TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,144 IQ
(I have put the four *-s in the title just to draw attention)

So I am one of those who likes Slipknot, but not because they are "brutal" or anything, but because some of their songs contain complex vocal/instrumental harmonies that seem to evoke deep emotions out of me.
Like Vermillion, both parts. They are just- GOSH. Epic.
Snuff. Beautiful ballad.
etc.etc.etc.

Are there any other bands out there who make this kind of harmonies in their songs? That can lead you to the darkest misery you have ever experienced in your life?
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
EpiExplorer
orsonfacenospace
5,559 IQ
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude
1,942 IQ
You should have worried more about spelling Slipknot right as apposed to the 4 stars.

But anyway, I'm a Slipknot fan too (since '99). So check out In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, and much more.
Some of those bands might not sound exactly like the 'knot, but hey, we don't wanna be listening to the same thing over and over again, do we?
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jan 13, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ

This thread is going to go down a treat. I still LIKE Slipknots music, don't get me wrong. But it's just angst... really it's just angsty drivel in reality. They're not really exploring any deep meanings in their music despite what Corey "I <3 myself" Taylor may tell you.

But really no other band DOES sound that much like Slipknot. Though saying that modern Metalcore is becoming what many people call "Slipknotcore" taking that chuggypower chord rhythmn stuff and putting it in a lot of modern metalcore songs. I think a lot of the new Motionless in White album had it... but that album is awful.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 13, 2013,
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
But it's just angst... really it's just angsty drivel in reality. They're not really exploring any deep meanings in their music despite what Corey "I <3 myself" Taylor may tell you.

And no matter how many Nietzsche references he drops. Really, Slipknot is good, but they're not unique, and they're not the be-all/end-all of "emotional" music. So other than that CG song I posted, my answer to the OP is just to look for more music, because you're not really trying.
Quote by ChemicalFire

But really no other band DOES sound that much like Slipknot. Though saying that modern Metalcore is becoming what many people call "Slipknotcore" taking that chuggypower chord rhythmn stuff and putting it in a lot of modern metalcore songs. I think a lot of the new Motionless in White album had it... but that album is awful.

I don't know, Whitechapel has a song that's flat-out 'Knot worship all the way through (especially the part starting at 1:03 where he literally quotes "I Am Hated"), and I think it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNrwWoq5V0
SP1N3SPL1TT3R
10 IQ
Devildriver, would be the closest thing I can think of. They also use drop B tuning.