My question is basically whether Mahogany typically looks good as a natural finish. I'm contemplating stripping the paint off of my guitar for a natural wood look.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Each piece of wood will look different. Typically, the best looking pieces will be saved for a finish that will allow one to see the grain.

Try it out your self, there will be no other way to determine if you like the natural grain of your guitar.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Ibanez with an oil finish:

Looks good to me.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Jan 12, 2013,
Be forewarned that solid finish guitars tend to not be built of the prettiest wood ever.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's what I'm afraid of.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
You'll most likely find some kind of wood sandwich underneath the paint. It's not so bad, with a fair amount of sanding and leveling you won't even notice the joints.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I just did it to an Agile. I messed up around the edges and ****ed up MAJOR with a heatgun, but I like it.

The scorching should sand away.