Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by xkovacsx09
from the looks of it, only 8.

Do you think it would be possible to daisy chain 2 of them?
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
No and don't waste your money on one of those. They're terrible
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
No and don't waste your money on one of those. They're terrible

Well then what would you recommend?
T4D
30 guitars and counting..
482 IQ
well 8 with mic preamps/phantom power you could have 2 more if you go direct you could use a sm57 in those 9 and 10 inputs..

Androidjoey why do you need 10 inputs or more ? 8 easily does a drum mic up ?

Lockwolf what is wrong with this interface ?

I have a M-audio delta 10/10 having more inputs let's you bring out board effects into the mix, it's is a nice option.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by T4D
well 8 with mic preamps/phantom power you could have 2 more if you go direct you could use a sm57 in those 9 and 10 inputs

What? dynamic mics still need mic preamps to sound any good, just not phantom power. so without external mic preamps you can only use 8 mics into that interface (why you would need any more is beyond me).

If there's something majorly wrong with that interface lockwolf then we might need to get ChemicalFire to remove it from the interfaces sticky.
T4D
482 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
What? dynamic mics still need mic preamps to sound any good, just not phantom power. so without external mic preamps you can only use 8 mics into that interface (why you would need any more is beyond me)..

well i did say "could"

agree not the best way to get more in but it's a option
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by T4D
well 8 with mic preamps/phantom power you could have 2 more if you go direct you could use a sm57 in those 9 and 10 inputs..

Androidjoey why do you need 10 inputs or more ? 8 easily does a drum mic up ?

Lockwolf what is wrong with this interface ?

I have a M-audio delta 10/10 having more inputs let's you bring out board effects into the mix, it's is a nice option.

My drummer says he needs at least 10 to mic his set and I need one to mic my amp and one to do vocals. If i get separate preamps can I use the other inputs for my sm57s?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey
My drummer says he needs at least 10 to mic his set and I need one to mic my amp and one to do vocals. If i get separate preamps can I use the other inputs for my sm57s?

Unless his kit takes up a whole room or something he doesn't need 10 mics. Kick mic, Snare Mic, and Overhead will do the job adequately, after that you're adding them to improve the clarity of the individual parts, or a room mic to give it a little more 'feel'. And why are you recording guitar, vocals, and drums at the same time if you're recording digitally? All you'll do is increase the bleed between mics. Honestly I would recommend a 4 channel interface of some description, mic the kit in one take, the guitar in another, and the vocals in a 3rd if possible. Otherwise at least drum in one take, and guitar + vocals in another. Also you'll save money on that because you can double on mics (e.g. SM57 can work as both a snare and guitar mic).
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Jan 11, 2013,
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by T4D
Lockwolf what is wrong with this.

Subpar preamps, bad AD conversion, terrible drivers that don't work. I mean if you wanna waste money on a product that doesn't work well, it's great at that
T4D
482 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey

yeah you could use one of These or this I've got both and work well before I go to my m-audio delta 1010

but you could avoid buying those and just give all the 8 main inputs to the drummer ( agree chatterbox272 8 mic's for drums is alittle over the top ) But if you want it, DO IT

and just use the sub pair inputs on the sm57's to layout down the tracks for guitars and vocal to get the feel and timing layed down.

then once you have your drum tracks recorded to your needs

do what you should be doing with the vocal, to the guitar and record in a dry room listening to your drum tracks ( and rough vocal, guitar mix) with headphones and re-record using the better quality inputs.

in this case you would want to keep you guitar and vocal OUT of the drum mic's
Last edited by T4D at Jan 11, 2013,
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
Unless his kit takes up a whole room or something he doesn't need 10 mics. Kick mic, Snare Mic, and Overhead will do the job adequately, after that you're adding them to improve the clarity of the individual parts, or a room mic to give it a little more 'feel'. And why are you recording guitar, vocals, and drums at the same time if you're recording digitally? All you'll do is increase the bleed between mics. Honestly I would recommend a 4 channel interface of some description, mic the kit in one take, the guitar in another, and the vocals in a 3rd if possible. Otherwise at least drum in one take, and guitar + vocals in another. Also you'll save money on that because you can double on mics (e.g. SM57 can work as both a snare and guitar mic).

I told him but he has a huge 20 something piece double bass set and he wants to pickup as much as possible. But the reason we are recording all at once is to get a more live feel. except the vocals witch we are doing after we track the drums and guitar.
Last edited by Androidjoey at Jan 11, 2013,
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey
I told him but he has a huge 20 something piece double bass set and he wants to pickup as much as possible. But the reason we are recording all at once is to get a more live feel. except the vocals witch we are doing after we track the drums and guitar.

okay I don't agree with it (you could still do that on 4 mics. just go kick, other kick, overhead, snare.) but it's your recording not mine

In that case, I'd try doing the kit on 8 mics rather than 10 (I don't even know what he's gonna do with 10+ mics. both kicks, snare, stereo overhead, hats, stereo toms, and what else?) and I'd try considering running the guitar direct into input 9/10, then running it back through one of the outputs into an amp and micing it then. That'd reduce the bleed without loosing the feel you're after.
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
okay I don't agree with it (you could still do that on 4 mics. just go kick, other kick, overhead, snare.) but it's your recording not mine

In that case, I'd try doing the kit on 8 mics rather than 10 (I don't even know what he's gonna do with 10+ mics. both kicks, snare, stereo overhead, hats, stereo toms, and what else?) and I'd try considering running the guitar direct into input 9/10, then running it back through one of the outputs into an amp and micing it then. That'd reduce the bleed without loosing the feel you're after.

Well the bass is going di so its tempting me to just run straight in too but I really want to capture the tone from my amp.
Last edited by Androidjoey at Jan 11, 2013,
chronowarp
43 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey

kick
snare
tom1
tom2
mono overhead
room
guitar (di)
bass (di)

reamp the guitar and bass after.
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
kick
snare
tom1
tom2
mono overhead
room
guitar (di)
bass (di)

Reamp?
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
839 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
kick
snare
tom1
tom2
mono overhead
room
guitar (di)
bass (di)

A mono room and stereo OH would be much better.
Let's party.
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Question the balanced line inputs on the back is where i would plug the external preamps into right?
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey
Reamp?

The thing I was suggesting before. Record the guitar DI, then play it back through the amp and record the amp. Gets you the same sound and 'feel' but without all the bleed and extra gear.
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
The thing I was suggesting before. Record the guitar DI, then play it back through the amp and record the amp. Gets you the same sound and 'feel' but without all the bleed and extra gear.

thats an awesome idea i did not know you could do that. i'm a recording noob lol
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
You can almost always use more inputs.

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

That's eight tracks on the drums alone, and that's on a basic five piece kit - no rotos, no hi-hat mic, no gong, no second floor tom....

Recording a band "live off the floor" and you can add:

Bass DI
guitar 1 mic
guitar 1 DI
guitar 2 mic
guitar 2 DI
guide vocal

... there's six more, and you're still overdubbing the lead and backing vocals.

Bleed, IMHO, is really over-rated. It's often (usually) not that big a deal. Sometimes it is even desirable. And of course, there are always gates you can use. (or finicky editing, but geez... you want to avoid that if you can...)

You CAN (it seems) record 16 tracks at a time with that:
1-8 = XLR
9-10 - DI on front panel
11-14 - DI in back
15/16 - S/PDIF digital input from some other device.

In order to use mics on inputs 9-16, you would have to get other pieces of gear that would give you preamps to feed those inputs, and in the case of 15/16, one that would have digital S/PDIF outputs to feed the digital ins on the Tascam.

Daisy-chaining usually requires an ADAT connection which, unless I missed it, the Tascam doesn't seem to have.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by axemanchris

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

That's eight tracks on the drums alone, and that's on a basic five piece kit - no rotos, no hi-hat mic, no gong, no second floor tom....

fair enough. I still doubt his kit requires a minimum 10 mics.
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by axemanchris

kick
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right
tom 1
tom 2
floor tom

Recording a band "live off the floor" and you can add:

Bass DI
guitar 1 mic
guitar 1 DI
guitar 2 mic
guitar 2 DI
guide vocal

... there's six more, and you're still overdubbing the lead and backing vocals.

Bleed, IMHO, is really over-rated. It's often (usually) not that big a deal. Sometimes it is even desirable. And of course, there are always gates you can use. (or finicky editing, but geez... you want to avoid that if you can...)

You CAN (it seems) record 16 tracks at a time with that:
1-8 = XLR
9-10 - DI on front panel
11-14 - DI in back
15/16 - S/PDIF digital input from some other device.

In order to use mics on inputs 9-16, you would have to get other pieces of gear that would give you preamps to feed those inputs, and in the case of 15/16, one that would have digital S/PDIF outputs to feed the digital ins on the Tascam.

Daisy-chaining usually requires an ADAT connection which, unless I missed it, the Tascam doesn't seem to have.

CT

Based on this I think we can work with that amount of mics but do you know of another interface or a better option because buying alot of preamps is going to drain our band budget
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by Androidjoey
Based on this I think we can work with that amount of mics but do you know of another interface or a better option because buying alot of preamps is going to drain our band budget

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, you'll need 2. Tell your drummer to shove a stick up his ass if he bitches about needing 10 mics
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, you'll need 2. Tell your drummer to shove a stick up his ass if he bitches about needing 10 mics

Unfortunately that's going to cost way more then buying the tascam plus 8 pre amps witch would cost around $600 and If I bought 2 saffires it would be a whooping $1000
Androidjoey
607 IQ
Quote by T4D
specially since sweetwater has the Tascam for $199.

Witch is a crazy good deal.
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Good deal if you want an expensive doorstop. Like I said, I surfed other boards & looked at all the problems users were having with it, it'd be better to buy something better and get something that works.
T4D
482 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
Good deal if you want an expensive doorstop. Like I said, I surfed other boards & looked at all the problems users were having with it, it'd be better to buy something better and get something that works.

have you had personal "working" experiences with this Tascam model ?
chronowarp
43 IQ
Quote by Odirunn
A mono room and stereo OH would be much better.

why not just use a mono overhead and get a more focused kit sound, rather than having to deal with the inherent phase issues of a stereo pair?
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
839 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
why not just use a mono overhead and get a more focused kit sound, rather than having to deal with the inherent phase issues of a stereo pair?

Assuming the band is playing some sort of rock or metal (based on the kit having 2 kicks, etc) the sense of space for the kit is important and stereo OHs are perfect for framing the kit as a whole.
Let's party.
chronowarp
43 IQ
depends what you need to do...more stereo image...or a more focus'd sound. It's a trade. and I'd say if the limitation is mic inputs, then it's worth giving a whirl.
ToXyN
I am mine
172 IQ
I'm just a bit confused on how you have over 10 mic's, so probably well over a grand in mics, yet your looking at a 200 dollar interface?
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by T4D
have you had personal "working" experiences with this Tascam model ?

Do you? Because if you have the money to go out and buy & try every interface, please do. I don't but when you google it and the first 4 or 5 links for reviews outside store reviews (which never count) complain about driver issues and subpar preamps. I mean, it doesn't take a moron to realize that when you see people having issues with drivers in multiple reviews, it's not a good device.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
@Chatterbox - yeah, it's not often that one could justify that they NEED ten tracks on a drum kit. I have 16 mic inputs and still usually just do:

Kick
Snare
Floor
Tom 1
Tom 2
Overhead L
Overhead R

... and then, just because I can, will experiment with placing one more mic somewhere.

But that tops out at 8.

Quote by Androidjoey

Not without spending some money. My extra 8 inputs that I use for less critical tracks (but really sound pretty decent) are from a Behringer ADA8000 ultragain unit that I picked up nearly new for about $200. Problem for you is that it sends signal via ADAT, which the Tascam unit you have your eye on doesn't support.

You could, for probably a couple hundred dollars or thereabouts get a mixer like a Behringer 2442 that has direct outputs on the first 8 XLR inputs, which you could then feed into the Tascam. A snake for this will cost about $40.

And then, of course, you have a significant cash layout in the form of a mitt-load of mics, cables, and stands too...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Here is something that is always worth asking. You're looking at $200 for the Tascam, plus another couple hundred or so for other preamps and such to supplement it, plus you'll need other stuff that hasn't even come up yet, plus...

You're worried about your band budget and you've only just started looking at consumer gear. (certainly usable, but also certainly not professional). Consider the reality that, like learning anything else (guitar, carpentry, ceramics, whatever) it will take a couple of years to get half-way good at it.

Do you want a recording, or do you want to learn to record? If you want to learn to record, then great. Know that you're getting into a bare minimum amount of money that you could buy a Les Paul and a Mesa Boogie (at least to record a full band including live drums), and that it will take time. Let's say $2500 and two years.

If you want a recording, you can go to a project studio and pay someone who already has the gear and knows what he/she is doing and spend $350 for two days and have your recording done by next weekend.

CT