So, I've been selling a few guitars to save up for a USA Fender, but my budget might be getting cut by a few hundred $ because there's one I'm just too attached to to sell. What are the thoughts on the Fender Road Worn Strats? I don't like poly finishes at all (so the nitro's a bonus - Highway 1 is probably an option too).
Personally I don't like the road worn guitars. To me it's just too gimmicky. As far as quality goes, I have yet to hear a bad thing about them.

In my personal opinion I would go for the Highway 1 in a heart beat.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
^visually you could argue that the beaten up look is gimmicky, but it does make a big difference to how the nitro finish feels, which is an important thing to consider, imo.

i think the road worn and highway one guitars are roughly the same level of quality, but the specs are a bit different - the highway one series has a bit more modern specs and the road worns are a bit more 'vintagey'.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Quote by Maximus_2005
Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.

As I said in my original post, I'm thinking of keeping one of them. Although I'm leaning towards MiA Tele for some reason...
I don't see how you could say a Roadworn is just a MIM. It's made in Mexico but the quality and feel are totally different. The parts are all different too.

I think the real answer here is to stop hoarding entry/mid level instruments. Sell both of your MIMs and buy a MIA. The roadworn is a great choice if you don't have the means to get a MIA but it sounds like you do. I'm sure you love your current MIMs but the whole point here is to step up and get something new that will inspire you. If your old equipment is holding you back artistically, don't let it also hold you back economically.
Buying somethign lesser to "make do" with is never a goo idea. You will always still want the higher model you've been drooling over and you will always end up buying it eventually. It is cheap and quicker in the long run to simply wait, save more and buy the thing you actually want.

Also, the Road Worn are just the same as other MIMs in terms of build quality. What you're paying for is the nitro finish, relic job and the slightly more expensive pickups. Wood's the same, they're built by the same people in the same place using the same machines. That is not to say that they are bad guitars, but they do not represent good value for money and they certainly are not a stand-in for an MIA.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I own a Roadworn '59 Strat (it has the 50's body and pickguard, but the rosewood C shape neck from a 60's Roadworn)

I swapped out the trem block for a cold steel Callaham block.

The guitar flat out kicks ass.

People who only see them as gimmicks are idiots IMO. The guitars are built really well and the aging is more than just visual. The guitars in fact have a 'worn in' feel to them.

It has USA pots and 5 way switch. The only knock I would put on them are the Tex Mex pups, which arent bad, but put in some high quality pups, and you have a great guitar on your hands. The thin finish and the dry wood makes for a crazy resonant instrument.

I was floored when I tried one and bought it right away.
Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.
Quote by Mephaphil
Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???

Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.

Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it .

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 10, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it .

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.

Most people don't though

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Quote by |Long|
Most people don't though

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.

So they can't sell the Roadworn there? I live in the UK.

What about nitro in aerosols? It's all quite stable now though ain't it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me. Imo.

I would consider a tele ts, like you said. It would be a good change from strat, something a little different.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
Quote by Maximus_2005
I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me.

You should reread this.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.

The finish, the hardware, build quality and electronics are enough of an upgrade for lots of people to spend money on a Deluxe Strat when they have a MIA so upgrading from a MiM to the Roadworn makes perfect sense to me, although I don't think the worn is enough and I think you should do it yourself, but whatever, an upgrade is an upgrade . I would advise saving up for a MIA but if you really can't I definitely wouldn't deter someone from buying one, especially if you're selling a lesser model to get it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 10, 2013,
I try not to make any statements about the wear and whatnot, since it's really divisive and personal.

It does make the guitar more comfortable but a lot of people really don't like how it looks, or dislike the idea of having a pre-distressed guitar. So I figure, we'll talk about all the other merits of the guitar and you can decide for yourself if you like the finish.

Anyway, yes, I think either guitar is a good choice but it seems like a mistake to not go for the one that's clearly better because you want to hang on to your old guitar. If it's got sentimental value that's one thing, but it seems to be a common disease that makes people start collecting stacks of mediocre guitars instead of having 2 or 3 that are really special.
I think you should save for the MiA Tele, I literally just got mine today and haven't been able to put it down
Line up 100 "road worn" strats, and you will notice they have the same wear marks in the same exact spots. IMHO it makes more sense to get just a basic strat and beat the hell out of it yourself, instead of paying a machine to "relic" your strat.

It's a win-win situation...

1) you save money by skimping out on the "road worn" finish.

2) the marks YOU put on it are exclusive to you and hold a story behind each dink and dent. Ie: see that scratch dude? That was the whiskey talkin'
Last edited by Discomonkey33 at Jan 10, 2013,
Except that you can't get a "basic" strat with the same specs as a roadworn at that price, and you can't put that kind of wear on a poly finish.
Quote by Mephaphil

No, they can, but they can't manufacture nitrocellulose guitars there.

Line up 100 "road worn" strats, and you will notice they have the same wear marks in the same exact spots. IMHO it makes more sense to get just a basic strat and beat the hell out of it yourself, instead of paying a machine to "relic" your strat.

the marks YOU put on it are exclusive to you and hold a story behind each dink and dent. Ie: see that scratch dude? That was the whiskey talkin'

First of all; they'll all have wear marks in roughly the same spots, but they won't be exactly the same. You cannot use a machine to relic a guitar without damaging it. If they had the ability to do that, then they'd be able to manufacture guitars much, much cheaper. Guitars still have to be made by hand (with power tools, of course), even the lowliest Squier is somewhat a precision instrument. They might have finishes like cars, but they cannot be constructed like them.

Secondly; your guitar ages slower than you will. To get a finish on a guitar to be like a Road Worn series instrument takes decades of rough and constant playing. It's not something that can be accomplished naturally without that time and usage commitment. There are still barely-played 1956 Strats that don't have finish wear like that. Guitar buyers want that guitars with that wear pattern; something that only happens from seriously worn nitro-finished instruments, which cost in the tens of thousands of dollars range.

Thirdly; just because your guitar is "Road Worn" when you buy it doesn't mean you won't be putting your own marks into the thing. Also using that logic, does that mean you shouldn't buy used gear because you aren't putting your own dents into it? Plus, does every mark actually have a story? I have plenty of dents and dings in my guitars that I couldn't tell you where I got them.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Mephaphil

What about nitro in aerosols? It's all quite stable now though ain't it.

I remember watching a clip online, they would send the bodies out to a different state to get them finished.

No issue with selling, it was purely for environmental reasons.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Quote by Mephaphil
You should reread this.

The finish, the hardware, build quality and electronics are enough of an upgrade for lots of people to spend money on a Deluxe Strat when they have a MIA so upgrading from a MiM to the Roadworn makes perfect sense to me, although I don't think the worn is enough and I think you should do it yourself, but whatever, an upgrade is an upgrade . I would advise saving up for a MIA but if you really can't I definitely wouldn't deter someone from buying one, especially if you're selling a lesser model to get it.

A delux and a standard mia strat is quite a bit different then a roadworn and standard mim. Theresalot more upgradedmparts on a deluxe.

Ill just leave it at that.
"evil esteban"

"tubetime86"
Quote by Maximus_2005
A delux and a standard mia strat is quite a bit different then a roadworn and standard mim. Theresalot more upgradedmparts on a deluxe.

Ill just leave it at that.

Seems to me that the Roadworn is a MiM Deluxe.

The Roadworn has Tex Mex Pickups, Nitro finish, American Hardware, superior build quality.

The deluxe has a unique finish, improved floating bridge, gold hardware, noiseless pickups, improved build, S1 switching and coil tapping.

It's got a couple more upgrades, it's got some cosmetic upgrades but in relative terms, for the price, the upgrades seem to make sense.

The RW seems to be an improvement on the MiM, the Deluxe seems to be an improvement on the MIA. And for a couple hundred more you get a better guitar, on both models.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 11, 2013,
^ I believe you're confusing the MIM Deluxe and the MIA Deluxe, at least in tetms of what people see as an upgrade. You're also overestimating the Road Worn's construction.

I mean, if we're going to start picking apart and comparing every model of Fender Strat on every level they can be compared, we will be here for months. So, just as a little example, the 'Texas Special' pickups that are in the MIM Lone Star Stratocaster are not the same 'Texas Special' pickups that are in the MIA and CS guitars (most notably the SRV and Sambora models). The 'nitro' finish that is on the Road Worn (and previously, the Highway One) guitars is not the same as the nitro finishes you get on a few of the more special MIA models, Custom Shop models, Gibsons, etc.

It's just like with woods on Squiers and Epiphones. Yes, the spec sheets says 'mahogany', but you know that what you're really getting is some random local firewood glued together and covered with a veneer. The 'alder' that is in Squiers is not the same as the alder that is used in a £4,000 FCS Closet Classic.

The Road Worns can be marketed any which way, and yes, they can be good guitars (as any MIM can be), but they are, at their core, still rolling off the same production line. Fender doesn't have a 'Road Worn Factory', with tighter QC, better materials and more experienced builders lovingly hand-crafting each guitar. They're churned out in their thousands alongside every other MIM model. Standard, Classic, Classic Player, Deluxe, Road Worn; they're all the same. The only difference is that when Rodrigo comes to screw a bridge on it, on the Standards he picks up a bridge from the drawer marked 'Stratocaster Bridges - A' and when when he's putting one on a Deluxe he opens 'Stratocaster Bidges - B' instead. And once he's screwed it down, he hits the conveyor belt and that body moves on to the next guy.

Again—because people seem to choose to ignore this part—I am not saying they are bad guitars. They can be good guitars. Great guitars, even. But to pretend that there is some sort of additional magic put into one mass-produced guitar that isn't put into other mass-produced guitars is absolute nonsense. They're mass-produced. It's all the same. Take the pickups from a Road Worn guitar and shove them in a Standard and you've got the same guitar, albeit a different-looking one. Hell, buy a Standard and order some fancy boutique pickups made to your specifications and fit those yourself, the total will be less than a Road Worn or Deluxe and you'll get something more appropriate for your needs. Ultimately, the things the ''better'' MIMs offer are all things which can be easily bolted on by factory workers, hundreds a day, which you could add to a regular guitar yourself for less money (or buy really fancy stuff and end up with a better guitar for the same money).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
In my eyes, if a guitar has better parts then it's an upgrade to the lesser model.

You are completely right about the construction. It's a myth to a certain degree.
But the Roadworn has better parts than the MiM Standard and while I meant the 'deluxe MiM' term loosely, it does seem like the more desirable of the two guitars because of the upgrades, easily done or not. Some people just won't want to do any DIY on their guitars.

The parts are better so objectively it's a better guitar, surely?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by AlexBUltimateGuitar
As I said in my original post, I'm thinking of keeping one of them. Although I'm leaning towards MiA Tele for some reason...

I just got one...
It's phenomenal.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Flibble, you're forgetting the actual wearing process. The extra time they spend on the body and neck results in a difference in comfort and playability.

There's no magic, but the roadworns do get a little extra attention because they're distressed by hand. The frets still suck and the wood is the same, but to me the necks are a lot better and the body feels a lot better than the cheap, thick poly that goes on a standard MIM. On a mid-level guitar like a MIM, a little extra attention goes a long way. Add that to the upgraded hardware and electronics, and you've covered all the really important stuff for a guitar in that price range.