ
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Yeah, it probably is. I would test it and find out, but I've got thing to do. Y'know, fap and stuff.

S'cool. Tested it meself:

5 x 6 / 3

30 / 3 = 10

or

5 x 2 = 10
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls
59 IQ
Quote by MrDo0m

5 x 6 / 3

30 / 3 = 10

or

5 x 2 = 10

Excellent stuff. Excellent stuff indeed.

RIP Adam
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by guitarxo
oh my gawd didn't we have a huge clusterbang of a thread like this before

edit: yes I remember, it was the one with devourke's creepy guy

My creepy guy? I know my memory isn't that great, but I feel like I should remember something like having a creepy guy.
Athabasca
reasonably kvlt
373 IQ
Quote by MrDo0m

5 x 6 / 3

30 / 3 = 10

or

5 x 2 = 10

Algebraically it's because the rational numbers form a commutative field. Division by x is just multiplication by the inverse of x (which exists for every x by definition of a field), and then the result follows from commutativity of multiplication in the rational numbers.

There's technically no such basic operation as "division". What we call "x/y" is in fact just the product "xy^-1", just like "x - y" is just the sum "x + (-y)".
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.